muzzle brake sound

I agree with this regarding the vias. I had one on a 9 pound 30 nosler and it was ljust a little short of comfortable from the bench but fine for the field.

Still too loud to shoot without protection for even one shot in the field. I carry ear plugs around my neck at all times a field. Even an unbraked rifle is harmful for you without protection.

View attachment 448138
These 👆🏼are the best for hunting in my experience. They are the easiest to deploy when needed. Use whatever brake works best for you. No fumbling around to find em. And cheap!

Still loud, but not as load as others…..while still being relatively effective for recoil reduction. Research The Gentry Custom Quiet Brake!

When my daughter was a little girl, I put one on her 30-06…..you could shoot it fairly comfortably without ear protection, yet it still made a substantial reduction in felt recoil! memtb
Comfortably loosing your hearing with every shot.

I worked a job for over 40 years where the company required and furnished hearing protection. I don't know if that made my hearing more sensitive or preserved my childhood hearing. I still wear hearing protection using power tools, mowing grass, and of course shooting and hunting. All of our senses are I precious commodities that can't be replaced when they are gone. So do whatever it takes to protect yourself with good eye and hearing protection. You can't put a price on it.

People seem to brake everything from 223 to as big as you can go. Was just curious. Should be a nice handy woods rig.
I started using muzzle brakes in 2003; it was Holland's QD for the .300 WM. Muzzle brakes are not for everybody. An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes: reduced felt recoil and reduced muzzle rise/jump. The latter is often not realized. I am not recoil sensitive, but my rifles and handguns sport a muzzle device (brakes, compensators, and suppressors) from .22 to .33 caliber magnums.

I hunt the thick woods in pa and wouldnt consider even leaving the house without a suppressor on. It helps to get a short and light can, my go to now is the nomad ti. I run 18 to 22" barrels. To me the 18 to 20" doesnt bother me at all, i notice a difference going to the 22." Im even considering the tbac ultra 5 to go shorter. I cant imagine punishing your ears with a brake when you have cans, just force yourself to keep it on there, you will get used to it....

These 👆🏼are the best for hunting in my experience. They are the easiest to deploy when needed. Use whatever brake works best for you. No fumbling around to find em. And cheap!

3M TEP-200 PELTOR Tactical Earplug - Kit

Also if you want really good hearing protection you may give these a look. I've been using these for a couple of years shooting sporting clays and bird hunting. I really like them. They are pretty small, have a couple of hearing levels you can adjust. Also you can change the tips to whatever fits best for you. The best part is they recharge when you put them in the case! I ran customs for years that relied on hearing aid batteries, seems like every time I put them in the batteries went dead, PITA! Never hunted with a rifle with them, but I use them at the range all the time. You can hear really well with them when you turn up the hearing level and it cuts out the gun noise. FYI

Just a side note, do you reload your 460 S&W rounds? Asking because I have a 45 Raptor and reloading info has been vague, even contradictory at times. Although the ammo is nearly identical, one is a pistol, one is a rifle.

From Hogdon
Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
Hodgdon H110 0.451" 2.110" 39.0 2,045 39,400 PSI 42.0 2,243 51,800 PSI
Hodgdon H4227 0.451" 2.110" 37.0 2,007 42,100 PSI 41.0 2,191 54,400 PSI
Winchester 296 0.451" 2.110" 39.0 2,045 39,400 PSI 42.0 2,243 51,800 PSI

note bullet dia is .451? All with 225 grain Bar X

From Lehigh Defense, 220 grain XD

Hodgdon H11040.02,25546.02,450
IMR 422740.02,15044.52,375
max grains way higher

Hogdon test barrel was 10", Lehigh was 20"
I am more inclined to trust Hogdon. Hogdon also used Magnum large rifle primers, Lehigh did not...Lehigh also never posts any pressure readings.

Thoughts?
Yes, but I don't think that I'll be of much help!

I only have two loads/bullets: a 300 grain (cast and a jacketed) bullets with light loads (sub 1100 fps) for plinking and my hunting load using a 400 grain cast at a bit over 1600 fps. I also have a shot shell load using a full length 444 Marlin Mag case …..duplicating a 2 1/2" 410 shot shell!

I didn't get mine for it's long range potential (not scoped) but for more typical handgun ranges…..figuring my maximum range (using a red dot) to be under 150 yards!

Good Luck with your Raptor! memtb

As a side note: I shot it 'ONCE" with a light load without ear protection ……it will never happen again!

I use Axil electronic hearing protection for the very reason you mention. My tinnitus is so bad it's almost unbearable without hearing aids in at night caused from exposure to firearms without protection.
Axil amplifies the ambient sound better than someone with 100% hearing yet totally cuts out the sound when you squeeze the trigger. Best purchase you will make before hunting season.

Comfortably loosing your hearing with every shot.
Really cute! 🤪

This was in 1987 or so when building a rifle for my little girl. It was fired once without ear protection ….just to see what it was like! It was surprising pleasant!

We have no muzzle brakes in our home (except for the factory brake on a S&W 460 handgun). None of our rifles need a brake…..as our hunting rifles are only a .338 WM and a .375 AI. All of the other stuff is used from the bench, plinking, or varmint hunting …..where ear protection is used! memtb

Last edited:
I feel regardless it's going to be loud since it's a shorter barreled 300 mag, with a brake I wouldn't go without some ear protection. I recently had a 300wm rebarreled with a 22" cf and it increased recoil and volume due to shortening the barrel, dropped 1.75lb in barrel weight. I bought an Area 419 sidewinder and it's a godsend, I could shoot all day if ammo wasn't so expensive. I have a short video of the brake off/on the rifle on YouTube, shooter is about 5'11 210lbs and the amount of felt recoil and muzzle jump is night and day.

I think you're partially correct, to me when I'm shooting I don't think it's louder, idk how to explain it though, seems like the sound duration is shorter. If you're not directly behind the gun, you're absolutely right. You get blasted with noise and concussion, it's pretty brutal with a really good brake. At a flat range I try to put at least one empty lane between me and another person, but if that's not possible I warn everyone lol.