Recoil

Old Rooster

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?

Get a Pachmeyer Decellerator pad for all of your rifles…then add a break if needed. My 505 Gibbs was 9lbs and had 180lbs/ft recoil. It had a Pachmeyer and a 1lb mercury recoil reducer…still had the most felt recoil I have ever had, even my 600 OKH double kicked less!

Cheers.

I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
Does it have a muzzle brake now? Muzzle brakes have been discussed extensively here. There are plenty of good ones out there; do a quick search for anything but radial (Vais, Gentry Quiet Brake, etc.). Do you have a budget in mind?

Is any of them threaded? Brake weight a concern or want it lite as possible? I bought a $49 brake (30cal rated), but use it on 338lm (I made sure there's clearance). Brake weighs 2# and very effective. Ultradyne is my go-to and Lantac.

Is any of them threaded? Brake weight a concern or want it lite as possible? I bought a $49 brake (30cal rated), but use it on 338lm (I made sure there's clearance). Brake weighs 2# and very effective. Ultradyne is my go-to and Lantac.
The only break I have ever had a gunsmith put it on in the late 1970's.All the noise came back in my direction and could not shoot it.

The only break I have ever had a gunsmith put it on in the late 1970's.All the noise came back in my direction and could not shoot it.
Radials are good as long as you are not shooting prone. Well, still good but kicks up debris. Linier might be the way to go as it directs noise forward, but doesn't tame as well. I'll take a pis of all the brakes I've bought over the years when I get back home. All serve their purpose. Some are crazy and bought as a gimmick. Few are used on BA's as most were bought for AR's. What I've found is the more effective they are the more noise they create.......well more noise east and west other than just north.

I have searched but no success yet,still looking.Awhile back Bamban had a video of a child shooting a 300 win mag with a brake and am still searching.No budget yet,looking at prices now.
While that was a girl and some just take it better than others. Probably been shooting a while. I was 9 or 10 when I st shot a 264wm (no brake, mod70 pre'64) and didn't know what to expect? It became my favorite gun since junior high ('76) and still have my dad's pre64. I like shooting it more that the 270win (kicked way more).

I have searched but no success yet,still looking.Awhile back Bamban had a video of a child shooting a 300 win mag with a brake and am still searching.No budget yet,looking at prices now.
I am not sure how you queried, but this has 10 pages.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/search/790951/?q=muzzle+brakes&o=relevance

I have shared this video here multiple times.

I have various muzzle brakes, but most are by Nathan's https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/. My latest acquisition is the EC tuner brake.

While that was a girl and some just take it better than others. Probably been shooting a while. I was 9 or 10 when I st shot a 264wm (no brake, mod70 pre'64) and didn't know what to expect? It became my favorite gun since junior high ('76) and still have my dad's pre64. I like shooting it more that the 270win (kicked way more).
When I was a teen ager I worked at Lion Country in West Palm Beach Florida during the summer and my uncles and cousins worked there also and owned many many rifles with recoil and I shot them all and never had a problem.458's,416 Rigby.416 Taylor 460 Weatherby Mag and some I can't recall and never had a flinched,except the 460 maybe.375 H&H were candy.I played football as a defensive end and set a record on bench press.I'm not tall but wide in shoulders,narrow in the hips.Florida State gave me a letter of intent to sign but I wanted a full ride,even Alabama would not give a full ride so I didn't go to college.
Point is I have taken some hard kickers and never developed a flinch!Losing weight must have put me in a whole new place,plus I got a little older,will hit 71 soon.

Recent Posts