6.5 Creedmore or .308 Win. ?

Picked up my gun yesterday. The fit and finish is really good on this gun. Bedded lug and tang. Put a 4x14x40 Vortex tactical on it. Raining today. But showing sunny tomorrow cant wait to shoot it. Cabelas was sold out of 6.5 creed dies and had no RE 26. They said they have some on order and have had on order for 3 weeks but no delivery. Guy said its just crazy how many 6.5 creedmore they sale. Since no reloading supplys i bought 2 boxes of Winchester 142gr accubonds. Not very speedy though box shows 2700.

Attachments

• 20171219_104705.jpg
    20171219_104705.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138
Picked up my gun yesterday. The fit and finish is really good on this gun. Bedded lug and tang. Put a 4x14x40 Vortex tactical on it. Raining today. But showing sunny tomorrow cant wait to shoot it. Cabelas was sold out of 6.5 creed dies and had no RE 26. They said they have some on order and have had on order for 3 weeks but no delivery. Guy said its just crazy how many 6.5 creedmore they sale. Since no reloading supplys i bought 2 boxes of Winchester 142gr accubonds. Not very speedy though box shows 2700.

The gun looks great. Let us know how it does. I'm curious to hear if the vertically split rings cause errors in your scope adjustments for long range work. I've seen recent reports that vertically split rings are introducing errors in parallax and magnification adjustment due to uneven forces to the side of the tube. Not sure how substantiated it is, but it's a growing trend tied to scope malfunction.

The gun looks great. Let us know how it does. I'm curious to hear if the vertically split rings cause errors in your scope adjustments for long range work. I've seen recent reports that vertically split rings are introducing errors in parallax and magnification adjustment due to uneven forces to the side of the tube. Not sure how substantiated it is, but it's a growing trend tied to scope malfunction.
Never herd of this. Will definitely keep it in mind shooting! Those are vortex rings with vortex scope.

Went to ever gun store and reloading place i know of today. No one has any 6.5 dies or RE 26 powder.

What brand(s) of scope

Went to ever gun store and reloading place i know of today. No one has any 6.5 dies or RE 26 powder.
Save yourself some gas, rubber, time, and stress and just order powder online when you cannot find it local. It is rare to find any RL26 in my area. But PowdervalleyInc has 8 pounders online! They have been having shipping promotions too... http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

What would happen if Hornady brought out a 308 creedmoor?
Could you imagine the post that would create!
Inside 500 not much difference. Beyond creed has the edge.
But nothing earth shattering. But ever bit helps
Love this forum
God bless
Dustin

Love this forum
God bless
Dustin
It would not be an advantage, other than being shorter. The .308 Win case would actually have the advantage with more useable case capacity to push the heavier larger .308 diameter bullets.

.308 Winchester because bigger is better...at least thats what she tells me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this forum
God bless
Dustin

6.5 PRC? 26 Nosler? Not sure it's worth the short barrel life though.

Last edited:
.308 Winchester because bigger is better...at least that what she tells me. :)
I am also a .300BLK shooter...And while they function [quite well] to their intended purpose, with the bigger and heavier bullets, you will see better performance with more powder behind it. For example, a .30-6.5 Grendel would perform better than a .300BLK in supersonic form. The .308 Win out-performs a .30-6.5 Grendel, the .30-06 will out-perform the .308 Win.....etc....etc...

With a small diameter neck like the 6.5mm, you will run out of performance sooner than you will with larger diameter bullet cartridges. You can only fit so much powder at a time through a given diameter bore. So if you compare equal cartridge sizes, the pressures are decreased the more you increase bullet diameter.

This is what we are talking about when we use the term "point of diminishing returns". It's when your performance bottlenecks and you are just burning more powder to get very minimal performance increases. That's why once you reach a certain cartridge capacity for a given neck diameter, you stop seeing huge gains, and start losing barrel life and might gain only 25-50 FPS of MV by shoveling in that extra 15-25 grains of powder over the next size down cartridge. A good example of this is the 7mm STW & .28 Nosler vs. the 7mm RUM.

This is what we are talking about when we use the term "point of diminishing returns". It's when your performance bottlenecks and you are just burning more powder to get very minimal performance increases. That's why once you reach a certain cartridge capacity for a given neck diameter, you stop seeing huge gains, and start losing barrel life and might gain only 25-50 FPS of MV by shoveling in that extra 15-25 grains of powder over the next size down cartridge. A good example of this is the 7mm STW & .28 Nosler vs. the 7mm RUM.

Fact is I had a 28" 7STW. Once I maxed its velocity it was rechambered to 7RUM. It gained a whopping 25 feet per second.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.