Tikka T3 vs. Remington 700 SPS Long Range

Heath74

So I have decided to buy a .300 WM for long range Elk and Mule Deer hunting in Idaho. I am trying to decide between the Tikka T3 or Remington 700 SPS Long Range. They both are close in price @ $649.00 and budget is a big factor. I have read quite a few good reviews on the Tikka but have yet to find one on the Remington Long Range model. The Tikka is 6.2 lbs vs. 8.75 on the Remington which will be nice to carry. However I think felt recoil of the Tikka may over shadow weight. If anyone has a Tikka in .300 WM please chime in on the recoil. Any input from you guys would be great. Or if you have another idea of a rifle around the price range I should look at let me know.

Thanks,
Heath

I have a friend with a tikka in a 30wsm and loves it. I however think tikka's have a funky recoil lug, which could be a factor (long term) with a heavier caliber. The heavier remington would also be much more pleasant to shoot and as such, may be easier to shoot well.
Just my thoughts, for what it's worth.

My wife shoots a Tikka T3 in 300WSM with muzzle brake installed, and my son has an identical rifle also but no muzzle brake, both have taken several nice bull moose with them, my wifes rifle shoots the Barnes 180 gr triple shock at 1/2" at 100 yards for 3 shots, but my sons prefers the discontinued Barnes 180 gr MRX at 1/2" 100 yards... both have said they dont notice the recoil on the bench or in the field... I could easily work up a load in 150 gr or 165 gr to reduce recoil but prefer the heavier bullets when calling moose in brown bear country... so far the Tikka's in 300 WSM have had awesome accuracy for outta the box rifles, load development started with the Barnes bullets and ended there due to great accuracy and performance on game ...
the wife is 5 ft 7" tall and maybe 120 lbs in her hunting boots,
the kid is skinny at 5 ft 8" and 145 lbs...

you should not have any recoil issues at all even for the lighter weight Tikka T3.... her previous rifle was my backup gun.. a Winchester M70 in 300 Win Mag, but was too long and heavy for her to lug around, and again recoil was not an issue !

Attachments

• Dory and her Tikka T3 300WSM.jpg
    Dory and her Tikka T3 300WSM.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Dory and her 2010 bull moose.jpg
    Dory and her 2010 bull moose.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Mihaels-2012-bull.jpg
    Mihaels-2012-bull.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 135
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.