6.5 Creedmore max load

TackDriv3r

I am about to start a load development on my Custom 6.5 Creedmore. 591 Surgeon and a 30 inch Shilen Select Match #7 barrel. I googled loads off Hornady and Nosler websites, but shows a min and max window but was wondering if I can go over max with a 30 inch barrel and what velocity will I expect. I was wondering how hard and how fast you guys ( 28 to 30 inch barrels ) are pushing the 130 and 140 grain Bergers. I was thinking to start with H4350 and what charge are you guys using?

Going over max will just eat up your throat faster.

As a rule "max loads" as published used to be reduced by 5-10% below the actual average max loads that were tested to avoid liability concerns. That may or may not be the case today so be careful.

If you see pressure signs back off, the extra velocity isn't worth it and max loads are rarely going to prove to be your most accurate load anyhow.

If you want to go faster than the 6.5 CM's max loads move to a bigger case.

Going over max will just eat up your throat faster.

As a rule "max loads" as published used to be reduced by 5-10% below the actual average max loads that were tested to avoid liability concerns. That may or may not be the case today so be careful.

If you see pressure signs back off, the extra velocity isn't worth it and max loads are rarely going to prove to be your most accurate load anyhow.

If you want to go faster than the 6.5 CM's max loads move to a bigger case.

Like maybe one of my 6.5x284s

Tagging in here too. I got my 6.5 creed and haven't started loading yet but kitchen is done so I get my garage back

I'm with Wildrose, a little less clicks on the turret is all you'll see in going over max. I would go with a bigger case. The Creedmoor will do what it was designed to do, at 2700 fps with a 140 grain bullet. It's gets to 1000 with about 10 Mils or slightly less, but the energy is just not there to be a effective 1000 yard hunting cartridge, but for steel and paper, it's a truly awesome little round...

Thanks guys, I just needed a few opinions. I agree that going max eats up throats faster and accuracy also suffers sometimes when going too hot. I do have a 6.5 x 284 and it runs a mild load at 2980 fps with a 123 Sierra. Using 50.5 gr. of H4831SC and shoots .1 to .2 MOA, if it shoots good, why go hotter. I have done the ladder test on it, it does shoot the same groups with 52.5 grains also, but stuck with 50.5 grains.

I am going to do the ladder test at 200 yards, will start at 41.5 grains on H4350 for the 6.5 Creedmore pushing a 130 Berger Hybrid. I'll keep you posted on the results soon. Thanks again.

Ya not sure I'd push it to hard. I went over max on my .257 Roy before I saw pressure and accuracy came around to. Never made it to pressure signs cause I got what I wanted. On the flip side I have two others that badly flatten primers over a grain south of book max. So every rifle is different always best to find the safe load for your rifle.
On a side not I was picking up brass from my dad the other day and noticed all his primers were REALLY flat. All factory 300 win mag superformance rounds got me thinking I might have to take a closer look at his stuff.

I would stay at the recommended pressures. Getting a few more fps while sacrificing primer pockets and throat life isn't worth it. If you wanted a faster cartridge, you should have just chambered the rifle in 6.5x284. Don't try to make something that it's not. Increasing barrel length does not increase the ability to load a cartridge hotter.

There has been a few test showing the increase in barrel length, with the 6.5 Creedmoor, didn't increase velocity, it actually went down slightly. The particular cartridge capacity reaches the point of diminishing returns after 24-26".... 22-24" seems to be ideal in this capacity, in my opinion...

Not hurting feelings at all. Just wanted the 30 inch for F Class soon, and you can always set back later in case your chamber is shot up. I'll keep an eye out for high pressure signs, but will stick under max or right at max. Hopefully it should gain velocity before I get to max. Speed is not what I am looking for, just asking about what you guys are using. I am just looking for accuracy. Thanks for the input.

Can't help you on the load yet as I'm waiting on mine and using my brothers ar with factory loads to break In And collect some brass. I like long barrels that's actually the reason I'm building my creed as I've realized I don't have anything with a short barrel on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.