6.5 or 28 Nosler

HR Pearson

I going to purchase another gun more than likely in 6.5prc or 28 Nosler, I hunt mostly in Alabama with shots ranging from 50 yards to well over 500 yards, I know both calibers are long range guns,my question is how does these calibers do in the 75-150 yards range when hunting deer/hogs with them, and I'm going to be shooting factory ammunition with them also. I have other calibers so which one I choose it won't be my every time going hunting gun.

My suggestion is...short range less power....so 28nosler is out...be tough to find edible portions of your animal....way to much rifle for short range unless your accidentally walking up on an elk in timber...then a big hard bullet to make a statement.....
65prc will do it all that you are talking about..not necesarrily a short or long range....say a percect range....it will also work on an elk accidentally......even purposefully....

Either will be great. I've shot several antelope (100lb or less animal) at 100-200 yards with the 28 Nosler using 175 gn Hornady ELDX and the performance was perfect. Small entry, 1" exit, drt, and no unnecessary damage to meat. So from my experience, it will work great for what you are asking.

I going to purchase another gun more than likely in 6.5prc or 28 Nosler, I hunt mostly in Alabama with shots ranging from 50 yards to well over 500 yards, I know both calibers are long range guns,my question is how does these calibers do in the 75-150 yards range when hunting deer/hogs with them, and I'm going to be shooting factory ammunition with them also. I have other calibers so which one I choose it won't be my every time going hunting gun.
With those very close distances I feel that is too much going on at that distance you don't need that much recoil not to mention extremely short barrel life in the 28 Nosler

For the needs that you stated there are too many other 7mm and 280's that would fill your request. 28 Nosler is a lot more than you need. Barrel life, recoil and cost per round all would have me say no.

At 500 yards a deer or pig won't be able to tell a big difference in a standard cartridge and a Mag. If you are mainly hunting from s blind a barrel heavy 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Rem will provide a low (Fun to shoot) recoil level and be wildly accurate. Plus there is a ton of factory ammo for both and great selection of bullets for reloading.

I don't know how much shooting you've done at 500+ yards but there seems to be a big change in shooting and difficulty once you stretch past 500. I've done a lot of shooting 0-500 and s lot 500-+1000. It's hard to explain until you do it a lot but everything gets much harder approaching 500 and beyond, wind, bullet stability blah blah blah. So, if you want to some day stretch beyond 500 and want to keep your recoil manageable the 6.5 PRC, which I own, is a great cartridge for adding another few hundred yards to your hunting capability.

I love the 28 Nosler with 195 Bergers! In Wyoming its perfect. I have 2 custom 6.5PRC and for hog, deer,antelope size game and ranges 500 or less it is the real deal in 6.5 class, what the Creedmore should have been. The Classic Hunter 135 Berger is great, but with 8" twist the new 156 has tremendous promise

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.