Hey Kirby–Guess what? Bang, whack….flop #2

ss7mm

Our elk season started Saturday and until today had been kind of uneventful. When we got to the hills this morning we hit fresh snow at about 2500' and at 5000' we had 4-5" of new fresh snow.

We drove down off the main ridge to get to the area where we planned on hunting and in this area we were right on the edge of the smow line. Shortly after legal hunting time we spotted a herd of approximately 40 elk on the ridge to our north.

Washington has kind of weird laws for elk hunting. You have to be drawn to be able to hunt any branched antlered, or cow elk. The hunters that don't get drawn can only shoot spike elk, so that was what was on our agenda today.

In the herd was one spike elk. They made their way down and across the ridge and then turned slightly back. Finally the cows kind of split apart and the spike was standing looking straight south in our direction. He ranged at 690 yards and even though straight on wasn't ideal, it appeared as if he would bolt over the ridge or into cover very soon so we set up for the shot.

My buddy ranged him at 690 and 690 so I dialed for that range, got the new 7mm Allen Magnum rock solid on the harris bipod and rear sand sock and the big 200 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT was on it's way.

It sounded like a 500 pound beaver slapped his tail in a lake full of jello at the impact. The bullet took him slightly on the left side of his neck, ranged rearward through the lungs, turned the lungs to jello, almost exited just behind the ribs but remained just below the skin in the area just rearward of the ribs and then lodged in the front edge of the left hind quarter. At the shot and impact he instantly dropped his head and slightly doubled up, tried to take a step and half way through the step just fell flat on his face. He never twitched or moved, he just ceased to live and breathe instantly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Chalk up one more for the new 7mm Allen Magnum.

Tomorrow we go back to the same area to see if we can get one with the 270 Allen Magnum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This is a picture of the spike where he dropped.
339516.JPG

This is the initial impact area on the bottom, left part of his neck. I have trimmed some of the blood shot meat away so it looks a little more dramatic that it initially did.
339517.JPG

This shows the spot to the rear of the ribs and the final resting spot in the front of the hind quarter. Both of these areas have been trimmed slightly also.
339519.JPG

This is the remains of the 200 grain Wildcat recovered from the front of the hind quarter. There was a small portion of the lead core remaining in the jacket but when it got washed up I lost it. We also dug out 4 or 5 small pieced of lead but I didn't save them. For the damage it did and the length it traveled, I am very satisfied with the performance of the Wildcat.
339544.JPG

Here you go again!! Great shot. Looks like the 7mm AM is as advertised.

Just a few more weeks until our season and Lerch and I will give the 270 AMs a test on game.

Bill Bailey:

We've got 6 more days of elk hunting here and hopefully we can find one to whack with my buddy's 270 AM. I fully expect the results will be the same as with the 7mm AM if we get a chance with the 270 AM.

When we got my elk up to the road a couple of guys stopped by and asked where we got him. I showed them where he fell and where we shot from, and they were amazed. The range seemed to be something they couldn't comprehend. They said we must have been shooting "smart bombs" instead of bullets. Shooting the new AM's almost seems like you're using "smart bombs".

Good luck with your upcoming whitetail hunt. Will be looking forward to some great pics and stories.

I wonder when Richard will start making some Bonded core bullets for the 7 AM around the 200 gr mark?

Great shot too btw!

Stephen

ss7mm,

The laws are precisely why I moved to Idaho. I lived in Kennewick for 18 years then got the heck outta there after college. My paretns still live there, so maybe when I go back to visit we could meet up and do some shooting. Hopefully I will have the 169.5's shooting by then. It is time to start hunting yotes...

Congrats on the spike. Good shootin.

ss7mm,

Congrats, AGAIN, on a fine hunt and shot. I think the 7mm AM will be a good performer in the field!! I already know the 270 AM is but am curious to see how it performs on elk size critters. Best of luck to your partner.

I think the "smart bomb" aspect of the rifles is the guy behind the trigger!! I have been very luckly to have some extremely gifted marksmen as customers. In fact everyone that has ordered one of my Allen Magnums would be far above average shooters and handloaders in my opinion. You guys make me look good!!!

The 6.5mm AX got blooded last night my friend, bang-flop, same as you. It did not turn out to be a long range hunt but I will take em where they show up!!

Was a very exciting weekend though, should be a decent read.

Congrats again!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Good goin'

A little comparison.

690yds - spike elk - tissue damage - 169.5 gr WC - 7mm AM - MV=mucho fasto
125yds - 2X2 Muley - similar tissue damage - 130gr Sierra - 270 Win - MV=3200

Let me just say that that performance you got is exceptional. That is one heck of a combination of cartridge and bullet.

Me thinks Kirby is on a roll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Very, very good shot. Thanks for the picture of the wound channel and the bullet. Hope your friend gets one too.

P.S.

Are you up to full power loads yet and if so what muzzle velocity are you getting with the 200 gr Wildcats.

srhaggerty:

You have that right about the laws. If you can't take time off you only get 2 weekends for deer and 2 weekends for elk. Even though I have all the time off I want, I still only get to hunt deer for 9 days and elk for 9 days.

I think next year the 'ol 7mm AM and I are going to go looking for some good hunts in another state.

Roy,

I believe he was shooting the 200 grain ULD. I have the 270AM, which until Richard gets the 185 ULD out, I am shooting the 169.5. Hope my message didn't confuse you.

Roy:

To say I'm happy with the performance of the APS 7mm AM as well as the Wildcat bullets would be putting it mildly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Both my deer and elk were smacked like a fly with a flyswatter. The Montana/Canada combo really puts the hurt on them big time.

By the way, I'm shooting the 200 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT's in my 7mm AM

I've shot a lot of game with a lot of bullets but the 200 gr. Wildcats out of the 7mm AM have a sound all their own. Even with ear plugs in, the impact sound is amazing and the instantaneous result of the impact is even better. The 'ol Nightforce makes it kind of like watching it all unfold on a big screen tv.

And yes, I also would say that Kirby is on a roll. Looks like he's gonna have something for everybody.

buffalobob:

I'm still using the fire forming loads. I received the rifle the middle of our week of deer season and used part of a day to get some testing done and won't be working up the full tilt loads until after hunting season.

I've shot the fire form loads out to 1440 yards and they work great. One deer and one elk won't argue with that either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My fire form loads are at 2950 fps. I'll probably work up a full tilt load in the range of 3150 to 3250 fps. I'm far more interested in accuracy than velocity bragging rights. It doesn't matter how fast it's going if you cant hit it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, all I got to say is that is one helluva gun to be killing elk at that distance with a fireforming load.

Plus you aren't too sloppy on the trigger either!

Unbelievable, just unbelievable.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.