Remington 700 SPS Long Range.

RanchhandTCR

Hello,

Well I read an article already about the Remington 700 SPS Long Range, that remington has come out with. It chambered in 25-06, .300 Win and 7mm Rem Mag and 300 RUM.

I am leaning torwards the 7mm Mag and .300 WIn mag due to price of reloading this two cartriges and have yet to really decide on one but I like the ballisitcs of the 7mm Mag better.

Also I know some of the members here proably despise the new SPS 700's because they dont seem to be up to par with the older 700's now I cannot agree or disagree. I dislike the SPS stocks on Remington, but I dont care; if I can just get the Action and barrel Id be happy. But Id like to hear from someone who already owns one or has shoot one to give me the Idea of the accuracy of the rifle. I already own one SPS Varmint in 22-250 and I realy like the gun with two discrepensies the new X-mark pro trigger and the flemsy stock. But I also dont know of any other rifle out there that is in the price range of the Remington Besides Savage, and If I was to get a .308 I would also list Howa 1500's as a possibility. But thats why Im hear I want to hear the wisdom and experinces from the shooters here on LongRangeHunting.

Thank you all in advance.

I should let you all know what my plans are for a LR Rifle.

Id like to participate in Tactical Markman, or Tactical Long Range Competions or Events on the off season for hunting, and since shooting clay is not nearly as fun as shooting 1500 yards. But I need to learn the skills to become a Prescion shooter too. Even though I plan on using this rifle on steel it doesnt mean I wont try to shoot at a coyote either. :D

Ive seen some up on GunBroker.com thats all I was gonna check with the local wal mart and see if they could order one in. But Id like t get some oppinions.

I have been interested in one myself and I contacted Remington about availability. I was told that production was held up to after the first of the year.

Hello,

Well I read an article already about the Remington 700 SPS Long Range, that remington has come out with. It chambered in 25-06, .300 Win and 7mm Rem Mag and 300 RUM.

I am leaning torwards the 7mm Mag and .300 WIn mag due to price of reloading this two cartriges and have yet to really decide on one but I like the ballisitcs of the 7mm Mag better.

Also I know some of the members here proably despise the new SPS 700's because they dont seem to be up to par with the older 700's now I cannot agree or disagree. I dislike the SPS stocks on Remington, but I dont care; if I can just get the Action and barrel Id be happy. But Id like to hear from someone who already owns one or has shoot one to give me the Idea of the accuracy of the rifle. I already own one SPS Varmint in 22-250 and I realy like the gun with two discrepensies the new X-mark pro trigger and the flemsy stock. But I also dont know of any other rifle out there that is in the price range of the Remington Besides Savage, and If I was to get a .308 I would also list Howa 1500's as a possibility. But thats why Im hear I want to hear the wisdom and experinces from the shooters here on LongRangeHunting.

Thank you all in advance.

I should let you all know what my plans are for a LR Rifle.

Id like to participate in Tactical Markman, or Tactical Long Range Competions or Events on the off season for hunting, and since shooting clay is not nearly as fun as shooting 1500 yards. But I need to learn the skills to become a Prescion shooter too. Even though I plan on using this rifle on steel it doesnt mean I wont try to shoot at a coyote either. :D

I've never shot the long range SPS model but I can speak for the recent standard SPS and the XCRII. The SPS I have is a .300 win mag, and with the factory setup I can consistently shoot 6" groups at 1000 yards. I just got the model 700 XCRII in 338 RUM and it is a shooter! I just got a 1/2" (2 shot) group at 200 yards with 225 grain bullets, and I shot a 1.5" group at 500 yards. I did change the trigger to a Timney though, I'm with you about the x pro triggers they suck!

I've never shot the long range SPS model but I can speak for the recent standard SPS and the XCRII. The SPS I have is a .300 win mag, and with the factory setup I can consistently shoot 6" groups at 1000 yards. I just got the model 700 XCRII in 338 RUM and it is a shooter! I just got a 1/2" (2 shot) group at 200 yards with 225 grain bullets, and I shot a 1.5" group at 500 yards. I did change the trigger to a Timney though, I'm with you about the x pro triggers they suck!

Thanks for your imput!! If I build this rifle it will either get a timney or an older style remmy trigger and just tune the trigger up. I have a SPS Varmint in 22-250 and it shoots well with the foreend tabs ground off and a hot gluebedding job LOL!!! I shot three shots the other day the second shot eneded up in the first hold and I jerked the trigger on the 3rd and was .25'' off at 100 yards, and its will smack prarie dogs consistantly out to 500 yards. Its got a new scope so hopefully next summer I can extend that range. But Id like to get a new rifle. I dont think remingtons quality in maching has gone down they have just found ways to make cheaper stocks and put on that cheap black flat finish... Which I will one day remove and duracoat it..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.