Love that sound...whoooosh... Whack !!!

Jawz:
I agree, there's nothing much more fun and satisfying than guiding someone and helping them take a shot. This past year I was sitting in our hunting lodge when my teenage newphew walked in and said "hey, there's deer standing out in the meadow". I got up grabbed my gear, he grabbed his rifle and we proceeded to take a circuitous route (out of site) to a point where we had to low-crawl where we had a vantage point. When we finally had position on one of them deer, it was turned the wrong way so we had to wait for him to turn. It was about five minutes before that happened. All the while, everyone in the lodge was watching with binocular and wondering, why wasn't one of us shooting. While waiting, my nephew and I went over the possible scenarios. Ranged various distances so if the deer moved in one direction or another, we would be ready. Finally, the deer stepped into the woods and we thought we wouldn't get a shot. Fortunately, the deer turned into an opening. I asked my nephew if he could shoot. Peering threw his scope he said "two more steps". I ranged the deer at 150 yards (not a long but, but the longest distance my 14 year old nephew had ever shot). He dialed his scope for the distance and waited. One step, two steps...bang! Deer dropped where he stood. It was fantastic be have been able to share in the experience and one I will never forget. I hope you had the same experience with your friend.

Are the stags that you guys have killed good to eat? The whitetail deer here in Virginia are fantastic on the grill.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.