Remington 700 Long Range

re: Remington 700 Long Range

If you really like the rifle, then i would just order a aftermarket trigger. It can be done yourself, if your mechanically minded.
If you send back to Remington, you have to wait and when you get it back, you still will have a factory spec'ed Remington trigger, and it will still suck....

Although, you can find info on the web that will tell how to tune your trigger. I was Googling Weatherby Vanguard trigger tune, and alot of info popped up about Rem. 700 trigger. I was able to tune my Vanguard trigger to 2lbs with a little patience....

+1 and what shortgrass said if you change the trigger out you void the factory warranty. It's a pick your poison type issue.

Put that Remington trigger in a zip loc bag and mist some oil in the bag, and put it up. If you ever need warranty work just put it back on.
If it has a certain color of thread locker on it, just record what color, then pick some up, and reapply. If you cant find the color, just get some paint..wink-wink...

One of the early MarkX triggers on my Milpec bought a couple of years ago had the same issue. Tossed it and put a Timney on it. Having owned a few of the rifles with the older design which could be tuned quite easily, the new trigger seems to be a hit or miss affair, and a poor design. I believe Remington has already lost a substantial amount of market share over the last few years. They don't seem to have their act together, even with this recent attempt with the Long Range 700 intended to regain some ground.

Honestly, I buy Remington's for custom or semi custom builds. There are certain things that we know suck on Remington's. With regards to this thread we know rem triggers are a hurting point with their recall. Also, there are several threads about rem customer service sucking as well. I think if you go into buying a Remington with knowing what youre getting you'll be ok. But I agree with the OP that if he wanted an out of the box ready to go Remington then yes Remington is sucking in their QA/QC and customer service department.

Me too. I never have too high of expectations for any factory rifles until you get up into the Sendero/5R price range. Then I typically expect a ½-MOA shooter with handloads. If it won't produce that, then I take it to my smith down the road, and let him work his magic. If we still can't get that barrel to shoot, everything else stays like it is, but it gets a brand new tube.

Also fixed by a quality smith is most likely way better than anything Remington would ever do. :D

I agree with that, too. I'm not sending anything back to any manufacturer unless the gun shoots around corners. :cool:

Yet we keep buying them. Could explain why so many people marry a spouse that treats them like dirt.

I have my last one after several others prior. The gun was completely unsafe if nothing else! I also own a couple 541's, and love them. But I don't trust them anymore. Yet Remington's just one in the mix for me. I'm not exactly in love with Winchester these days, and most folks by now know my feelings about Bill Ruger.
gary

Put that Remington trigger in a zip loc bag and mist some oil in the bag, and put it up. If you ever need warranty work just put it back on.
If it has a certain color of thread locker on it, just record what color, then pick some up, and reapply. If you cant find the color, just get some paint..wink-wink...

At an armorer course a few months back the Remington rep spoke about the triggers (and the recall). He said they have a proprietary color thread lock and can tell when the triggers have been altered.

Its funny how everyone just seems to accept that if you buy a Remington, you just have to expect to junk the trigger.

I guess I have unreasonable expectations after buying Savages and Tikkas that have decent triggers right out of the box...

Just seems lame that Remington, can't even supply a trigger that meets the expectations they themselves set in their own advertising and even on the tag hanging from the trigger guard inside the box...

I went ahead and cracked into the trigger (warranty be damned) and now have it breaking fairly cleanly, and completely safely at just over 2 pounds.

Its funny how everyone just seems to accept that if you buy a Remington, you just have to expect to junk the trigger.

I guess I have unreasonable expectations after buying Savages and Tikkas that have decent triggers right out of the box...

Just seems lame that Remington, can't even supply a trigger that meets the expectations they themselves set in their own advertising and even on the tag hanging from the trigger guard inside the box...

I went ahead and cracked into the trigger (warranty be damned) and now have it breaking fairly cleanly, and completely safely at just over 2 pounds.
Good for you......I did the same thing with my Weatherby Vanguard. Now if you need warranty work,you have to rely on the millions of aftermarket parts for the Remington 700, and a good gunsmith...hahaha

It's worth the money to upgrade to the jewel trigger. They break so nice. For me its another hair to split while trying to get the upmost accuracy and consistency out of my shooting. At the very least upgrade to the timney.

I just brought home a brand new Rem 700 Long Range. The gun is beautiful, well balanced and just plain awesome.

BUT

Remington promotes this rifle as having a 3.5 lb trigger "out of the box" with a 2 lb range of adjustment. Theoretically the trigger would be adjustable between 2.5 and 4.5 lbs. I wish it were true, or even close to true.

The trigger was over 6 lbs "out of the box" and the very best I could get it to was 4.5-4.75 lbs! Hardly a long range trigger pull.

Remington's customer service wants me to send them my brand new rifle so they can look at it. Problem is they will have my rifle for 4 weeks plus shipping time each way!!! Outrageous!!! It's a brand new rifle. Haven't even mounted my scope yet and they want me to wait around at least another month while they fix a problem that never should have existed in the first place?!?

Unless you're going to replace the trigger as soon as you buy this rifle, I suggest you take a trigger scale to your gun dealer to test the trigger before sinking your hard earned cash into one of these rifles.

Same thing when I bought my Sendero SF II! My advice, buy a timney or jewel and be done with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.