Love that sound...whoooosh... Whack !!!

Down Under Hunter

Thought I'd just pen a little piece about a hunt just wrapped up.

Hog deer season started on April 1 and after months of scouting I had narrowed things down to a couple of contenders.

Both were nice deer bout the same class, so I decided to take the first that gave me a decent shot opportunity.

These little deer are generally shot right at dawn or last light and the country I was in was wide open as can be seen in the pics.

I had decided to ambush them from way, way back and frankly I had many novice guys that told me what I planned sounded undoable! So in the days prior I had seen where the deer were exiting the field, had put out wind markers and mapped the field manually for range just in case of fog. So I was set..

P4021910.jpg

Second morning the deer took their time to leave and I saw a big set of horns heading for the fence right on legal shooting time. Range him 3 times 560. 565. 565... So dialled for 565 and when he stood let the shot go Booooooooom ... Whooooooosh...( Man that sounds good in the still dawn air !)

P4021911.jpg

Whaaaack ! ( That sounds even better )

He slams face down hit absolutley perfect.

He is a nice head without breaking any records. 15 " on the left, 14 on the right and 12.5 " wide with nice tines. In a tough year a nice one for sure. The big 300 smk put a 2" exit out the back side and killed him with authority.

P4021903_edited.jpg

Guys ask me how you shoot a deer the size of a Lab retriever from those distances and I say" Good equipment, prep work and spending time on the LRHF !"

Go the EDGE !

DUH

Last edited:
Great story and nice pictures. Memories of the moment, priceless! You did your preparations, congratulations!!! The sound out past 1,000 yards is even better!!!!!

Mate top effort .

1 day I will get 1 of the little hoggies. But 4 the moment i want to have a closer look at a certain fallow stag up my way.

Well done DUH, top shot that!!!

That was a nice Hoggie indeed. I think I know that paddock with the lakes in the background?

I went out on the 1st and had no luck, high wind and smoke from the fires up East. Am going over to Sunday Island tonight for my ballot hunt on Saturday and Sunday. See if the 25-06 can do some damage.

Well done DUH, top shot that!!!

That was a nice Hoggie indeed. I think I know that paddock with the lakes in the background?

I went out on the 1st and had no luck, high wind and smoke from the fires up East. Am going over to Sunday Island tonight for my ballot hunt on Saturday and Sunday. See if the 25-06 can do some damage.

Cheers mate !

Hope the wind stays down for you. Its been very tough down there from what I hear from boys who have been out already.

Shoot straight. One in the hand is worth two in the bush down there !

DUH

Hey DUH, thanks for the story and pics. Always enjoy reading about your hunts.

Have you decided to keep your EDGE? Wasn't it up for sale a while back?

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts