Gunwerks 6.5 creedmore or 28 Nosler

For deer the 6.5 Creedmoor is great for elf I would use a net, got to get him to tell me where the pot of gold is located. All kidding aside, it depends on the distance you intend to shoot. If you are investing in a Gunwerks rifle, I believe you are talking long-range hunting so between your choices the Nosler.
Sir, you are going to wind up in big trouble...You are confusing an elf with a Lepr
How about you don't use a long range round on close range deer and it'll be fine? 600 yard 28 nosler = 100 yard 7-08. Yet nobody says a 708 prohibits eating deer? You recommend a 6.5 CM? That's a near 7-08 ballistic match ? What exactly are you trying to say? Do you even know?
I was speaking of the 195 gr bullet going 3300 per second. It will kill a deer, but damage will be great. I do know what I am trying to say. Meat damage increases when you get above 2800 fps. If you want to wait till all the deer get to 4-500 yds, go to it. The original post was about an all around gun for deer and elk. I would say that more deer and elk opportunities come at less that 300 yds, than over. Probably a lot more opportunities at less than 200 than over 200 for deer and elk. No need to get angry. If you want me to clarify or if you want to express your opinion, that is fine. No need to accuse me of not knowing what I am talking about.

When you pick 2 opposite end of the spectrum and say which is better, that's just gas, and that fart has been let so many times on this forum he could just go read one of the other 100 strings with no conclusion. Obviously if you had to pick just one it would have to be chambered in 300 Weatherby, duh. Oh, and as to the meat destruction velocity thing, it's bullet construction and shot placement. Don't square em in the shoulder with a Ballistic and you may get a meal out of it. Lots of TSXs in the ribs with impact over 3K and still hang a tidy carcass.

I think the 28N is very close to a perfect cartridge. We have loaded quite a few of them. Depending on the barrel twist we have loaded them with 131g Hammer Hunters up to 169g Hammer Hunters. The most common that we load is the 143g Hammer Hunter at about 3600 fsp with N570. This is one of my most favorite combos. A legit 1000y elk round with a near 500y point blank range capability. Just think about being able to hold hair to 500y and then work your dial ups after 500y. How cool is that?!? Lets say that the barrel life is 600 rounds. I think it is much higher than that for a hunting rifle, but we will use 600 for arguing. If a guy shoots 25 shots per year in his hunting rifle that means this hunting rifle would last 24 years before needing to be re-barreled. For an awful lot of us that is long enough that it will be passed down to the next generation.

Barrel burners are far too often over looked because of internet lore. Get the rocket sled and treat it right for a lifetime of fantastic hunting.
I personally wouldn't shoot only 25 rounds a year in my dedicated LR rifle
I feel that we're getting duped into the fastest and highest bc hype, with the belief that it'll make up for lack of trigger time (with the actual rifle used for hunting).

I've owned a 28 nos, its very hard on barrels.
My advice would be to pick a bonded or monolith bullet ( heard great things about your hammers) for elk, way more important than velocity

I personally wouldn't shoot only 25 rounds a year in my dedicated LR rifle
I feel that we're getting duped into the fastest and highest bc hype, with the belief that it'll make up for lack of trigger time (with the actual rifle used for hunting).

I've owned a 28 nos, its very hard on barrels.
My advice would be to pick a bonded or monolith bullet ( heard great things about your hammers) for elk, way more important than velocity
Curious how it was hard on the barrel and how you gauged it.

If you reload one of my favorite is the 280 remington, 140's for deer, 160's for bigger stuff. Easy on the shoulder, accurate and at most ranges will do what ever you ask of it. If a little more is needed 280Ai. Either with the right bullet is a winner in my opinion.

Anything above a .243 is effective on whitetail deer to 300 yds. 270 and above for longer ranges. Elves, gnomes, gremlins and snipe are time-shifters, and you can't hit them with kinetic weapons. Only children under ten years of age have senses fast enough to see them. You need an auto-firing 100kW laser cannon with microsecond targeting sensors to bag them. Be advised, they are typically found under beds and in closets at night, so the laser might take out a portion of your house. You should also be prepared for a ribbing if you give this group the slightest opportunity. There are lots of frustrated humorists lurking in the shadows.

There seems to be a consensus on barrel wear in the 28 Nosler and other overbore cartridges. I have not seen any discussion on metallurgy that might extend barrel life in these super performing calibers. Chrome moly and 416 stainless are not the only alloys out there. The cobalt steels, incolloys and hastalloys (super alloys) were developed for high strength at blast furnace temps. They are expensive and typically require EDM equipment to create features inside a bore, but it appears to be an opportunity for some enterprising entrepreneurs to create an economical process for making barrels that would open up another chapter in firearm advancements. Tungsten or silicon-carbide bullets at 5000 ft/sec?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.