6.5 Creedmore or .308 Win. ?

coop2564

Which would you choose and why?

Thinking of getting a Bergara HMR for target and hunting for 400 lb animals or smaller.

Here's why I went with the 308. Longer barrel life. Cheaper brass, way better bullet selection. More powder options. Better selection of rifle choices . Not like we are seeing hundreds of 308's for sale because the 6.5 creed made the 308 obsolete!

Some say the creed recoils less! I have s 26" bull barrel on my 308. Shot it all day without a problem. Accuracy, I shoot ragged one hole 5 shot groups with the 308. Good enough for me. Will the creed do better? Maybe, maybe not!

My turn...working on my 3rd 6.5 Creedmoor (2 bolts, 1 AR), why, because it's just plain accurate and fun to shoot and more shooting is never a bad thing! I hadn't shot my .308's in years and at the end of the day, you're lobbing 175SMK at 1000yds and beyond.

No bullet selection? No powder selection? No brass selection? I think not. Many manufactures of bullet, brass and powder! The 6.5 Creedmoor is not limited to Hornady brass and H4350.

:)

I'm convinced the 308 at most practical hunting ranges, inside 500yds kills better on light game. Bigger bore diameter more damage, but the 6.5 packs more down range energy, less wind drift. I have both and both are easily made accurate. For me, wind drift is the single biggest reason for lr misses so I'd probably keep the 6.5 if I had to choose. But I'm betting if you bought both and put different scopes on, you would prefer whichever had the scope you prefer lol

Why or what makes the creedmore have better (less) wind drift?

Not meaning to hyjack just thought wind drift will be less the heavier the bullet and more velocity helps some?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.