Recoil?

95huskers

Hi guys I just had a surgery on my jaw and will not be able to withstand the recoil of my 6.5-284 due to the shock to my jaw And risk of breaking it for 8 weeks which takes me through our rifle whitetail season. I guess I was wondering how much a muzzle break would help on this caliber? What would the recoil be similar to? Other options would be my 22-250 or a .243

Last edited:
A good muzzle brake will reduce the recoil to about that of your .243 or less.

Probably ought to stick with the 22-250 for the next two or three weeks, and by then you s hould have a nice brake for your other gun installed.

There are lots of good brakes out there, the VIAS might be the best combination of recoil reduction and price, but the PRI is right up there with it as well.

This is a very good one too.

VARMINT BRAKE - Brownells

For maximum recoil reduction this is a very good design as well but I woldn't recommend it for prone shooting unless you are on hard/dry or using a mat that extends beyond the muzzle.

RIFLE MUZZLE BRAKES - Brownells

I put one of Kirby Allens painkillers on my 358 Norma Mag. and it tamed it down to less recoil than that of my .270 I am able to spot my own impacts at 200 yards with it now. Whatever brake you decide on make sure to look into using hearing protection in the field with it if you don't already. Let loose without it at a whitetail doe last week and my left ear is still ringing. They do make it louder so you need to plan for it.

P.S. I did make the shot but am still paying for it

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.