6.5 creedmore

^^^ This!

Anybody else notice that the original poster of this thread dropped out of this discussion early into page two, yet here we are, 7 full pages in and continuing to debate back and forth on a well hammered topic?

Didn't somebody say something about a dead horse earlier in this thread? 😆
It's a discussion forum, we "discuss" often even after the OP's questions have been addressed.

^^^ This!

Anybody else notice that the original poster of this thread dropped out of this discussion early into page two, yet here we are, 7 full pages in and continuing to debate back and forth on a well hammered topic?

Didn't somebody say something about a dead horse earlier in this thread? 😆
Mmmmm, dead horses are delicious.
Dang it now I'm hungry and want a horse steak.

There's no doubt, the 6.5 CM is a great general purpose rifle cartridge! It was designed for the average American hunter and shooter. With 140-147gn bullets it's capable of 4 in groups at 600yds with factory ammo in most modern rifles. It's fairly flat shooting, has mild recoil, and is more accurate than most Hunting calibers! It's more than capable of taking Any American deer or antelope. No wonder the average US shooter loves this cartridge! It's the current best seller in the US, followed by the 7mm-08 and 7mm RemMag!

6.5CM is not alone also way over hyped:
350unlegendary
6arc(not a 308)
300prc(actually the same as a 300wm)
6.8western(don't even me started)

All 5 of these calibers are very useful and fit in very necessary places on the spectrum. All 5 were marketed way over their potential. However, can we really blame Hornady/Winchester/Browning for this? Look at what happened to Federal's 224valkirie. If your a manufacturer and you want to innovate you have to sell it in a way that enough people will buy it to cover the cost of something new. The real problem isnt with Hornady/Winchester/Browning/Federal/Remington. The problem is with our generation of IPhone, ticktock, YouTube, Twitter users. Everything is instant gratification and people buy the thing that looks the flashiest on the surface.
Experiment:
find someone you know who owns no guns and has never been hunting. Talk to them about guns and hunting. I'll bet that if they can be interested in in it at all the first thing they want to buy for hunting is an AR15 in 556! Nothing wrong with that for Hogs and southern deer!
Funny story:
I had a hipster friend of mine ask me to help him build a rifle because we already built an AR pistol. He tells me that he wants it to be in 7.62-556 and be as powerful as a 30-06 but as light and short as an M4! This man is an NCO in the US Army! He got discouraged about it and never built it after I tried to explain to him that you couldn't fit a 30-06 in a stanag magazine. Lol 😂😂🤣

6.5CM is not alone also way over hyped:
350unlegendary
6arc(not a 308)
300prc(actually the same as a 300wm)
6.8western(don't even me started)

All 5 of these calibers are very useful and fit in very necessary places on the spectrum. All 5 were marketed way over their potential. However, can we really blame Hornady/Winchester/Browning for this? Look at what happened to Federal's 224valkirie. If your a manufacturer and you want to innovate you have to sell it in a way that enough people will buy it to cover the cost of something new. The real problem isnt with Hornady/Winchester/Browning/Federal/Remington. The problem is with our generation of IPhone, ticktock, YouTube, Twitter users. Everything is instant gratification and people buy the thing that looks the flashiest on the surface.
Experiment:
find someone you know who owns no guns and has never been hunting. Talk to them about guns and hunting. I'll bet that if they can be interested in in it at all the first thing they want to buy for hunting is an AR15 in 556! Nothing wrong with that for Hogs and southern deer!
Funny story:
I had a hipster friend of mine ask me to help him build a rifle because we already built an AR pistol. He tells me that he wants it to be in 7.62-556 and be as powerful as a 30-06 but as light and short as an M4! This man is an NCO in the US Army! He got discouraged about it and never built it after I tried to explain to him that you couldn't fit a 30-06 in a stanag magazine. Lol 😂😂🤣
Hey your preaching to the choir , with me , I'm with you and have been saying, that social media ,the net ,it all helped push the whole shooting, and long range shooting ,new calibers etc to a lot more popular thing .
The bright side to the constant arguing over the creedson is ,I hope all the he new gun enthusiast will strengthen the gun ownership ,gun rights etc... for our side.

