Recoil

That's my fears too Crockett12!Almost completely deaf in my left ear from work related noises.I can't afford anymore hearing loss.
Thanks a bunch.
Same here. I'm around guns and shooting every day. Even in sporting clays more ported guns are showing up all the time. They are very tough on trappers that must sit to the side. I trapped Super Sporting in the US Open and pulled almost 9000 targets in 5 days. Brutal, even with plugs and muffs. I just don't care for brakes, ports, or short barrels. They will all deafen you. I'm deaf in my left ear now and use closed captioning on the TV. Then again I don't care for suppressors either. Not just the extra length but also the fact you have to fill out a mother may I form and pay the government money for it.

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
My favorite brake is the MBM that Nathan makes and is a member here on this forum. Tried others but his reduces the most recoil on my rifles. Try a Simms vibration labs slip on pad.

I've tested different pads on sporting clays guns for young women and the Limbsavers are the best at mitigating recoil. They are also one of the harder pads to grind and have it turn out pretty. I usually freeze mine first. Pachmayr s are good and they are easy to grind. Kickeez is also very good and grinds nicely. Limbsaver does make quite a few prefit pads as well and they work nicely without having to grind. The Limbsavers are pitched slightly so they help with muzzle rise also.

Last edited:
Lol omg Folks on here stating about hearing Loss!! And Brakes Too Loud.
You know there are devices called Hearing Protection ‼️ Used For all Sorts of Noises! Rifles, Small Engines, string trimmers, Grinders, Hammers Ect

You know there are devices called Hearing Protection ‼️ Used For all Sorts of Noises! Rifles, Small Engines, string trimmers, Grinders, Hammers Ect

A very good point…….however! I suspect that a high percentage of us are beyond 6 decades old….. born long before the use of hearing protection was broadly used!

Many of us started out in high noise industry where hearing protection was virtually unheard of and not offered by the companies we worked for! Couple this with our own nonchalant attitude and ignorance regarding ear protection when working at home or pursuing our hobbies…...many of us have hearing issues!

This is but one of many things that the younger generations are blessed with……provided by the sacrifices of the older generations! memtb

A very good point…….however! I suspect that a high percentage of us are beyond 6 decades old….. born long before the use of hearing protection was broadly used!

Many of us started out in high noise industry where hearing protection was virtually unheard of and not offered by the companies we worked for! Couple this with our own nonchalant attitude and ignorance regarding ear protection when working at home or pursuing our hobbies…...many of us have hearing issues!

This is but one of many things that the younger generations are blessed with……provided by the sacrifices of the older generations! memtb
As you well know my age, hearing protection products/ devices were widely available in the 80's, 40 years ago. I didn't always use them either ( Dumb) or too Lazy to climb out from under belly dumps while grind/hammering
I ONCE shot my Factory Braked Boss Abolt without hearing 👂 protection about 10 ft from the Side of the Garage (Tin)
Again, Dumb‼️
Heading outside to shoot 06' , 168gr Hpbt @ 2900😃😊 its 25° Now, was only 8°

As you well know my age, hearing protection products/ devices were widely available in the 80's, 40 years ago. I didn't always use them either ( Dumb) or too Lazy to climb out from under belly dumps while grind/hammering
I ONCE shot my Factory Braked Boss Abolt without hearing 👂 protection about 10 ft from the Side of the Garage (Tin)
Again, Dumb‼️
It's been pretty warm here also, the last two mornings have been above 10 F.

I dare say that the vast majority of us employ hearing protection when shooting, but a much smaller number when hunting.

Speaking only for myself, I don't use hearing protection when hunting as only a fe, lately very few 🤬, shots are fired from my (non-braked) rifle for the season when hunting.

The exception to the above is when attempting to hunt with my 460 S&W handgun …..braked! When hunting with it, fairly rare, I wear electronic (https://goaxil.com/products/gx-extreme) ear protection!

With the wires hanging on you, they're kind-of a PIA, but I need/want the hearing enhancement as much of my handgun hunting is done in heavy cover in bear habitat. It the very unlikely event of a bad encounter……I'd like to possibly have a bit of a "heads-up" before I become a statistic! 😉 memtb

Brakes are too loud for me even with plugs in. I have to plug and muff to get adequate protection and that helps but I still get other issues with those on. I ran equipment every day growing up on the farm from the time I was 6. Daddy was tough on us and work had to get done. Nobody discussed hearing loss back then. The closest thing to hearing protection we ever had was cotton or cigarette butts. I finally started being issued ear plugs when I was a saw man and bulldozer operator with a company I worked for at 19. My son has never fired a shot without NRR 33 plugs in and already has hearing loss in his left ear at 21. He's been shooting since he was 3. Brakes and ports cause one more problem for me which is even more worrisome. I have had 6 documented concussions and quite a few more on the football field that I ignored and kept on playing because that's what you had to do. I now get concussion symptoms, blurred vision, nausea, and headaches from muzzle blast and recoil. Brakes or porting increase muzzle blast so I avoid them.

Again, Dumb‼️

I should've also mentioned, and I know that even a few shots, even spread out over a lengthy per of time are not good….. but I will continue refuse to use ear protection when hunting with my rifle. Hence, the reason I do not brake!

Also, as I virtually never shoot around other people, "I don't brake for others….even children"! 😂 But, all are required to use protection anytime we're shooting. memtb

Last edited:
Been using hearing protection since 1977.The brake I had that was sooooo loud over came the hearing protection so bad the doctor said I had lost 50 percent in my left ear by then.Only shot it a few dozen times WITH HEARING PROTECTION!Back then hearing protection was not as good as it it is now.
Being around high horsepower engines and turbines got me to where I am now.
Edit to add:I have to wear hearing aids/noise suppression as 10-12 years ago a game warden walked up on me and had a long conversation with me all by his self.I never heard a word but was shocked when he touched my shoulder.I got the Walkers in the ear devices and still use them but they don't take all the noise of a 300 win mag out of my ears.

Last edited:
I should've also mentioned, and I know that even a few shots, even spread out over a lengthy per of time are not good….. but I will continue refuse to use ear protection when hunting with my rifle. Hence, the reason I do not brake!

Also, as I virtually never shoot around other people, "I don't brake for others….even children"! 😂 But, all are required to use protection anytime we're shooting. memtb
Same here. I do not like to use plugs while hunting. Particularly ducks because I do most of the calling. I will keep a pair of plugs with me when deer hunting and will put them in if I get time. Or wear a pair of electronic muffs.

This thread is a month old but I will post anyway.
Turpentine21 I too love 44 mags and had a redhawk as well,very accurate gun but had it stolen at a gun range.I didn't lock the doors on my truck and while shooting a rifle I loaded up and noticed the redhawk missing.No one saw a thing!
Expensive lesson and would love to get another as accurate as the one that got stolen.Not sure they even still make them.
Got hearing aids last year and the Miracle Ear doc says to try shooting with hearing aids in your ear as they will compress the sound.I asked if compress means it will reduce the noise and he said yes.So I have that to do as soon as the weather gets a bit better.