Thoughts on the Remington 700 long range.

Yep.

Save yourself some hard work and heartache, get a Savage 110 or 111. Much better trigger and a very high chance it will be a shooter.

Put the money you saved sending the 700 back to the factory on optics for the Savage.

So you're guaranteeing that his rifle won't shoot and he won't be happy with it because it's a Remington? That seems pretentious and unwarranted. I mean, I know they don't have the most solid track-record as of the last few years, but neither does any other manufacturer.

The good thing about Remington is every smith knows how to work one... And with little work, they can be made quite accurate...Even with factory barrels.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, I'll send it back to Remington.
I'll post an update after I get it broke in, and shoot some groups with it.

He's already prepared for disappointment.

If he gets the 700 I personally hope it shoots great.

He's already prepared for disappointment.

If he gets the 700 I personally hope it shoots great.

Mostly because of internet conjecture (personal opinion)... I mean, honestly, if you think about all the ones out there that you never hear about having issues, versus the few you read about on the internet on various sites, the odds are not in the favor of the negative reviews... Maybe that's just the optimist in me.

Regardless, if he's already prepared for the worst, then he can't really lose, can he? :D

They shoot. This was the initial load work up and I don't profess to be the best shot.

Attachments

• IMG_20151215_123732968.jpg
    IMG_20151215_123732968.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 57
("Personally") I would buy a Savage before I would take a chance on a Remington. Also, those Brownings are a really good rifle.

Last edited:
The Remington Long Range has a short length of pull stock. It is only 13". This maybe the reason lots of folks change out the stock. A Normal Remington 700 length of pull is 13 1/2". That is pretty much the industry standard for full size rifles. Savages are 13 1/2" length of pull. I like a longer length of pull shooting prone from a bipod.

I was doing some looking around, and I found this.
Savage 111 Long Range Hunter 7MAG Online Gun Store
It is a Savage 11/111 long range hunter in 7mmRM for $850. That is about $100 less than it is other places, and I'm interested if anyone here has any experience with these.
One thing I'm not sure about is the barrel length on this rifle, I think I remember reading somewhere that it is not a true 26" barrel, but is 26" long including the muzzle brake. is this true?

I was doing some looking around, and I found this.
Savage 111 Long Range Hunter 7MAG Online Gun Store
It is a Savage 11/111 long range hunter in 7mmRM for $850. That is about $100 less than it is other places, and I'm interested if anyone here has any experience with these.
One thing I'm not sure about is the barrel length on this rifle, I think I remember reading somewhere that it is not a true 26" barrel, but is 26" long including the muzzle brake. is this true?

I shoot lots of Savages, just not this particular one. It's a excellent rifle, probably the wisest use of your money, but it will have a longer length of pull. :D

Plus -- I am not sure how much long range shooting you currently do, but you are still experimenting (and it takes a lot) The Savage LRH is the perfect rifle. It will give you the chance to experiment with a brake since the brake can be turned on or off. It has an adjustable cheek piece which it very important for consistency at long range. It has one of the best factory triggers available. You will love the trigger. You will soon replace the trigger on the Remington. I don't own this rifle, but pretty sure it is 26" with the brake. That is not bad, it will probably cost you 60 feet per second, which is a trivial amount. The longer the barrel, the less quick handling the rifle is in general. You can still swing a 26" barrel for quicker off hand shots. I like a 28" barrel on a dedicated LR rig but not on a rifle that might be shot some in other situations. The Savage will allow you to easily upgrade the barrel in the future, if you want, you can change it yourself. There is a reason they are so popular, they flat shoot. Without doubt the best bang for your buck. Admittedly, they are not the cheapest rifles a lot of times, but you tend to get what you pay for. And to get one $100 dollars less than the Remington is a steel. They usually cost somewhat more. Get it before someone else does.

Just to clarify, it is $200 more than the Remington.
The reason I asked about the barrel length, is if I'm going to get something with a 24" barrel, why not get a model 11 fcns? Does a stock, and adjustable muzzle break matter enough for me to spend $225 more on it?

edit:
Also, this will be a dedicated long range setup, so it being long, and heavy does not really matter that much to me. (if i could find something with a 28" barrel in my price range, I would get it.)

Last edited:
Well. that kinda puts to Remington back on top doesn't it.

For cost the karsten adjustable cheek rest on the Savage ~ $75
Brake and threading ~$150
Replace the Remy trigger with a Timney - ~$100

Now things are back in the same ballpark.

Go with your gut. You like the stock on the Remy and that is not trival. You can replace the trigger later on the Remy, if you feel the need. Weight is about the same, Savage is about 1/2 LB lighter. That extra 1/2 lb is probably that extra 2" of barrel. :) And the extra weight will help with recoil. So you can throw the brake out the window.

You can also add a stock pad for a little more cheek weld on the Remy. I do that on some rifles. I even take a piece of that water pipe wrap stuff under it to get that perfect feel. You definitely want your eye to go right back to the same place easily and comfortably in a long range rig. If the Remy feels right, go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.