Remington 700 Long Range

Overkill338

They seem to be more of what I want than the SPS Tactical. It has a B&C stock, 26" heavy barrel, and it can be had in .300 Win Mag. I can't find much about them passed that. Are they good shooters out of the box? I'm assuming it's a 1:10 twist, but is it 5R ?

I'm sorry to post all these questions, but the folks around this forum have been the best source for "accurate" information :)

I like the all black look.
79958.jpg

They seem to be more of what I want than the SPS Tactical. It has a B&C stock, 26" heavy barrel, and it can be had in .300 Win Mag. I can't find much about them passed that. Are they good shooters out of the box? I'm assuming it's a 1:10 twist, but is it 5R ?

I'm sorry to post all these questions, but the folks around this forum have been the best source for "accurate" information :)

I like the all black look.
View attachment 166658
My buddy has one in 300wm and it shoots ok. I do not believe it has 5r rifling. For a couple hundo more you can get the 5r Gen 2, which is a lot more gun in my opinion. You get the 5r rifling, cerakoted, fluted and threaded barrel. HS precision stock which may or may not be an upgrade to the B&C, I think it is, but that just personal preference. I have owned and shot several of these and every single one has made me question why I spend more on rifles. They have been amazing. I have always swapped out triggers for a timney or TT.

Thank you fellas! I appreciate the information greatly. This one is at a friends shop. It's been there awhile now. He said I could have it for $599

Great shooters. I had Kampfeld customs deep flute them with straight on 2 and spiral on the other 2. Straight flutes save 6oz, spiral saves 8 oz. Definitely 1:10twist.
They liked 215s, 225eldms and 210s

My buddy has one in 300wm and it shoots ok. I do not believe it has 5r rifling. For a couple hundo more you can get the 5r Gen 2, which is a lot more gun in my opinion. You get the 5r rifling, cerakoted, fluted and threaded barrel. HS precision stock which may or may not be an upgrade to the B&C, I think it is, but that just personal preference. I have owned and shot several of these and every single one has made me question why I spend more on rifles. They have been amazing. I have always swapped out triggers for a timney or TT.

I believe this is the best bang for your dollar when starting out shooting long range. Has a lot of good features and can be customized if desired. With the proper ammo I don't see why you couldn't bang steel at 1000 yards.

Mine shoots pretty well. I had to send it back though before I even fired it for a bur in the chamber. Trigger is garbage. Other than that no complaints. .5 moa rifle

I have one in 300 RUM; definitely better than an sps. The trigger sucks. They are a 6 groove barrel. Mine is a 1/10 twist and I think the WM is also. Mine shoots pretty good with a 225 eldm, it was definitely a good buy.

The trigger is fine if you get a $7 replacement spring.

The trigger is junk if you just adjust the little set screw on the shoe. You can further tune an X-Mark Pro if you want to void your warranty and go against Remington recommendations. If you don't care about that, you can get them down to 2.5-2.75lbs and break smooth and nice.

The 700 Long Range is a great rifle for the money. If you don't mind the extra weight over a standard hunting rifle, they are good. I had one when they first came out and before Remington stepped their quality up. It regularly shot 3/4 MOA groups with multiple loads and bullets. I admit I didn't know a ton about fine tuning handloads then, so it probably could have shot better. I have since rebarreled it with a Bartlein 5R and installed a TriggerTech. It's an awesome rifle to build on and start with.

Yeah it's really poor. The X-Mark adjustments that Remington tries to glue shut are not much different than the old school triggers. I just recently adjusted my buddy's new 700 ADL trigger from 5lbs down to 2.75lbs. It took 15 mins and didn't cost him a dime. They're nice triggers if you know how to tune them and take some time with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.