Recoil

If you decide to go the Brake route next my friend.... please give me a call. I'll set you up!
If I go with a brake you will get a call!
But really the Limbsaver recoil pad made a huge difference in felt recoil.I only shot 3 rounds but no discomfort at all.
If I ever fully recover from that last surgery I will get out and shoot 20 rounds and report but feel that recoil pad fixed my recoil discomfort.

If I go with a brake you will get a call!
But really the Limbsaver recoil pad made a huge difference in felt recoil.I only shot 3 rounds but no discomfort at all.
If I ever fully recover from that last surgery I will get out and shoot 20 rounds and report but feel that recoil pad fixed my recoil discomfort.

I'm very glad that worked for ya…..hope that you do not feel the need for a "weed-burner"! 😉

Oh, I failed to wish you good luck with the shoulder recovery……I apologize for my egregious error! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
memtb I have only had 1 brake but felt it could have started a fire!I'm serious!I know brakes have come a long way since the 70's and I bet they are heads and tails above what I had but if my rifle shoots the same as it did when I shot the full house loads I shot recently I am ok now as the Limbsaver made a HUGE difference.
I still may have the 300 weatherby mag re-barreled to something else as it won't hold a decent group anymore and may have a brake from my buddy from the north (skipglo) set me up with a brake for that.That rascal kicks!

memtb I have only had 1 brake but felt it could have started a fire!I'm serious!I know brakes have come a long way since the 70's and I bet they are heads and tails above what I had but if my rifle shoots the same as it did when I shot the full house loads I shot recently I am ok now as the Limbsaver made a HUGE difference.
I still may have the 300 weatherby mag re-barreled to something else as it won't hold a decent group anymore and may have a brake from my buddy from the north (skipglo) set me up with a brake for that.That rascal kicks!

I've only fired one round through a .300 Bee. It was my barrel and stock from my .375 AI build, put on a friend's old Model 70 action. After my 'smith put it together, he handed it to me to fire the first round after the work…..not certain if it was meant as a gift or whether he didn't trust his work! 😂

Anyway, I was much younger then…..but was a bit apprehensive as to the reputation of the "Bee"! The rifle was "bare-bones" ( no scope, sling or nice recoil pad) and when handed to me, I picked out a large rock (a bit bigger than a basketball) about 75/80 yards away, and touched one off! I was a bit surprised to see a solid impact on the rock!

And, the recoil wasn't bad at all! Though there are a few qualifiers…..I was young, in good shape, and shot standing offhand. Those things combined made for minimal felt recoil! Today…..I may have a different opinion! 😉😁 memtb

I agree, the only one I ever shot was like getting mule kicked and it didn't have a brake

I agree, the only one I ever shot was like getting mule kicked and it didn't have a brake

Not trying to minimize the recoil from a 300 Bee, it is real, but next time you're in these parts I'll let you "snuggle up" with my sub 9 pound (as shot from the bench) .375 AI , and run a couple of 270 grainers downrange @ 3100 mv. And no……it doesn't wear a brake! 😉

I've yet to get my wife to shoot it from the bench…..I've given up offering! 😁 memtb

Not trying to minimize the recoil from a 300 Bee, it is real, but next time you're in these parts I'll let you "snuggle up" with my sub 9 pound (as shot from the bench) .375 AI , and run a couple of 270 grainers downrange @ 3100 mv. And no……it doesn't wear a brake! 😉

I've yet to get my wife to shoot it from the bench…..I've given up offering! 😁 memtb
Holy smokes I might just watch you shoot 😂

I shot a Fat Bastard brake not long ago on a guys rifle I was zeroing and holy crap Batman. the back pressure and blast was just too much. I don't want to shoot that bad. I later shot a 300 Win. mag with a Gentry brake and it was much quieter and nicer than I expected. I just don't like brakes but if I had to use one it would be a Gentry.

I shot a Fat Bastard brake not long ago on a guys rifle I was zeroing and holy crap Batman. the back pressure and blast was just too much. I don't want to shoot that bad. I later shot a 300 Win. mag with a Gentry brake and it was much quieter and nicer than I expected. I just don't like brakes but if I had to use one it would be a Gentry.
The ones on the Browning with the Boss are quite pleasant brakes, & A sleeve the same length as the boss was included when bought new.
Vais make a darn good break also. 458 Lott
I've got a brake on a 223 that make recoil like a 22 mag 😀
Another on an 06' that makes it like a 243😀

I had a brake put on a Ruger Boat Paddle (stock) in .338 Win Mag once and it did help with recoil but the muzzle blast was so loud, I was afraid to hunt with it. I took the rifle to a different gunsmith and he told me a different stock could reduce the felt recoil more than that brake would. He took the brake off and I bought the stock he recommended and he was right! The newly stocked rifle had less felt recoil than when it had the muzzle brake on. That stock isn't made any more (Pacific Research) but I bet any older gunsmith will know about that stock and be able to recommend a replacement that would reduce your felt recoil! It was a very good looking stock too and I'm sorry I eventually sold the rifle and stock! As a side note, I'll never again shoot with a muzzle brake or even recommend one because I've lost enough hearing over the years and don't need to go deaf!

I have many firearms and had never been "scoped" until I shot my 300 RUM mountain rifle. Oh, I know you will say faulty hold. Not so! I went down the recoil pad switch path and didn't make that much difference.
Save yourself the headache and contact Nathan Smith at Muzzle brakes and more.
You can thank me later.
The one and only time I ever got scoped it broke my nose. The rifle belonged to friend that said he couldn't get it zeroed it was mostly my fault but the gun kicked really hard.