muzzle brake sound

Savage Super Striker 15" barrel, 308 Winchester, had an on -off muzzle brake that was open or closed with a twist. Earmuffs off, a nearly deaf guy could tolerate firing with brake closed. When that brake's open, like putN a couple yards thru an M60, same bad ring for few days following!
Boy, It's been a long while since I've put a few yards thru a M60!!! Thanks for that brother, ain't heard that in years!!!

Look into the Heathen brake, it has 90 degree rear ports. Used several for years and liked them, particularly the relative lack of concussion compared to more aggressive brakes.

I've recently switched over to Griffin brakes...because they have an integrated taper mount and I run their Bushwacker 46 suppressor across most of my rifles. I'm sure the brake itself is not as "quiet" as the Heathen.
Thank you will check them out.

Still loud, but not as load as others…..while still being relatively effective for recoil reduction. Research The Gentry Custom Quiet Brake!

When my daughter was a little girl, I put one on her 30-06…..you could shoot it fairly comfortably without ear protection, yet it still made a substantial reduction in felt recoil! memtb
THANKS

Still loud, but not as load as others…..while still being relatively effective for recoil reduction. Research The Gentry Custom Quiet Brake!

When my daughter was a little girl, I put one on her 30-06…..you could shoot it fairly comfortably without ear protection, yet it still made a substantial reduction in felt recoil! memtb
It's not always possible, but never shoot without ear protection. I'm paying the price now. Wish I would've used more ear pro earlier.

Gentry and Vais are the quietest. Not to say that quiet, but also the least recoil reduction.
Gentry (there is nothing quiet about it) and Vais are the worst MBs I ever had, and I could not get rid of them fast enough. Unfortunately, one of my rifles still sports a Vais, only because it came with it.

Gentry quiet MB.jpg

What was it you did not like about the Vais?
Precisely as the Gentry Quiet brake picture shows, they are less effective in reducing felt recoil as side port baffle designs. Shooting prone is another story. I am only keeping the one I have now because I did not want to spend any on a new MB for it. I have plenty of other MBs but the wrong thread. I will be using this rifle for range targets only.

Precisely as the Gentry Quiet brake picture shows, they are less effective in reducing felt recoil as side port baffle designs. Shooting prone is another story. I am only keeping the one I have now because I did not want to spend any on a new MB for it. I have plenty of other MBs but the wrong thread. I will be using this rifle for range targets only.
If you shoot prone, you better be wearing goggles. I use one at the range but it comes off during hunting.