Recoil

This is just my opinionā€¦ā€¦and should be understood as such: I believe that good muscle tone helps mitigate felt recoil!

If daily physical labor/work/hobbies does not afford you good shoulder muscle toneā€¦ā€¦start a serious and consistent push-up routine! This is my plan/method/opinion on dealing with recoil!

I did this last year, and found that my .375 AI during load development this year was surprisingly comfortable! At only 60ft/lbs of recoil, it should be acceptable by most shootersā€¦ā€¦unless they have a shoulder/neck injury! That saidā€¦ā€¦for bench work I do use a PAST Recoil Shield which really does help a lot!
memtb

Last edited:
I do have a couple of Decellerator pads on rifles and they do work well but I can't find one with the correct screw spacing so I chose the Limbsaver pad as it has a exact fit for my rifle.No grinding!Exact fit!
Limbsaver pad came in and Past Mag Plus Recoil Shield are in my hands.The Limbsaver has a 2 stage recoil system to handle recoil.The first stage has a semi soft pad but 2ond stage has large rings of harder rubber so the pad never bottoms out completely.
The weather here in Montana has hit last night and have 4 inches of snow on my front porch at 2 am.The snow is expected to get worse so I won't be able to shoot today but as soon as the weather breaks I will shoot it but expect good results as I had 2 bruises the exact distance of pad screws from my recoil pad that measures the same as the bruises on my shoulder so I know for a fact that the recoil pad is gone bad and bottomed out as I also found rubber pieces from of the back side of the pad inside the hollow synthetic stock.
The Past Recoil Shield is just for range duty and not hunting.
All my brothers in Montana will have snow for several days.Those north of us will get it worse.Sorry Akdad and Feenix.
Have not gotten a report from Missoula yet but I expect they were hit hard also.

Last edited:
I do have a couple of Decellerator pads on rifles and they do work well but I can't find one with the correct screw spacing so I chose the Limbsaver pad as it has a exact fit for my rifle.No grinding!Exact fit!
Limbsaver pad came in and Past Mag Plus Recoil Shield are in my hands.The Limbsaver has a 2 stage recoil system to handle recoil.The first stage has a semi soft pad but 2ond stage has large rings of harder rubber so the pad never bottoms out completely.
The weather here in Montana has hit last night and have 4 inches of snow on my front porch at 2 am.The snow is expected to get worse so I won't be able to shoot today but as soon as the weather breaks I will shoot it but expect good results as I had 2 bruises the exact distance of pad screws from my recoil pad that measures the same as the bruises on my shoulder so I know for a fact that the recoil pad is gone bad and bottomed out as I also found rubber pieces from of the back side of the pad inside the hollow synthetic stock.
The Past Recoil Shield is just for range duty and not hunting.
All my brothers in Montana will have snow for several days.Those north of us will get it worse.Sorry Akdad and Feenix.
Have not gotten a report from Missoula yet but I expect they were hit hard also.
Too Soon for that cr.p

I work on the engineering side of road construction... so when it snows then things shut down and you get to have some time off. None of my guys (or me) get summer holidays. So usually in August I start humming or singing jingle bells in a meeting and I get told where to go pretty quickly. Then one guy got transferred into oversseing my group (he had been one that had told me where to go one time...) and a year later I started humming jingle bells and he started singing right along!!!! Afterwards he said now I know why you want it to snow!!!

I work on the engineering side of road construction... so when it snows then things shut down and you get to have some time off. None of my guys (or me) get summer holidays. So usually in August I start humming or singing jingle bells in a meeting and I get told where to go pretty quickly. Then one guy got transferred into oversseing my group (he had been one that had told me where to go one time...) and a year later I started humming jingle bells and he started singing right along!!!! Afterwards he said now I know why you want it to snow!!!
& I just signed papers with a 49er contractor to push snow this winter šŸ„²šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ˜… yes I'm an operator šŸ‘

Had a chance to put 3 rounds of my usual 300 win mag load down range and the problem was in fact the recoil pad.The Limbsaver fit like a glove,no sanding or shaping.
I shot 3 rounds back to back,not for accuracy but just to see and all went as usual.It was cold that day so I did not shoot any other rifle.
Quality Recoil pads do make a difference.

I'm way into suppressors, brakes hurt my ears with protection. I've got two more suppressors shipping out of Silencer Central any day, and I'm even getting ready to suppress my rimfires. I'm through with the noise and felt recoil is not noticeable suppressed. All my threaded rifles are more accurate suppressed than with a brake, as you can guess I'm sold on them, and they are expensive.

Back in early summer I started a thread about possible over pressure in my 300 win mag on a hot day due to the powder I use,IMR4350.
We know it is temp sensitive but never had a problem before.On monday October 16 I took the 300 win mag back to the range.Still a problem!I also took a 300 weatherby mag and again,hard recoil.
Starting last year in the fall saw doctor that speciality is losing weight ,He educated me on diet and and started taking Ozempic and a drug my doctor said would work and now I have lost a bit over 60 pounds.At present 63.7 pounds.
Feel great but the weight must have kept the recoil down as I never had a problem before.Also shoot a 45/70 with stout loads,no problem before.
I need a GOOD muzzle brake for this old man.
Suggestions?
Thanks for this post! As another .45-70 fan this helped alleviate any ridiculous notions that I had about losing weight! šŸ˜„šŸ‘