6.5 Creedmore or .308 Win. ?

So what are your REAL numbers for the .308 Win? I hover right at 2,500 FPS MV with a 215 Hybrid in my 24" barrel.
\

Just read the link Creedmoor shooter added above with your data. I haven't tried the 215's yet, 2500 with them changes things a bit. I'm averaging 2580 with the 200's and 2780 with the 140's. My earlier statement was based off my experience with my rifles though.

I have the berger manual but never use it. They are very conservative on they're creed data. The new stuff they just put out is much better
That would explain the discrepancies. Like I said, I was just using manual data, as I don't own one. They are also very conservative on their .308 Win data, as well.

I've never seen a cartridge that rivaled handload precision with factory ammo the way the Creedmoor does. You might get lucky with off the shelf 308 ammo. Perhaps FGMM. In comparison, the Creedmoors stack about everything into 1/2 MOA groups in varying price points from the Ruger American up to full custom. Honestly, with factory ammunition I'm happy with up to 3/4 MOA from the 308, but with the CM if it's not better than 1/2 MOA it's a throw away.

Handloads are a different story all together. 1/2 MOA or better is the standard for the 308 and 1/4 MOA with the CM. It's just what I've come to expect from having a couple CMs in the safe alongside a 308.

Im starting to lean toward the 6.5. Reason being i have a 3006, 300 wsm and 2 7RM's so i have everything the 308 can do beat. On my smaller guns i only have a 6.8 spc ll which is only good energy wise to about 350yds. So the 6.5 could extend that out a lot for deer and varmints along with nice target shooting.

With that lineup, It 's hard to understand why you were even considering a 308 to start with, but your question is a real popcorn popper for sure.

6.5 Creedmoor, or 308.

If you shoot alot, the 308 barrel "might" last a bit longer.

The heat units in the small bores at flash time have been known to get hot.

But this can be said for all calibers depending on how hot the ammo is loaded.

Hopefully more wrong then right.

Western Canada Don

I asked s couple match shooters and their rely was something like 2000 more rounds before seeing the same change in accuracy

morning, take the 7x08, neck down to 6.5x08 AI. best of both worlds.
the 6.5 creed is close to a .308. creed case is smaller. then again just
6.5 on steroids!! GBOT TUM

Which would you choose and why?

Thinking of getting a Bergara HMR for target and hunting for 400 lb animals or smaller.
Hands down I would recommend a creedmoor as I have used big magnums that didn't kill as fast as the creedmoor and the long range ballistics combined with mellow recoil I have two creedmoors now and have had more drop in their tracks kills than anything else I have used with the possible exception of my 338 lapua.they make some great factory loads as well if you don't reload.My first creedmoor was like finding the secrets of the universe for me so im a little biased.

Load some RL 26 in the creed with the 147's and 2950 is conservative. I'm in the middle of my node at 47 grns and have pushed it to 50.5 for 3018 with no pressure signs at 23 degrees. I'm sure summer would change that but your not going there with a 308/215. My rifle is still under 50 rounds so it will get a bit faster.
Conventional powders in the creed easily produce what the books say they do. You have the option to up the performance with Rl 26 in it. You can get a bit with 100v or RL 17 in the 308 but the increase isn't as much and with established loads n data idk if it would be worth the effort due to temp stability.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.