Thoughts on remington 700 long range

Creedmoor shooter

I may have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these rifles in 7mm rem mag. What's everyone's thoughts on one of these? Plan would be to shoot it for now with a rebarrel in the near future. I just dont want to walk into a disaster with remingtons quality as of late. I'd be trading my browning x-bolt for it as I'm no longer really happy with the rifle as unlike to shoot long range and that rifle isnt meant for it nor fun to do it with.

My buddy bought a late LR. It had a burr on the rail that he fixed himself. Shoots awesome. Yeah the trigger isn't the best, but that's an easy fix, get an old style trigger, or get an aftermarket one that matches your budget.

Why not rebarrel the xbolt?
With the 700 you get an action(hopefully it's true enough) and a m40 b&c stock. Trigger is garbage, and you want to pull the barrel.
I'd ask yourself what you want to end up with?
Not many smiths from.my understanding will touch a browning. I'm a do as much as I can myself kinda guy and build as I go as funds for me are not always available. It's taken me 3 years to got my 6.5 build where it is just doing alittle at a time. Theres not alot of options for stocks either for the browning and I'd like to change the stock. My plan would be to get the remongton and immediately change the trigger. Then move to the barrel, then move to the stock making it exactly what i want with no compromises, shooting it as I build it. It may take me 5 years but it will be what I want.

Not many smiths from.my understanding will touch a browning. I'm a do as much as I can myself kinda guy and build as I go as funds for me are not always available. It's taken me 3 years to got my 6.5 build where it is just doing alittle at a time. Theres not alot of options for stocks either for the browning and I'd like to change the stock. My plan would be to get the remongton and immediately change the trigger. Then move to the barrel, then move to the stock making it exactly what i want with no compromises, shooting it as I build it. It may take me 5 years but it will be what I want.
If you plan on making it a slow-build project, it should be fine. Like you said, first thing, new trigger, retorque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds. Work from there. Typically, with good brass and good quality handloads, even the new Remingtons are going to shoot decent unless something is very wrong. Make sure to scrub that brand new unfired barrel down to the white, and make sure that bore is surgically clean before ever firing a round. Then, right before firing your first round, run a wet patch covered in RemOil down the bore. A dry bullet on a brand new squeaky-clean dry bore is going to have a good bit of friction. The RemOil will help the bullet glide better and will help evenly smooth out the rifling in your bore (break-in). I think this step is where a lot of folks screw up.

Brownings are excellent actions to build off of, but like you said, not many smith will touch them. My smith has done several of them, and said that exact same thing when I brought him my ABII to build. He said, once you get the factory barrel separated from the action, and you clean up the red loctite-like material out of the receiver threads, then from there on out, rebarreling it will be no different than a 700.

If you plan on making it a slow-build project, it should be fine. Like you said, first thing, new trigger, retorque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds. Work from there. Typically, with good brass and good quality handloads, even the new Remingtons are going to shoot decent unless something is very wrong. Make sure to scrub that brand new unfired barrel down to the white, and make sure that bore is surgically clean before ever firing a round. Then, right before firing your first round, run a wet patch covered in RemOil down the bore. A dry bullet on a brand new squeaky-clean dry bore is going to have a good bit of friction. The RemOil will help the bullet glide better and will help evenly smooth out the rifling in your bore (break-in). I think this step is where a lot of folks screw up.

Brownings are excellent actions to build off of, but like you said, not many smith will touch them. My smith has done several of them, and said that exact same thing when I brought him my ABII to build. He said, once you get the factory barrel separated from the action, and you clean up the red loctite-like material out of the receiver threads, then from there on out, rebarreling it will be no different than a 700.
Thing is I dont like to be limited. I found out even with my savage I was limited on my options. With Remington the sky is the limit. I think it's just a better deal than buying just the action and having to collect parts. Atleast I can shoot this one as I go and probably cheaper in the long run unless something is bad wrong with the rifle.

Thing is I dont like to be limited. I found out even with my savage I was limited on my options. With Remington the sky is the limit. I think it's just a better deal than buying just the action and having to collect parts. Atleast I can shoot this one as I go and probably cheaper in the long run unless something is bad wrong with the rifle.
Yep, in all honesty, as long as nothing is wrong with the rifles, the Long Range models and 5R Milspecs are the best bang for your buck that Remington has to offer.

The 5R is essentially a Sendero SFII, with a different color stock, and a pre-threaded higher quality barrel, that has 5R rifling in it. And it's $400 cheaper than a Sendero. The only issue, is Remington only chambers them in about 4-5 different options...Unfortunately 7mm RemMag is not one of them. I would love to see a 5R Milspec with a 1:8 twist barrel chambered in 7mmRM. I bet that would be a HUGE seller.

Had one in 7RM. If you're not afraid of doing your own work you should be fine. Maybe yours won't need anything but mine needed the chamber polished to extract anything. I did that with a 7/16 wood dowel wrapped in Emory cloth chucked up in my cordless drill. That, and some hand lapping to cut down on copper accumulation was all it needed to shoot quite well with 168 Bergers and 162 Hornadys.

Well, that and a trigger. But that seems to be a given anymore for a 700. The 162 eld shot very good at a hair under 3200 with RL 26.

I have had three different people that bought one and all three shot less than 1 moa one guy wanted me to mount a scope and shoot it for him to sight it in so he didn't have to I shot it 3 3 shot groups right at 1/2 inch at a 100 with factory ammo it was a 300 ultra mag I was shocked

About half the REM 700 long ranges I get in get a barrel, all get a trigger and most get the handle move so they have primary extraction and the extractor on many is poop from day one. Bed the recoil lug at least and see what they do. They are the best Rem for a budget build IF you like the stock.

There are a lot of rifles out there that don't start with "need a new trigger and stock and barrel". Get a Tikka, Bergara, etc. and you won't have to change anything.
Tikka is owned by Beretta... Their CS is horrible. Heard of a few Bergaras having some issues, as well...Chambers, firing pins, etc...

Anything man-made has a chance for being defective...Especially anything mass-produced. Nothing is perfect 100% of the time.

The only reason new Remingtons have to replace the triggers is because stupid people killed their family members or friends by their own negligence, and their lawyers took advantage of the crooked [in]justice system here in America, and sued them. So, now Remington has to produce crappy lawyer-proof triggers. So, everyone who complains about Remington's crappy triggers, or why they need replacing immediately, they can blame the dumbasses that killed their friends and family members from their own stupidity and negligence, and then blamed Remington. And to keep from getting sued himself, Mike Walker had to "admit" that the old triggers were "defective" on camera in a 60 Minutes interview. Which I thought was complete crap, and nothing more than an anti-gun propaganda hit piece.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.