Thoughts on remington 700 long range

It was my understanding you do not want too fine of a finish in your chamber. Akin to having lube on your brass & it doesn't grip the chamber wall increasing bolt thrust.

Yes, but people only died because of negligence and pure stupidity. First, who leaves a rifle unattended that is loaded, cocked, and then goes walking around in front of it as if it's inert? A complete idiot. Who keeps a loaded, cocked, and on safe rifle in a horse trailer compartment where it can only lay 1 direction, and could get bumped around, and because if you open one side, it might be pointing directly at you when it does get bumped and go off? Once again, negligence and stupidity.

You can't blame that on Remington... But guess what? They did! And their lawyers ate it up! And just like that stupid McDonald's coffee lady, the injustice system absolved the idiots of all of their stupidity and blame, and put it squarely on the big corporation.
MudRunner, what got Remington was Walker showed them a design change that would cost $0.05 to alleviate problem. Remington turned it down. You may live out west and only take long shots with plenty of time to chamber a round. There's a hunt we usually do midday in the south after a morning of still hunting it's call jump shooting. Deer love to bed in cutover areas. You & a buddy spread out and walk the cutover. Deer are going to jump up and be running full speed immediately. You probably have 2 or 3 seconds at most to raise rifle, aim, and fire. I have no idea how many one shot kills I made that way. You have to have round chambered with the safety on. I didn't consider myself an idiot because I bought a rifle that the safety is supposed to function properly. I've never been around an accident, but I can see how it could happen with a manufacturer knowingly selling defective rifles. The problem with people and companies is that most don't want to be held accountable for their own actions. When I wake in the morning and look in the mirror. The person I see is the only person that is responsible and accountable for the decisions I make that day. The same applies to those Remington execs.
This didn't come from a liberal. I was trapping beaver for a $5 bounty at 12. At 17 years and 1-1/2 weeks old I may have been the youngest person in boot camp at PI, USMC VV Era. I live on a farm, have my own shooting range, and am having 2 customs being built right now.

MudRunner, what got Remington was Walker showed them a design change that would cost $0.05 to alleviate problem. Remington turned it down. You may live out west and only take long shots with plenty of time to chamber a round. There's a hunt we usually do midday in the south after a morning of still hunting it's call jump shooting. Deer love to bed in cutover areas. You & a buddy spread out and walk the cutover. Deer are going to jump up and be running full speed immediately. You probably have 2 or 3 seconds at most to raise rifle, aim, and fire. I have no idea how many one shot kills I made that way. You have to have round chambered with the safety on. I didn't consider myself an idiot because I bought a rifle that the safety is supposed to function properly. I've never been around an accident, but I can see how it could happen with a manufacturer knowingly selling defective rifles. The problem with people and companies is that most don't want to be held accountable for their own actions. When I wake in the morning and look in the mirror. The person I see is the only person that is responsible and accountable for the decisions I make that day. The same applies to those Remington execs.
This didn't come from a liberal. I was trapping beaver for a $5 bounty at 12. At 17 years and 1-1/2 weeks old I may have been the youngest person in boot camp at PI, USMC VV Era. I live on a farm, have my own shooting range, and am having 2 customs being built right now.
Semper Fi. I live in Alabama. I know how to deer hunt, done it my whole life. I know what jump-shooting is, it's the same thing as what we call "stalk-hunting". I also used to hunt with dogs running deer. This is all irrelevant information on both of our parts, because it does not pertain to the situations that were used to sue Remington.

That $0.05 fix was not what caused these incidents, that was Mike's pre-thought out CYA to avoid getting involved in a lawsuit. The triggers, when adjusted properly, by someone with the right knowledge, have no issue...I own quite a few of them, I do my own trigger jobs, as I've done for the last 16+ years, because I was taught how to do so, by a professional gunsmith.

The 2 situations that were mainly used to sue Remington were the horse trailer incident (loaded rifle, kept on safe, got bumped and went off), and the rifle left alone on the shooting bench incident (cocked, loaded, on safe, people walking around in front of it, someone clicked safety off, it went BOOM!). Both of these incidents were purely idiotic negligence and poor firearms safety handling, and ended up causing someone to lose their life. And, the shooting bench incident guy later (after getting his guilt-money) admitted that he had tinkered with the trigger in an attempt to do a trigger job prior to the incident happening.

Semper Fi. I live in Alabama. I know how to deer hunt, done it my whole life. I know what jump-shooting is, it's the same thing as what we call "stalk-hunting". I also used to hunt with dogs running deer. This is all irrelevant information on both of our parts, because it does not pertain to the situations that were used to sue Remington.

That $0.05 fix was not what caused these incidents, that was Mike's pre-thought out CYA to avoid getting involved in a lawsuit. The triggers, when adjusted properly, by someone with the right knowledge, have no issue...I own quite a few of them, I do my own trigger jobs, as I've done for the last 16+ years, because I was taught how to do so, by a professional gunsmith.

The 2 situations that were mainly used to sue Remington were the horse trailer incident (loaded rifle, kept on safe, got bumped and went off), and the rifle left alone on the shooting bench incident (cocked, loaded, on safe, people walking around in front of it, someone clicked safety off, it went BOOM!). Both of these incidents were purely idiotic negligence and poor firearms safety handling, and ended up causing someone to lose their life. And, the shooting bench incident guy later (after getting his guilt-money) admitted that he had tinkered with the trigger in an attempt to do a trigger job prior to the incident happening.

MudRunner, I regret responding to this post. I joined to learn, not get into debates. I wish you the very best and honor your right to your opinion. My opinion wasn't formed by a TV show. It was formed by owning one that went off. No damage was done because of respect of where a rifle is pointed. That and the 100's of settled cases by Remington. I retired from a large company. They don't settle unless absolutely positive they will lose. My thoughts all go back to my belief that we are all accountable and responsible for our own decisions. Wishing you a good night.

