Recoil

Cojaq

I'm recoil sensitive due to a shoulder injury and am looking for a long range hunting rifle that can cleanly take an elk out to 1000 yds with minimal recoil. Whats acceptable and whats not? I used to shoot a 7 mag, but have gotten tired of the beating at the range. I shoot in real world conditions to practice so no lead sled here! I like the ability to use quality factory ammo so no wildcats if I can help it. I don't mind a heavy rifle. Any thoughts from the recoil sensitive shooters?

I would stick with the 7mm mag, if you like it. I would just try to make it as heavy a reasonably possible by using a bull barrel and a heavy stock. I would put a muzzle break in it, and a Limbsaver recoil pad.

Factory ammo, elk, and 1000 yards is not a combination I would recommend for a 7 Rem mag. Perhaps 700 - 800 yards or else move up to a larger case.

What you're asking is a real challenge. I shoot a 300WM and I don't even carry 1000 yd drops on my field chart, it's too far for elk with even that (larger) cartridge. Maybe I'm overkill but the smallest thing I would really trust on elk at 1000 yds is a 300RUM. Build it heavy and put a nice efficient brake on it...perhaps someone who uses brakes could comment on the nature of the recoil that such a setup would produce.

However, I can't imagine shooting at game at 1000 yds, with any cartridge, with factory ammo. But maybe you have had better luck with factory ammo than me or plan to handload for hunting.

I would stick with the 7mm mag, if you like it. I would just try to make it as heavy a reasonably possible by using a bull barrel and a heavy stock. I would put a muzzle break in it, and a Limbsaver recoil pad.

+1 on this also you can add a mercury recoil reducer to the stock.

7mag simply doesnt' have enough energy at 1000yds.

For your situation I'd say the smallest you can get away with would be 300wm, and 1000yds on elk even with that is a real stretch.

The safer, and more reliable bet would be 7mm STW, 7mm RUM, or 300 Rum, in a bolt gun.

You should also consider an AR in .325wsm. The AR operating system alone reduces felt recoil considerably, so will the "tube gun" design as it brings the recoil more straight back without the tendency of muzzle flip being as pronounced.

A long 26-28" bull barrel in an AR platform would probably give you the best combination of tolerable recoil and long range power.

If you go with a bolt gun here's two things. Get a heavier Varmint/Tactical/Sniper type stock. In the rear place a 16oz mercury recoil dampener, and just forward of the lug you can place one under the barrel in the foregrip of the stock as well; though you may need a slightly smaller one.

When you have the front one set properly with full free float etc, you can fill the rest of the void with a mix of epoxy and lead shot.

Then of course get a first rate muzzle brake, and good magnum recoil pad such as the limbsavers to round out the package.

You could easily end up with a 14-18lbs rig in the end but if you dont' mind a heavy rig this would be the best way to achieve your ends with a bolt gun.

Heavy is a PITA on long hikes, but heavier is steadier and helps greatly to reduce felt recoil.

my 7 stw has a 30 in bbl with a muzzle break. I am pushing 162 gr at 3290 fps and the total weight of the gun is right at 10 lbs. I am suprised at how little recoil this rifle has. It Actually feels like less than my .25-06 ackley out of a sendero.

I'll just throw this out there because no one else has yet.

The big 338's with a modern designed quality muzzle break. They have the power to take elk at 1000 IMO. According to the ballistic program, my 338 AX shooting the 300 grn Berger still has about 2700 ft.lbs energy and is traveling about 2000'/sec at 1000 yds.

I've shot the 338 Edge and more recently my 338 AX quite a few shots in one sitting. Neither rifle is extremely heavy, I'd guess they are around 13 lbs with heavy scopes installed (note to self, need to weigh it). The Edge wore one of Shawn Carlocks breaks, the AX wears one of Kirby Allens breaks. I am quite certain and would almost gaurantee that they both recoil less than a bone stock 7mm Magnum.

Sorry, I brought up cartridges that need to be handloaded, but I doubt there's much 338 factory ammo that is up to the challenge of 1000 yd accuracy/performance that we can get from the Edge and AX with handloads............338 RUM is a factory round and 338 Lapua can be bought pre-loaded too, but IMO the 338 RUM doesn't come with the best bullets for 1000 yd game shots............The Lapua ammo perhaps does, but the BC of the 338 RUM stuff I've seen is only around .5

I agree with others that 1000yds is no "walk in the park". A one shot kill at 1000 is beyond my ability at this point, even with the ballistics and accuracy of these high dollar custom rifles and top notch match grade ammo. Lots and Lots of practice is needed IMO.

Last edited:
I just posted this over on another thread.

"My 6.5-284 shooting 140 vlds has had no problem taking down the biggest of elk at extended ranges. IMO the 6.5-284 has the best long range capabilities with the least amount of recoil of any caliber on the market. If you are like me, and are not a big fan of recoil, but still want a riflle that is good out to 1000 yds on elk size game, this is your rifle. I've had a hard time understanding the ultra mag craze with the big loud muzzle breaks. Seems like overkill on elk size and smaller game."

I have done a lot of research and spent a small fortune trying to answer this very question. I'd have a 6.5-284 built to finsh out with scope right at 10-11 pounds and throated to shoot 140 berger vlds. You will never look back. It's no longer a wildcat and according to a certain survey on this web site it is currently one of the most sought after cartridges for new custom builds.

I agree with SBruce. I'd look hard at a 338 caliber variant if you really, really want to shoot at 1000 yards. Don't forget that 600+ is a whole different ballgame than under 600, so you'll need weather meter, ballistic calculator, etc.

If you have to use factory loads, and you have to hit an elk at 1000, I'd think about a Weatherby in 30-378 or better yet 338-378. Factory ammo (though quite expensive) is available, and they come with an Accubrake. However, for the price of a few boxes of 338-378 factory ammo you could be reloading yourself.

Else you'd have to find a well built 300 Win Mag with a brake, as the ammo is cheaper. 300 Wby would be there too, though ammo is more expensive - just not as expensive as the 30-378 or 338-378.

As stated in earlier posts, look at the 338 for elk at 1k. The 7 mag does not carry enough to take an elk at a 1000 yards. You would be setting yourself up for a very bad day.

I just posted this over on another thread.

"My 6.5-284 shooting 140 vlds has had no problem taking down the biggest of elk at extended ranges. IMO the 6.5-284 has the best long range capabilities with the least amount of recoil of any caliber on the market. If you are like me, and are not a big fan of recoil, but still want a riflle that is good out to 1000 yds on elk size game, this is your rifle. I've had a hard time understanding the ultra mag craze with the big loud muzzle breaks. Seems like overkill on elk size and smaller game."

I have done a lot of research and spent a small fortune trying to answer this very question. I'd have a 6.5-284 built to finsh out with scope right at 10-11 pounds and throated to shoot 140 berger vlds. You will never look back. It's no longer a wildcat and according to a certain survey on this web site it is currently one of the most sought after cartridges for new custom builds.

YMMV, but I would not consider this a 1000 yd elk cartridge. Off the top of my head I'd guess under 1000 ft-lbs, maybe 1500-1700 fps? What's the minimum expansion velocity on that bullet? My 300WM will carry roughly that velocity with similar or higher energy, greater frontal area, and I wouldn't do it. Deer, maybe.

Elk are tough. Trying to locate the spot you hit one and track it when you don't hit it hard enough to anchor it is even tougher from 1000yds away.

a 300 rum with a sendero contour and a good brake!!! you should be ok with that.

Or maybe even a 338 with a good brake.

Regardless, if you dont want the recoil, like me, get a heavier barrel and put a 100 dollars muzzle brake one it. Its fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.