Thoughts on the Remington 700 long range.

JohnnyReb

I'm thinking about getting one in 7 mm Rem Mag for use on deer/hogs at 600+. Is this a good option? would I be better off getting something else?

Here is a link to the rifle
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79957/Remington+700+M40+Long+Range+Bolt+7mm+Rem+Mag+26"+4+1+Syn+Stk+BlkGray+Blued

I can't seem to get the link to work. but you can copy and paste it into the search engine.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting one in 7 mm Rem Mag for use on deer/hogs at 600+. Is this a good option? would I be better off getting something else?

Here is a link to the rifle
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79957/Remington+700+M40+Long+Range+Bolt+7mm+Rem+Mag+26"+4+1+Syn+Stk+BlkGray+Blued

I have many 700's, but don't have a 700 LR. However, I have heard they are great rifles. And for the price, the features it has are virtually unprecedented (the 26" heavy barrel and the B&C Medalist stock). You definitely picked a great cartridge. The 7mmRM is one of my favorites. I've been hunting with one for going on 15 years now.

About the only thing that will be needed is a trigger swap, as the factory 700 XMP triggers suck. A Timney trigger can be had for less than $150.

See comments below from a reputable gunsmith and LRH member.

I've been rebarreling half the Rem 700 Long Ranges I see come in, also have to retime the handles because there is no primary extraction. A new Remington is a HUGE crap shoot!!!

What I have guys do with the 700 Long Range is shoot the rifle with what they have, once it's proven good then spend the rest of the budget on optics, that way you can afford to fix it if it does not shoot. I've seen better than a dozen 700 LR's this year so far and some have done well and some would not group under 2 inches. I personally like the LR over the Sendero because you can put a custom barrel on it for the same money as a Sendero.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you considered a Savage Model 11/111 FCNS?

+1! I have a Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM and it's 1st harvest last year was a MT muley buck at 525 yards with 215 Berger. It simply shoots.

BTW, welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
I have this rifle and it will get the job done.I switched to a HS Precision stock.The B.C. stock was nice but I prefer H.S Precision.I put a Timney trigger in it and set it for 1.75lbs.Topped it with a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 with the ballistic turret and sighted in with Hornady 162 grain ELD-X ammo.Shoots a ragged hole at 100 and 200.I also removed the hard rubber Remington recoil pad from the H.S stock,added lead shot,and installed a Pachmayr recoil pad.Kicks like a 243 now.Weighs 13lbs though.

I hadn't considered the savage 11/111 fcns. I did look at the long range hunter though.

I went to a local gun shop and handled a Remington 700 LR. I really like how it feels, and the b&c stock, and heavy barrel had me sold, until I heard about some of the quality issues. I read quite a few reviews on the gun I'm still on the fence over getting it, or something else.

I have this rifle and it will get the job done.I switched to a HS Precision stock.The B.C. stock was nice but I prefer H.S Precision.I put a Timney trigger in it and set it for 1.75lbs.Topped it with a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 with the ballistic turret and sighted in with Hornady 162 grain ELD-X ammo.Shoots a ragged hole at 100 and 200.I also removed the hard rubber Remington recoil pad from the H.S stock,added lead shot,and installed a Pachmayr recoil pad.Kicks like a 243 now.Weighs 13lbs though.

Hahahaha, Yep.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, I'll send it back to Remington.
I'll post an update after I get it broke in, and shoot some groups with it.

See comments below from a reputable gunsmith and LRH member.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1! I have a Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM and it's 1st harvest last year was a MT muley buck at 525 yards with 215 Berger. It simply shoots.

BTW, welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Cheers!

Ed
Yep.

Save yourself some hard work and heartache, get a Savage 110 or 111. Much better trigger and a very high chance it will be a shooter.

Put the money you saved sending the 700 back to the factory on optics for the Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.