I think I will call it the Creedson Clearwater Revival.

Hey your preaching to the choir , with me , I'm with you and have been saying, that social media ,the net ,it all helped push the whole shooting, and long range shooting ,new calibers etc to a lot more popular thing .
The bright side to the constant arguing over the creedson is ,I hope all the he new gun enthusiast will strengthen the gun ownership ,gun rights etc... for our side.

I think I will call it the Creedson Clearwater Revival.
I've been shooting guns for along time, (since I was a kid with a crossman)

But, the creedmoor was the cartridge that took me past 300yards.

I would never consider getting a .243 Win or .260 Rem after shooting & loading ammo for 6mm Creedmoor & 6.5 Creedmoor. In addition to the intelligent design of the Creedmoor's, I have the option of acquiring easily obtained brass that uses either small or large rifle primers. That option allows me to distribute my primer supplies better between other rifles - like save my LRP's for other calibers. Gross deficiencies with the .243 W have always left me dissatisfied, it works but only that. I have a .260 Rem, actually a 6.5-.308 and have retained that because of the availability plentiful cheap .308 brass that I neck down, and neck turn but have no plans to get another .260.

I like to enjoy the success of others and its fruits.

Last edited:
Ok seriously WTH is the extreme hype over the 6.5creed I understand it was designed as a long range target gun but really guys it's still a 243
Ok yes it does (work) but as a processor I'm really tired of hearing how far these " hunters" are trying to kill animals because they can ring a dong at further distance
Today's 6.5 CM's popularity/success was not an overnight sensation as it has been around for over a decade. Whether you like it or not, hype or not, it is simply a personal choice - I personally welcome more choices; it's what makes America great. I own a 6.5 CM, but it is not my primary weapon in .264 Cal; I have the nostalgic 6.5x55 Swede and the good ole .264 WM. I really do not care what others think of my personal choices or my intended purpose, as that is my ultimate responsibility. As others have clearly noted, if you do not like it, leave it alone and move on; it's really that simple.

Feenix points something out that many don't seem to realize. Choices are great.
You get two groups of people. Some who hate the creedmore and say it shouldn't be used for anything but deer. But those same people will say a 7mm-08 or swede is fine larger.
Flip side you get creedmore guys that think the creed will do anything in the world and wouldn't be caught shooting a swede because it can't shoot a mile.
Creedmore fits my bill perfectly for what I use, but if I had a swede before I would not have any reason to purchase a creedmore.
I think the creedmore got popular simply because it was the first one to offer match ammo that would let some one buy it off the shelf and shoot long range.
I would love to own a swede just because I think it's a cool round.

it's an improved .308 with cheap factory options. yes, there are 50 other rounds that also work better than the .308. shoot one of those if you dont want a creedmoor. if it didnt work, nobody would be buying rifles and ammo and it would be dead. as long as people are exercising their 2A rights and not spending your money on it, who cares?

it's an improved .308 with cheap factory options. yes, there are 50 other rounds that also work better than the .308. shoot one of those if you dont want a creedmoor. if it didnt work, nobody would be buying rifles and ammo and it would be dead. as long as people are exercising their 2A rights and not spending your money on it, who cares?
The issue isn't the CM, it's some of the people who won't give it a rest assigning it magical powers it can't possibly possess.

It's a ballistic twin to the Swede and 260 Remington, a mild/moderate velocity 6.5 that's great for such things as dinging steel and shooting small to medium sized game out to 500yds, and in the right hands loaded with the right bullet, put in the right place at short to moderate ranges can do even more.

Like a whole lot of rounds it's certainly earned a place in a whole lot of gun cabinets and safes but it doesn't do half the miraculous things claimed by many.