Remington 700 Long Range

tash63

I just brought home a brand new Rem 700 Long Range. The gun is beautiful, well balanced and just plain awesome.

BUT

Remington promotes this rifle as having a 3.5 lb trigger "out of the box" with a 2 lb range of adjustment. Theoretically the trigger would be adjustable between 2.5 and 4.5 lbs. I wish it were true, or even close to true.

The trigger was over 6 lbs "out of the box" and the very best I could get it to was 4.5-4.75 lbs! Hardly a long range trigger pull.

Remington's customer service wants me to send them my brand new rifle so they can look at it. Problem is they will have my rifle for 4 weeks plus shipping time each way!!! Outrageous!!! It's a brand new rifle. Haven't even mounted my scope yet and they want me to wait around at least another month while they fix a problem that never should have existed in the first place?!?

Unless you're going to replace the trigger as soon as you buy this rifle, I suggest you take a trigger scale to your gun dealer to test the trigger before sinking your hard earned cash into one of these rifles.

re: Remington 700 Long Range

Did you take it out of the stock and adjust trigger or just adjust the dumb little screw on the outside of trigger? The trigger is much better if you adjust it out of stock. I have owned piles of factory rem 700's and usually have to adjust trigger or they aren't very good. I would by no means send it to them.. If you don't feel comforatble adjusting it maybe you could have a friend who has experience or a gunsmith can adjust it better ,it's real simple

I took it out of the stock, just to allow access to the little screw that protrudes form the top of the trigger itself since the trigger guard made getting a tool in there difficult.

I was unaware that there were other adjustments on the trigger.

Can you tell me a little more about other adjustments?

Thanks!

I wouldn't "beware" of a 700lr any more than any other rem 700.... The factory triggers aren't great, but can usually be made to suffice. If it doesn't float your boat after tuning it, put an aftermarket trigger in it.... That's why there are so many of them out there...

Some of the factory triggers end up being excellent with some tuning. If they won't then time for a different trigger. google adjusting remington 700 x mark trigger and you will find lots of info on best way to adjust it. If not comfortable with it have a gunsmith do it. The liitle screw on outside of trigger means very little really

I get that a factory trigger might not be the best (perhaps I'm spoiled with the Tikka and Savage triggers I have... all pretty dang good triggers) but for a trigger not to come even close to the advertised pull is just unacceptable to me.

If the trigger were creepy, or had to much overtravel, but met the advertised pull weight, I'd have much less heartburn about it, since they don't advertise creep or overtravel.

And yes, I understand that a light but mushy trigger is worse than a crisp but heavier trigger, but that's beside the point of my post.

My main beef is that Remington advertises one thing, and supplied something far inferior, and then insists that I should lose the use of my brand new rifle for a month because of their mistake.

In a world where so many competitors provide such wonderful triggers and frankly more accurate out of the box rifles than Remington, its sad that Remington can't do better than this.

I've modified my expectations when buying new rifles. Remington is a great example of conscripting the Customer as an unpaid partner into it's Quality Control Program. Any more I expect to tack on about a month onto a new rifle purchase for sending it back to the factory (unless its European). If you can handle the wait, you'll probably get the rifle you expected. If you fix it yourself, you'll spend money and wait too. Although inconvenient, it makes sense to allow the manufacturer to attempt to make things right.

My main beef is that Remington advertises one thing, and supplied something far inferior, and then insists that I should lose the use of my brand new rifle for a month because of their mistake.

In a world where so many competitors provide such wonderful triggers and frankly more accurate out of the box rifles than Remington, its sad that Remington can't do better than this.

Yet we keep buying them. Could explain why so many people marry a spouse that treats them like dirt.

If you have it "fixed" by anyone not authorized by Remington, you'll void all warranties, too.

Honestly, I buy Remington's for custom or semi custom builds. There are certain things that we know suck on Remington's. With regards to this thread we know rem triggers are a hurting point with their recall. Also, there are several threads about rem customer service sucking as well. I think if you go into buying a Remington with knowing what youre getting you'll be ok. But I agree with the OP that if he wanted an out of the box ready to go Remington then yes Remington is sucking in their QA/QC and customer service department.

If you have it "fixed" by anyone not authorized by Remington, you'll void all warranties, too.

Also fixed by a quality smith is most likely way better than anything Remington would ever do. :D

If you really like the rifle, then i would just order a aftermarket trigger. It can be done yourself, if your mechanically minded.
If you send back to Remington, you have to wait and when you get it back, you still will have a factory spec'ed Remington trigger, and it will still suck....

Although, you can find info on the web that will tell how to tune your trigger. I was Googling Weatherby Vanguard trigger tune, and alot of info popped up about Rem. 700 trigger. I was able to tune my Vanguard trigger to 2lbs with a little patience....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.