muzzle brake sound

A single shot from an unbraked CF gun produces enough sound to hearing loss and shooting a braked gun without hearing protection is foolish regardless of the brand.
I use electronic muffs for hunting, and muffs and plugs for shooting for shooting anything CF. I shoot RF with just a single layer of protection. As mentioned above, I use protection with power tools or am on the tractor, and I double up when running a chainsaw or mower.
I don't own a suppressed gun but I have shot several. I would hunt with suppressed gun without protection but wouldn't bench the same gun without having either muffs or plugs.
A note on doubling up- you don't get the total antennuation for each component. The second layer adds about 5db of reduction.
A second note- not all sound damage goes through the ear canal. Concussive energy is transmitted through the bones in the head and to the eardrum.

Yes, Sir, I wear hearing protection when I hunt. I also wear PPEs when working on household tools the generates high noise levels. I spent my 1st 10 years in the USAF at the flightline working on F-4s and A-10s generation and exposed to prolonged high dB noise levels 130 and up.

I have two MT made suppressors and they are a game changer.
In my flightline days, we were told to wear foamies and headsets for hearing protection. Some only wore one, and others did not wear any. I know way too many of them that had hearing loss. I am one of those lucky ones without any hearing loss/damage because I took the time to protect myself. Unfortunately, most think they only have to wear hearing protection with firearms.

noise-levels.png

I hunt and don't like or use muzzle devices. The only one I ever tried was a gentry quite brake, on a light Kimber Montana, it took the edge off the recoil without making the rifle any louder. It is not the most efficient, my nephew changed his Jentry to some ear splitting 4 port monster that significantly reduces recoil. Good luck I hope you find something that works for you.

They need to make a decent Baseball cap, with a pressure switch sewn into the brim. Switch goes to onboard lithium battery, then little micro electric motor. When ya see an Elk strolling by ya squeeze the brim switch between ur thumb N fore finger. Then a pair of 3M Peltor grade muffs deploy and cover your ears, for the shot. Just reverse engineer the landing gear off a 1940 F4U Corsair, but a bit lighter out of nylon and titanium. Get the accuracy of the muzzle brake, with 30dB less noise!!

Another option is the Vais muzzle brake. Same type of design as the Gentry but more, smaller, holes.
That something like a smith builds in Montana. I have one a Ruger Mark 11 in a 338Wm. It cut the recoil down by a bunch. Don't lose sight patten either.
He stated at the time to a young gal. It didn't blow up much dust or dirty when firing laying down. I like the muzzle brake, but he slow in getting them done.
The interesting part was it was a 270 for her boy friend. She worried about the recoil for him. I kind of had to laugh outside, and still do when I think about it.
My rifle in Montana and I am in Mexico-North presently. Otherwise I would take a picture of it and put it up here.

I have seen that test before. It proves what most of us know- all muzzle brakes are loud. Do you wear hearing protection when you hunt? I just started, but wish I had a long time ago. Shop noise has damaged my hearing more than firearms I believe. I guess if I wasn't a tightwad I would just get a suppressor.
There is also selective hearing. I must be gifted with it. I was never one to wear hearing protection. And considering I was a M1A1 Tanker & company armorer. I was also a Mechanic (car racing w/ headers) & motorcycles for over 30 years along with working construction. From running heavy equipment to jackhammers. Hunting most of my life. I also DJ at clubs & did sound for bands. I still have pretty good hearing. Just had a hearing test at work. Which is a loud manufacturing plant of windows. I have fired guns indoors. This is usually the ear ringer for me at times. But I have been getting used to it, the more I do it. Out my back windows. I do like the idea of the newer hearing protection they offer these days. And could see it as a good investment for some. Possibly the cheaper route than trying to put suppressors or silencers on someones guns.

Yep, ya can turn em on N off in ur head, especially if ur working in or near a high danger kill zone.Lose a bit of hearing but, live another day! Ya git these clueless helpers with I phone in and muffs on, walk right in path of a 40 yard CAT scraper, dint hear a Thing, but ears still good.

Last edited:
I hunt the thick woods in pa and wouldnt consider even leaving the house without a suppressor on. It helps to get a short and light can, my go to now is the nomad ti. I run 18 to 22" barrels. To me the 18 to 20" doesnt bother me at all, i notice a difference going to the 22." Im even considering the tbac ultra 5 to go shorter. I cant imagine punishing your ears with a brake when you have cans, just force yourself to keep it on there, you will get used to it....
I would like to try a can but I refuse to pay a tax for a muffler.

I use a timed muzzle brake suppressor adaptor on several rifles. Then I just have to unscrew the one suppressor off of one rifle and onto the other--Low recoil and quiet enough to use without hearing protection. I have several short action "magnums" (6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western) and a few other short action regulars (.260 Rem, 7-08--grandkids rifles or I wouldn't brake 'em) which don't lose much velocity with a shorter barrel. I have 22" barrels on the squatty mags and 20" on a couple of the standards keeping the pipe length down--good compromise between, range, velocity, recoil and noise. Of course, on the big 30s and up, it's a different process.

I use Axil electronic hearing protection for the very reason you mention. My tinnitus is so bad it's almost unbearable without hearing aids in at night caused from exposure to firearms without protection.
Axil amplifies the ambient sound better than someone with 100% hearing yet totally cuts out the sound when you squeeze the trigger. Best purchase you will make before hunting season.

I'm going to try them there on sale now thanks.