Recoil

Another easy solution is the P.A.S.T. Super Mag Plus recoil pads you wear. Around $37 on Midway.
Really tames my Tikka T3 in .338 Win Mag which is much too light (great for hunting! Bad for sighting in and practice.)
699899.jpg

Lion Country Supply makes a leather recoil pad for $49 bucks and it's called the Kick Killer Slip-on Butt pad. Used em for years,they're unreal!! They consist of thick AKTON shock absorbing pad, which reduces recoil by more than 60%, just slip over butt stock and is held in place with an overlapping hook and loop velcro fastener These are made of leather and sold in sm, med, large.These Boys are in PA ph is 800-662-5202. Like e'm a lot better than the extra noise of the barrel brake. These are easy enuff to move from one rig to another in just a few seconds. Can put it on ur 3" Model-12 for that lone Goose headN South and hit e'm with 1-3/8 oz of Bismuth, does double duty.

Last edited:
Come on all you have to do is go to the all mighty 6.5 creedmoor 😂. Low recoil. Now that being said as we get older plus loosing all that meat there is less padding to soak up the recoil. Going with a gun and caliber that is more enjoyable To shoot is a good one You can have the mercury tubes put in the stocks that helps a bunch . The shoulder pads help a lot also. Brakes are good but loud as hell not very enjoyable for a bunch of range work. Good luck on the weight loss

I sure hope I just found the problem.The rifle is 12 years old and I can bottom out the recoil pad with my thumb!
3 years ago I shot my best group with this rifle ,2 of the 3 shots hit the same hole,slightly elongated the first hole and the 3rd hit the same hole just slightly elongated the first shot ever so slightly.One guy had a tape to measure with him (didn't have calipers with me) and it was a bit over 5/16 of an inch at 100 yards.So I know something had to happen.
My manhood may be intact!
As others have mentioned pachmayr are excellent recoil pads. I put a limb saver recoil pad on my savage 220 slug gun and it cut the recoil down. Yea I'm a sissy but those 3" slugs have a very sharp recoil in the 20 gauge.

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
Now you know why the "Michelin Man" never got a flat! Insulation Brother!

When I was a teen ager I worked at Lion Country in West Palm Beach Florida during the summer and my uncles and cousins worked there also and owned many many rifles with recoil and I shot them all and never had a problem.458's,416 Rigby.416 Taylor 460 Weatherby Mag and some I can't recall and never had a flinched,except the 460 maybe.375 H&H were candy.I played football as a defensive end and set a record on bench press.I'm not tall but wide in shoulders,narrow in the hips.Florida State gave me a letter of intent to sign but I wanted a full ride,even Alabama would not give a full ride so I didn't go to college.
Point is I have taken some hard kickers and never developed a flinch!Losing weight must have put me in a whole new place,plus I got a little older,will hit 71 soon.
Just think of that 71...in M.P.H.! Going stronger and faster than ever...and take @Muddyboots for the ride...you too Old farts could identify with one another!🤣

I have many firearms and had never been "scoped" until I shot my 300 RUM mountain rifle. Oh, I know you will say faulty hold. Not so! I went down the recoil pad switch path and didn't make that much difference.
Save yourself the headache and contact Nathan Smith at Muzzle brakes and more.
You can thank me later.

It was the first time in over 65 years of shooting I had ever been "scoped". Something about the weight and the recoil impulse I guess. I put a MBM brake on it and now love this thing. Always heard stories of people getting scoped but never thought it would happen to me having shot .375s and .416s without issue. The
Most interesting part to me was this occurred without shooting heavies in the RUM.
Due to the barrel contour is this lightweight rifle I ended up with the MicroBastard but it still is very effective.

A dear friend that is no longer alive thanks to cancer was with me when we spotted elk up a steep grade at about 230 to 350 yards.I lay as low to the ground as I could and aimed uphill.That position put the scope too close to my eye.My eyebrow hides the 6 stiches it took to close it.
With less recoil the problem would be less rearward scope movement.
I am drawn to the clamp on as there are places I have been that won't let you have anything screwed on the barrel.If I get to go and get drawn I could just take the brake off