6.5 or 28 Nosler

7E4FAE0F-6C51-4B39-8340-B27FA6C761C6.jpeg
I would go with the 6.5x284 and get Lapua brass and the 156grain Berger
Have not tried a 156 yet don't think I have the free bore for it but 140 VLD hunting work great in my 65 284

6.5 Creedmoor, plenty for deer and hogs out to 500. 28 Nosler is way overkill for anything 600 yards and closer.

If you are buying a factory rifle, it has more to do with the rifle and your preference in length, weight etc. If you can get either cartridge in the same or very similar rifles then I'd see what I already had and which one fits better. You can always take care of recoil with a brake, with the right bullet choice and proper shot placement, you won't get terrible meat damage at all.

No such thing as overkill!!!!,,, buuuut... need and want are 2 different things. I would however go with a smaller cartridge, barrel life cost recoil.... if something is just too close with the 28, just stick the bullet behind an ear. It'll do the trick

Yep, if it just deer and pigs and mostly under 400 yards, I would definitely stay shorter action and less recoil. I hate it when people ask about 2 cartridges and someone suggests other. That said, if you are shooting factory loads only, the 6.5 Creed has a million different factory loads with every bullet from Barnes and Berger to Sierra and Swift. Federal alone has about half a dozen offerings. Easy to shoot, easy to carry, and when you start reloading - easy to load for with tons of component options.

Does every thread have to have the C-word (Creedmoor) in it ?
Apparently so . It must be like Ben Wades pistol in 3-10 to Yuma. 'The hand of god' lol !
For what the op ask about I'd go with the 28 Nosler just for the reason if you decided to go elk or bigger game hunting your set. Up to a point anyways. Not by no means am I saying the 6.5 prc or what ever else 6.5 chambering you may consider won't kill an elk or bigger game. Its just there is heavier bullets in .284. At least for now that I'm aware of

6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, will both do the job, less recoil, fast follow up shots. Cheap to reload. 7-08 for anything inside 600 yards all day long.
The 6.5PRC and the 28 Nosler are pushing powder in excess for what you intend on shooting. In close range tight cover if your first shot is off, or a poor hit, a follow up shot may not be possible due to recoil. If you shoot at an animal early morning or at dusk the muzzle flash will look like a flamethrower. There goes your low light visibility.
However, if they float your boat! Buy the PRC or Nosler and have at it!
SEMPER FIDELIS
Marines like shooting the **** out of everything and blowing crap up!
Sooo have fun Baby!

I'm going to come at you from experience. I own a 28 Nosler and it is an absolute hammer. A 28 Nosler is a 7mm Ultra Mag with a little extra. I am also hunting Elk in Arizona. No need for this much bang on whitetail; the folks here have made some great suggestions with 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, etc. I would look at how far do you travel on foot with the rifle and how much recoil do you want to deal with?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.