Recoil

Nice post, well thought out and written with style.
I had never considered recoil as my dad taught me if you pull it in firmly you will never be hurt. Works great until you get tired.
My 338LM has a MB. I have learned to shoot with both eyes open and I can see the target with either eye so I can pin point where the POI is. It seems that when shooting with friends the concussion gives them pause so they close their eye, or loose track of being a spotter.
Shooting with both eyes open is something I want to work on,always have shot with left eye closed which I think causes me to miss the reaction of animal and sometimes not be able to tell which way even went. Do most shoot with both eyes open?

I agree. I have brakes on my 223 and 300blk.
You should see the look on the local smiths face when I first walked in and said I want a brake installed on a .223. He acted like I was dumb. Then I explained how I shoot a lot by myself and like to watch hits and because I always wear hearing protection why not eliminate as much recoil as possible and only have to work on fundamentals of shooting.

I think a rifle needs to be a whole package. Not just a brake or not. Brakes cant fix everything. There is not brake that will make a 7lb. 300 Norma Improved tame enough for my liking. The style of hunting, range of intended kill, game, caliber need, weight, and brake all need to be factored in. At point blank anything will kill an elk, as we go farther out we need the help from the ballistics of the larger magnums for wind calls. But as we go to larger magnums and farther distances, we often handicap them by going too lightweight. IMO.

Last edited:
Shooting with both eyes open is something I want to work on,always have shot with left eye closed which I think causes me to miss the reaction of animal and sometimes not be able to tell which way even went. Do most shoot with both eyes open?

I do, but when your target is a half mile away or even 600 yards away, I don't see much. I was taught to keep both eyes open in the military for situational awareness. I tend to stick to useful habits but it has never helped with seeing targets at particular ranges. For targets 10-300 yards away is not "long range shooting" but it's easy enough to get on target with low magnification with both eyes open. Point being, it can't hurt to learn.

I think for the average guy who's in good health with out any past or present medical ailments, a brake is not necessary for 6.5 caliber & under unless desired for spotting shots. I do happen to have a brake on one of my 6.5s and it's nice but as far as felt recoil it's not a lot of noticeable difference between it and my unbraked 6.5. Muzzle jump is less on the braked 6.5 but I can still not only hear but see if I hit my gong with the unbraked 6.5 @ 500 yds upon the shot thru the scope. So just for my personal preference, I won't put a brake on anymore of my future rifles in anything 6.5 or less.
That is what is nice about living in the good old USA, we can choose. This is a great thread, and I enjoy hearing different angles and opinions. I recently started using muzzle brakes, and love them on my larger calibers. I would not put one on my Browning BLR, just because it would ruin the looks of a lever action. Thank you Alex for starting this thread.

I think for the average guy who's in good health with out any past or present medical ailments, a brake is not necessary for 6.5 caliber & under unless desired for spotting shots. I do happen to have a brake on one of my 6.5s and it's nice but as far as felt recoil it's not a lot of noticeable difference between it and my unbraked 6.5. Muzzle jump is less on the braked 6.5 but I can still not only hear but see if I hit my gong with the unbraked 6.5 @ 500 yds upon the shot thru the scope. So just for my personal preference, I won't put a brake on anymore of my future rifles in anything 6.5 or less.

If you didn't notice a significant difference in recoil with a brake on a 6.5 rifle you have a very poor brake. During my testing I discovered a huge difference between a good brake and a near worthless brake on the same rifle.

If you didn't notice a significant difference in recoil with a brake on a 6.5 rifle you have a very poor brake. During my testing I discovered a huge difference between a good brake and a near worthless brake on the same rifle.
There was a difference but it wasn't huge for me. The rifle is 14lbs so it may very well be more of a difference in felt recoil on a lighter rifle. Im running a Mac's baffled break with ports not angled back. This brake is not as loud as my rear angled brakes but like so it probably doesn't take as much recoil off. I just now come in from shooting a 6.5 PRC I'm about finished up with. I didn't put a brake on it. I haven't weighed it but it's not a lighter weight. Was able to spot my hits fine. I don't blame anyone for running a brake but it just wasn't necessary for me on that rifle. I run some Mercury filled cylinders in the buttstock of those two rifles mentioned to balance them. I'm sure they take some recoil off also

Last edited:
The weights of your rifles reminds me I'm old. My carry rifle, which means I carry it in my hands not on my shoulder, used to be twelve pounds. Now seven and a quarter is max. I'm thinking of getting a lighter one. Of course it will have the best recoil reducing brake I can find.

I don't see anything about suppressors on that site, but, thanks, it is very informative otherwise.

You really need an emoji to show sarcasm! That sight is MBM's test video page. I have a 4 port. It seems to reduce recoil without excessive noise to the shooter. It is loud, but 300 WSM is loud. I can shoot 35 rounds no problem.

Last edited:
You really need an emoji to show sarcasm! That sight is MBM's test video page. I have a 4 port. It seems to reduce recoil without excessive noise to the shooter. It is loud, but 300 WSM is loud. I can shoot 35 rounds no problem.
Oh, no. I thought the site was very helpful. I wasn't being sarcastic and apologize if it seemed to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.