6.5 Creedmore or .308 Win. ?

I like my 308. Very comfortable with out to about 700 yards. Seems like after 700 things get tough with the wind. I think there is probably not much difference but don't own a 6.5

I'm convinced the 308 at most practical hunting ranges, inside 500yds kills better on light game. Bigger bore diameter more damage, but the 6.5 packs more down range energy, less wind drift. I have both and both are easily made accurate. For me, wind drift is the single biggest reason for lr misses so I'd probably keep the 6.5 if I had to choose. But I'm betting if you bought both and put different scopes on, you would prefer whichever had the scope you prefer lol

I've shot primarily 7mm STW for the last 25 years but also quite a bit of .300wm and .300 Rum.

After I bought my .260 AR I was truly impressed with it at med/long range on coyotes and smaller game but never shot anything bigger with it past 300yds or so.

A couple of years ago I bought the Gen 2 and Ruger FTW's just to compare the two and to have something lighter and lower recoil for my little wife to shoot occasionally.

Once I dedicated myself to shooting the .260 pretty well exclusively for 2 years I really got a chance to see it's potential and I've been pretty well stunned with the results.

With the right bullet, right rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to stretch out well beyond 700yds on deer or 500 on hogs and I've been very successful doing both.

Admittedly I'm probably more careful with bullet placement shooting the .260's than with the bigger, more powerful calibers but I've dropped everything I've shot with it stone dead in their tracks so far and that encompasses more than thirty big hogs and a couple of dozen deer.

As much as I like to shoot and as often as I do so, going to the .260 may be the smartest move I've made in firearms in a couple of decades.
I'm with you on this one. I've also fallen in love with the .260 and have a hard time leaving it at home when I get to go hunting or to the range. I actually traded off my only 308, I know that's verboten, for some top quality glass to put on it, and haven't looked back.

Hey capt rb what length barrel are you running to get those velocities with the rl26 I haven't tried it yet.I just been running imr 4350 and its a bit sensitive but awesome accuracy at 41 grs. and no pressure issues even at 100 deg in summer with 140 bergers.

Hey capt rb what length barrel are you running to get those velocities with the rl26 I haven't tried it yet.I just been running imr 4350 and its a bit sensitive but awesome accuracy at 41 grs. and no pressure issues even at 100 deg in summer with 140 bergers.
24" barrel. I'm using a crony so my speeds might not be as high as it is printing however it has been fairly consistent when we have overcast flat light vs bright and sunny. Also running a 215m for a primer

Here is my take on this topic. I, along with most people are invested into .308 and or multiple other .30cal rifles. Its not cheap or easy to just move to another cal completely. So the .308 will live forever in my book. The .308 is a good round and a 6.5 creedmoor isn't going to make you a better shooter. The 6.5 creedmoor is probably a better round in most aspects but by small margins.

If you aren't invested in dies, brass, bullets and other caliber specifics, get the 6.5 creedmoor. Or if you are just looking for something new...well get the creedmoor.

Sounds like RE 26 is the fastest powder. Ive had great luck with berger classic hunters in my 7mmRM. Ill likely try some of the bergers. And maybe some ELDx.
It is in the larger cases for sure but I found myself running out of case capacity fast in the .260's and I don't like shooting heavily compressed loads.

I'm running 47.5-48.5gr of RL19 right now with 130-140gr bullets and really liking what I'm seeing.

Have you or anyone tried accubond LR
Their 142gr has .719bc and really carries energy out to 900yds?
The ABLR's BC's are inflated by about 10% so start there.

I shot quite a few of them in both .260 and .264wm and was very satisfied with both their accuracy and terminal performance.

I have about fifty more loaded up right now for the .260 I'll probably start shooting next week.

I emailed alliant today about RL26 load data for the 6.5 creedmore and they responded they dont have any!

I emailed alliant today about RL26 load data for the 6.5 creedmore and they responded they dont have any!
That my friend is the problem with all of the new Alliant powders, there's very little load data available for them.

I looked to comparable data for powders with similar burn rates, started low, and worked up.

I'm still trying to narrow down a starting load for the 375R and RL19.

It's more trouble but so far it's problem to be worth the extra work.

Someone with Quick Load may be able to give you a good starting point to work up from.

In this case size though I think you'd be happier and get better results with RL17/19.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts