Recoil

I am not sure how you queried, but this has 10 pages.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/search/790951/?q=muzzle+brakes&o=relevance

I have shared this video here multiple times.

I have various muzzle brakes, but most are by Nathan's https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/. My latest acquisition is the EC tuner brake.

Not a fan of things on my muzzle that are larger than the barrel but I have to do something as I won't give up hunting/shooting.
Did the EC tuner/brake work well in recoil?

Get a Pachmeyer Decellerator pad for all of your rifles…then add a break if needed. My 505 Gibbs was 9lbs and had 180lbs/ft recoil. It had a Pachmeyer and a 1lb mercury recoil reducer…still had the most felt recoil I have ever had, even my 600 OKH double kicked less!

Cheers.
Thanks.I will look at the Pachmeyer Decellerator pad also.

I will try that buddy,thanks.May be my cheapest option.
Getting old stinks!
The alternative is even less attractive.

I have seen recoil pads get hard with age. Even if the rifles have a pad on them I'd suggest replacing them as the first step. I recall one Pachmyr pad that was so soft that it came with a metal stud that went in the screw access hole to support the firearm when stored standing upright because if stored sitting on the pad it would compress and take a set compressed.

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
Terminator brakes

Not a fan of things on my muzzle that are larger than the barrel but I have to do something as I won't give up hunting/shooting.
Some muzzle brakes can be machined to match your barrel, radial and non-radial (easiest), depending on your muzzle diameter.
Yes! Mine is on my.338 Thor.

.338 Thor scoped 2 of 4.jpg

When shooting off a bench, do you use a shoulder pad? A Caldwell recoil shield might help
I have the magnum version, and I did not care for it because it changed my LOP.

This boils down to personal choice/preference. An effective muzzle brake has two purposes: reduced felt recoil and reduced muzzle rise/jump. The latter is often not realized, and the non-muzzle options only do one of the two. Good luck!

I understand your concern and I wanted something that looked symmetrical with my gun so I went with a Ross. I think it was about 40 bucks.
It's on a 300 rum and I can shoot all day without my shoulder getting sore.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 73
Terminator T3, made in NZ…..amazing reduction in recoil but hearing protection is a must.
I agree 100% with this recommendation.
I had my gunsmith time a Terminator 4+ .
On my newly rebarreled 30-378.
Shooting 230 Hybrid at 3050fps with 101.7 gr. of Retumbo.
I would be exaggerating if the recoil felt more than a 308 with 150gr bullet.
The next best IMO is Area 419.
Yes they look like Beer Cans on the end of the barrel, weight is not noticeable.
But a suppressor is much bigger.
Hope this helps. 🤔

Attachments

• 20230925_094741.jpg
    20230925_094741.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20230925_095321.jpg
    20230925_095321.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 112
Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
Well I can relate to your situation, there have been several times where I have stopped shooting for a while, the 2nd time when I started shooting again I became recoil sensitive. I have some 9-11 blown disc in my neck and back now, I am now more recoil sensitive. At any rate, the radial brakes are not as bad on your ears, have several rifles that came with that style. I have a Brockman brake on my BAR 300 wm now, I can turn it off and on, got this from E Author Brown when I bought a barrel from them.. This is similar to a radial style to me it is not as bad on your ears, but I always wear muffs now anyway. For my heavier calibers I have a concussion device over my brake, the one I have is made by Indian creek I believe, and when I have it over my brake it resembles a suppressor, it effectively diverts sound away from the shooter and those on either side of the shooter. Refer to www.indiancreekdesigninc.com the device will make the recoil a push directly into your shoulder with a good brake. As far as a muzzle brake I will have to find the vendor but have a big 5 port brake on two of my rifles swap the concussion device back and forth.

I sure hope I just found the problem.The rifle is 12 years old and I can bottom out the recoil pad with my thumb!
3 years ago I shot my best group with this rifle ,2 of the 3 shots hit the same hole,slightly elongated the first hole and the 3rd hit the same hole just slightly elongated the first shot ever so slightly.One guy had a tape to measure with him (didn't have calipers with me) and it was a bit over 5/16 of an inch at 100 yards.So I know something had to happen.
My manhood may be intact!

Time for a new pad! Super soft recoil pad is not what you need. Firm enough to slow the rifle down, but enough give to actually yield and absorb the movement. Pachmayr decelerator is a great way to go.

I have many muzzle brakes, and they're not all equal. On my big rifles I have an MBM 4 port which is similar to the Terminator brakes. Extremely effective, but the concussion that comes back at you is severe enough I didn't want to shoot the gun anymore.

I have a seekins ATC brake on an ar15. Loud but minimal concussion (even compared to other ars with different brakes) and keeps the rifle level and flat while shooting.

I have several silencerco ASR brakes that work fine solo but are rarely used without an attached suppressor.

My favorite is my browning .300 with radial brake. Machined to the diameter of the barrel (thin) and about 2" long, it doesn't send concussion back at me at all but it reduces recoil enough that 20 shots off a bench isn't bothersome. It'll dust you a bit if you shoot it prone, but even that's not too bad compared to a side port brake like the Terminators.

The caveat for a hunting rifle is that you need ear plugs with a brake, whereas without you can get away with a shot or two if you need to. I hate wearing ear plugs while hunting although I have some in my pocket if I have time to set up for a shot. If I have my .300, those plugs become non optional before the shot.