Any trigger tinkered with will go off. I saw Bergara premier go off at a competition. The guy had the factory trigger set at under a pound. It went off twice so he was DQ from those rounds. He placed 3rd with those two DQs. Jut shows what an awesome shot he was haha.

MudRunner, I regret responding to this post. I joined to learn, not get into debates. I wish you the very best and honor your right to your opinion. My opinion wasn't formed by a TV show. It was formed by owning one that went off. No damage was done because of respect of where a rifle is pointed. That and the 100's of settled cases by Remington. I retired from a large company. They don't settle unless absolutely positive they will lose. My thoughts all go back to my belief that we are all accountable and responsible for our own decisions. Wishing you a good night.
I'm not debating either. I'm pointing out facts. Whether Remington was at fault for the mechanically failed parts, or not, here's how I see it.

The end result was due to pure negligence on the firearms owner/handler. How can you blame an inanimate object for someone's negligence, when if it had not been treated negligently, or put into situations where it could have caused the outcome, the odds would have been significantly more favorable that the deceased would still be alive and well.

Leaving a cocked and loaded firearm pointed in an unsafe direction has "bad idea" written all over it. History has proven this. Mechanical parts fail. And sometimes fail even if all safety precautions have been addressed. If a hammer or sear spring fails on a gun, it can still fire on safe, even if untouched. Why risk it by walking around in front of it? If you don't walk around in front of (or put yourself near the business end of) a loaded and cocked weapon, you're chances of getting shot by that weapon drop significantly.

I'm not saying the mechanical failure is not Remington's fault. I'm saying that the deaths of their loves ones was on their own negligence and failure to execute proper firearms safety precautions. Had they not done something stupid, their loved ones might still be alive today. People never take responsibility for their own actions anymore. Especially the guy who admitted later that he had tinkered with the trigger...But I guess it didn't bother him too bad, I didn't hear about him donating the money to charity, or giving it back.

Last edited:
Its to bad that the bur in the chamber wasn't picked up in the last part of the QC check,,, that's a bumm'er,,, not saying that it dosen't happen to only 1 product either.

Had this happened to me,,, I'd of evaluated my options and delt with it through the company or with the aid of my friend.

He has a few years under his belt dealing with the firearm stuff,,, the milling tool room of plenty. LOL.

He told me that he doesn't work on rifles that have been run over by farm tractors,,, its hard to straight'en out the barrels once their turned into a Two Foot U-bolt. Ha

I guess that some things aren't fix-ible.

I'm still interested in finding out what it shoots like once things get sorted,,, that's what counts in my books.

Rifles that shoot and the enjoyment of the folks that own them. Kinda like a win win.

I'm going through the warranty process with Remington (700 AWR) right now with a similar issue (bolt won't open with casing). I was informed that once you complete that FFL paperwork its now a used gun that can't be returned.

Following Remington protocol I sent the rifle in to the service center of their choice and they don't update their Track Repairs link so any time I'd enter my serial number it would say serial number not found. Contacted Remington directly and they stated the repair center was unable to fix the issue and are sending it to the factory for repair.

All I can say is good luck...I'm hoping for some myself.

It's just a bur in the chamber. I probably could have fixed it myself but I didnt want to void my warranty if the rifle shoots like crap which I'm kinda thinking may be the case. Who knows maybe it will be one of the best shooting rifles I have. Just hard for me to put any faith in Remington right about now

I debated even telling this story since im a die hard rem 700 guy [own 8].

Last year i bought my first bad one, a lefty 700 sps in 270 to be built into a custom. Very long story short i came to the conclusion that the reciever bridges were not ground square to eachother and it was causing the scope mounts to be off far enough that the scope was in a bind and the power adjustment ring would barely turn. It also had a few other minor things i didnt like.

I called remington and explained the situation they said sent it back and paid for shipping fedex 2 day. The customer service guy was nice and knew rifles. Remington had it for about a month and they did update the progress tracking system on their site. I was contacted and informed they werent able to fix my rifle and they were sending a new one to my ffl. New rifle was in good shape and worked well as a donor rifle.

Overall i was disappointed that the rifle was junk out of the box but i was happy with the customer service and i feel like they took good care of me so OP im sure it will turn out fine for you.

Tikka is owned by Beretta... Their CS is horrible. Heard of a few Bergaras having some issues, as well...Chambers, firing pins, etc...

Anything man-made has a chance for being defective...Especially anything mass-produced. Nothing is perfect 100% of the time.

The only reason new Remingtons have to replace the triggers is because stupid people killed their family members or friends by their own negligence, and their lawyers took advantage of the crooked [in]justice system here in America, and sued them. So, now Remington has to produce crappy lawyer-proof triggers. So, everyone who complains about Remington's crappy triggers, or why they need replacing immediately, they can blame the dumbasses that killed their friends and family members from their own stupidity and negligence, and then blamed Remington. And to keep from getting sued himself, Mike Walker had to "admit" that the old triggers were "defective" on camera in a 60 Minutes interview. Which I thought was complete crap, and nothing more than an anti-gun propaganda hit piece.

Sorry you are not correct. I know people who worked there when this was going on. Was even discussed at Staff Meetings. It was real pull your head out of the sand. Unfortunately was all about $$$$$'s..

Sorry you are not correct. I know people who worked there when this was going on. Was even discussed at Staff Meetings. It was real pull your head out of the sand. Unfortunately was all about $$$$$'s..

Ruuuhh roohh

5933850B-58B5-4668-902E-BA64D0C0C582.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.