Recoil

I would love to have a "muffler" on my firearms, but refuse to deal with the Government BS. šŸ¤¬ Plusā€¦ā€¦having a rifle long enough to double as a push-pole for a Jon Boat is, in my opinion an abomination for my hunting rifle! šŸ™€

I want/need/demand that my hunting rifle be practical for thick brush to open country! My 24" barrel is longer than I likeā€¦..but want the maximum performace that I can get from my rifle/cartridge/bullet, so I'll live with a barrel that's a little too long! šŸ˜‰

Obviously, this is my take on the topicā€¦ā€¦may everyone use whatever suits their purpose/desires! memtb

Last edited:
I would love to have a "muffler" on my firearms, but refuse to deal with the Government BS. šŸ¤¬ Plusā€¦ā€¦having a rifle long enough to double as a push-pole for a Jon Boat is, in my opinion an abomination for my hunting rifle! šŸ™€

I want/need/demand that my hunting rifle be practical for thick brush to open country! My 24" barrel is longer than I likeā€¦..but want the maximum performace that I can get from my rifle/cartridge/bullet, so I'll live with a barrel that's a little too long! šŸ˜‰

Obviously, this is my take on the topicā€¦ā€¦may everyone use whatever suits their purpose/desires! memtb
Remember Lexington & Concorde
Its definitely needed again

I sent my 7mm mag to Score High Gunsmithing in Albuquerque NM. They will thread the barrel and will put a timed break on it. When I sent mine a few years ago it was $180. I think it is $235 now. They matched the blueing on the barrel and break like it came from the factory.

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
Sounds to me like you need different rifles. Maybe you should look at the old 6.5x55 Swede. Even your wife could shoot it. The recoil on that caliber is less than a .223/556. Another good round would be the 308. The recoil on it is moderated but no where near the recoil of the calibers you are shooting. I dare say you don't need a rifle that kills on both ends.

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
Suggestions?
I have the same math problem at 76. Had pretty heavy shoulder surgery and was requested to stop shooting big long guns. Well that is not going to happen. My solution was to install Pachmeyer Decellerator pads and ti suppressors. I can shoot the big ones all day long if I want and no serious felt recoil. Not the least expensive way to go but it works for me and I personally don't like breaks because of the large increase in noise.

Sounds to me like you need different rifles. Maybe you should look at the old 6.5x55 Swede. Even your wife could shoot it. The recoil on that caliber is less than a .223/556. Another good round would be the 308. The recoil on it is moderated but no where near the recoil of the calibers you are shooting. I dare say you don't need a rifle that kills on both ends.
I used to own a 6.5x55 many years ago.The wife and I are from south Louisiana and moved up here in to Montana the early 90's.
Back when I was young I wanted bigger and faster and now I miss the older cartridges like the 6.5x55 and 300 Savage to name just a couple.

I have the same math problem at 76. Had pretty heavy shoulder surgery and was requested to stop shooting big long guns. Well that is not going to happen. My solution was to install Pachmeyer Decellerator pads and ti suppressors. I can shoot the big ones all day long if I want and no serious felt recoil. Not the least expensive way to go but it works for me and I personally don't like breaks because of the large increase in noise.
You are a tad older than me but same situation except my health problems is 8 back surgeries,shoulders ok for now.I know I need to get a can soon but hate the paper work thing.

Suggestions?
I used to take on anything I could pull the trigger on until my last TBI, ever since I have to reduce the recoil as much as I can.
Browning recoil hawg and EC tuner brake have both helped tremendously with my 7mag and 300 win mag. I am stepping up soon I hope with a 7STW and will will have a brake

I us APA Fat Bastard, Little Bastard, and PVA Jetblast brakes. I have seen a good bit of hunters use the JP break which is big and looks funny but apparently it works really well. If you go to a suppressor, the Silencerco harvester is a good one. Also try Retumbo in the WinMag. I have had good luck with it in many magnum cartridges.