muzzle brake sound

Still loud, but not as load as others…..while still being relatively effective for recoil reduction. Research The Gentry Custom Quiet Brake!

When my daughter was a little girl, I put one on her 30-06…..you could shoot it fairly comfortably without ear protection, yet it still made a substantial reduction in felt recoil! memtb

Plus 1 here I own a couple of these.

I can and have swapped between factor Weatherby brakes and a Gentry on the same gun and the perceived amount of noise to the shooter is noticeably less. Same gun same ammo

M.

If you are wearing quality hearing protection, then you might just as well use a brake that maximizes recoil reduction. What is the purpose of a "quieter" brake that is less efficient (or even inefficient) at recoil reduction?

I have a Vais on a rifle that was built before all of the advancements in brake design. It looks really nice on the rifle but it doesn't work nearly as well as a good side discharge brake. I also have the fake brake that Browning has put on many of their fine rifles. It's loud and barely reduces recoil. I showed it to a custom brake manufacturer who said, "I can't see how this would work at all".

The biggest downside to brakes on hunting rifles is that in the moment of truth, you've got to remember to put your hearing protection on. I fired my 338RUM, with PK brake, without any hearing protection when a bull moose walked out in front of me. The last thing on my mind was the hearing protection that was conveniently wrapped around my arm!! I paid the price for that mistake and it's much easier to make than you think.

Last edited:
I personally like my Hawkins 3 port, it's not the best brake but I like a blended look and one nice thing about the "less loud" brakes with 90 degree ports or rear shield ports isn't just the sound but the concussion to your shooter/spotter. Some of the prs brakes made for all out recoil reduction feel like getting punched in the face concussion wise.

I once a guide curse at me over putting in ear pro. I still got my bull, and he didn't connect the dots when talking about his hearing damage from a previous clients braked rifle.

My latest MB to try.

E55F2BDF-032A-45D5-868B-154F9A4BEBF4.jpeg

NO

There's are brakes that are less loud than other brakes.

Absolutely zero, zero brakes are ear friendly without protection.
No suppressors are "hearing safe" either, unless you use subsonic ammo

Obviously they are much quieter than a bare muzzle or muzzle brake, some more than others

Another option is the Vais muzzle brake. Same type of design as the Gentry but more, smaller, holes.
Unfortunately, the Vais brake doesn't seem to be available. I read something about a lawsuit but can't recall the outcome. I tried to get a couple for my varmint rifles a bit over a year ago and could find nothing.

Recent Posts