Gunwerks 6.5 creedmore or 28 Nosler

There seems to be a consensus on barrel wear in the 28 Nosler and other overbore cartridges. I have not seen any discussion on metallurgy that might extend barrel life in these super performing calibers. Chrome moly and 416 stainless are not the only alloys out there. The cobalt steels, incolloys and hastalloys (super alloys) were developed for high strength at blast furnace temps. They are expensive and typically require EDM equipment to create features inside a bore, but it appears to be an opportunity for some enterprising entrepreneurs to create an economical process for making barrels that would open up another chapter in firearm advancements. Tungsten or silicon-carbide bullets at 5000 ft/sec?

Consider that we live in a throwaway based economy. The market is so tiny for overbore cartridges, I doubt it would be cost effective and the ROI would be a loser. There aren't a lot of shooters that want to shoot $2.00 plus a round to hunt and the ones that do would just buy another barrel (I'm on my third 28 Nosler barrel). ONce the initial tooling is purchased, it's cheaper to just throw another SS or CM barrel on the rifle. Having said that, there are methods, chamber and bore designs that can mitigate throat erosion and extend accurate barrel life.

I would really look at a 7saum and talk to the rep at gunwerks. It's a fantastic cartridge. Basically a 7 rem mag in a short action. If you don't reload than I'd definitely go with a 7 rem mag. 6.5 cm is great if your hunting deer sized game out to 600 yards or so. 28 will get it done but will cost you. A 7 mag would be about right. If you like the 6.5 go with the prc which will work great on deer and elk out to reasonable distance.

Curious how it was hard on the barrel and how you gauged it.
Consider that we live in a throwaway based economy. The market is so tiny for overbore cartridges, I doubt it would be cost effective and the ROI would be a loser. There aren't a lot of shooters that want to shoot $2.00 plus a round to hunt and the ones that do would just buy another barrel (I'm on my third 28 Nosler barrel). ONce the initial tooling is purchased, it's cheaper to just throw another SS or CM barrel on the rifle. Having said that, there are methods, chamber and bore designs that can mitigate throat erosion and extend accurate barrel life.
I'm curious what you average for barrel life with your 28 nos?
Mine had significant throat erosion and fire cracking at 200 rounds when I got rid of it, never got a chance to see when it would've lost accuracy but I'm thinking it wouldn't have been long..

Mine had significant throat erosion and fire cracking at 200 rounds when I got rid of it, never got a chance to see when it would've lost accuracy but I'm thinking it wouldn't have been long..
First one, 300 rounds, sold it, still shooting than less than 3/4 moa @ 500 meters. Second one, fast twist to shoot the 195 Bergers, 200 rounds in a failed experiment, barrel pulled. third one different brand and 5R rifling, at 120 rounds now, shoots 1/4 to .3 moa @ 500 meters, minimal fire cracking. Every barrel will wear different but the key as I posted previously, is to not abuse them.

No expert here, but have built 4. First one (test bed) has over 400 rounds and shooting great with N570 and 195s. Tried everything from 162eld, 175eh, 175eldx, 180 vid and hybrid and 180 eldm with all sorts of powders. Borescope shows nothing bad after a good cleaning. Found that they definitely need cleaned very often for best accuracy.
The other 3 are hunting rigs that have less than 100 rounds each, so nothing helpful there.

The elves got him....it's too late. He was under gunned because he chose the Creed.
Haha. Just digesting all this information.....Never ever until did i hear about burning up barrels so fast on the 28 Nosler🤪🤪🤪 decisions decisions... thank you all for the information

Haha. Just digesting all this information.....Never ever until did i hear about burning up barrels so fast on the 28 Nosler🤪🤪🤪 decisions decisions... thank you all for the information
Definitely leaning towards the 6.5 PRC.. Gunwerks or evolved ballistic just cant make up my mind.

I don't really get the "hunting rig" thing, as if you're not going to shoot but a couple of hundred rounds from a rifle you use to hunt. If you reload, you will go through *several* hundred rounds just experimenting with bullets and powders, not to mention brass and primers. Then there's the practicing at various distances and seeing how the wind affects the various bullets at various distances. Oh and then there's the different temperature conditions under which you have to test. Then there's the shooting positions and how that affects POI, prone vs standing vs siting. I dunno, maybe I overthink it but when you hunt, and often only have one shot, you need to practice a LOT to be sure of what's likely to happen when you finally get that real shot that counts. I don't own a "hunting rifle" that I haven't put well over 700 rounds through, and most of them over 1000 rounds, and they all still shoot 1 ragged hole @100 with the right loads.

I don't really get the "hunting rig" thing, as if you're not going to shoot but a couple of hundred rounds from a rifle you use to hunt. If you reload, you will go through *several* hundred rounds just experimenting with bullets and powders, not to mention brass and primers. Then there's the practicing at various distances and seeing how the wind affects the various bullets at various distances. Oh and then there's the different temperature conditions under which you have to test. Then there's the shooting positions and how that affects POI, prone vs standing vs siting. I dunno, maybe I overthink it but when you hunt, and often only have one shot, you need to practice a LOT to be sure of what's likely to happen when you finally get that real shot that counts. I don't own a "hunting rifle" that I haven't put well over 700 rounds through, and most of them over 1000 rounds, and they all still shoot 1 ragged hole @100 with the right loads.
I see your point, but I'm a bit different. I plan on the first 100 rounds to break in, find a load and get dope. After that, I have x amount of barrel life left to send maybe 3 groups of 3 at long distances just cause, while I have other rifles out there doing the same. If you can only afford one rifle (Lord, never let that be me), then barrel life can be justified, but with multiple rifles, I don't give it much thought.

I only have two custom rifles that I shoot long range with they are both heavier than a hunting rig but I do plan to hunt with them just not exclusively I have other what I would call regular rifles that I do most of my hunting with unless I come across the perfect spot around here would be a gas pipeline or clear cut something like that where I can see a greater distance most of my hunting in Tennessee would be around 100 yards or less

the creedmore is a sales pitch and not a very good one. the 6.5 remington magnum built on a regular length action will best it 200 FPS and is much stronger case. a 270 winchester is much better also. for elk in which I live in elk country with about 40 on my ranch all the hunters here start with the 280 remington as the lowest end up to a 338 RUM on the top end. I personally use a 338/06 Ackley. I would never hunt Elk with any 6.5 unless it was a 264 winchester . I would not hunt sheep with the Creedmore . The 6.5/284 on the regular Savage action is a much better long range rifle - again the Creedmore is a sales item and the pitch is recoil even the 260 remington is a better round.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.