Recoil, what recoil?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Muddy, You may want to reconsider using a "lead sled" with the heavy kickers.....reportedly very hard on scopes. I can't verify, as we don't have any heavy kickers or a "lead sled"! ;) memtb

memtb, you are 100% correct about lead sleds. I guess I would hope the boomer rifle has high quality rings and bases but the recoil can be transferred to the scope attachment setup and it really has to be stout to survive in a lead sled. The larger scopes on these rifles add to the problem with their weight as well. I actually used a lead sled for this first time couple weeks ago. I am now into 3+ months post right shoulder complete rebuild surgery where my rotator 4 tendons were completely detached by a bone cyst and throw in the bicep tendon getting taken out plus bone spurs and labrum cleanup. Other than that it was in fine shape. So just to get some load work in on a short mag with a new Magpul stock. I happened to find a used lead sled at a swap meet for $35 which I couldn't pass up! I have to say I don't like how I have to sit behind it to shoot. Just don't like the setup but it certainly has saved my shoulder! I am in PT so I am very protective of the shoulder until I get past the 6-7 month timeline. By then the tendons should be fully healed and attached to the bone. The one thought I still believe is a lot of folks really need to review bench technique which can be huge improvement in felt recoil.
Muddy

Last edited:
Having done extensive testing different recoil devices using a recoil device that actually measures recoil in ft/lbs hear are the actual recoil numbers in their order of effectiveness.

As explained earlier there are several different types of recoil and also recoil velocity and felt recoil . As the test will show a recoil pad does not realy reduce recoil, it allows the recoil to be distributed over a larger area of your shoulder or hand increasing the effective foot print (Square inches in contact with your hand or shoulder reducing the "Felt recoil". It has little or no bearing on recoil.

Recoil velocity is in directly effected by the weight of the firearm and allows the weapon to recoil faster or slower, again effecting the "Felt recoil" not the actual recoil.

Here is the results of these test . They can be found in the FAQs section.
http://www.jecustom.com/index.php?pg=Home&cmd=Cell&cell=FAQ

I hope this helps others to understand recoil better and the effectiveness of different devices.

J E CUSTOM

Different style stocks, cartridges recoil differently. Shot 30-06s that kicked pretty hard. My 7mm mag is sharp recoil, 338rum with 270s is big push I prefer it unless prone or back is against a tree etc, not recoil shy just sayin

JE, excellent article. I have also seen graphs of recoil forces in real time and they show a difference in characteristics between type of recoil mitigation, which also plays into the distinction between felt and gross recoil. I've heard and agree with those that say the new pads using newer urethanes, change the recoil from a "punch to a push."

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.