6.5 PRC

I'm having a 6.5 PRC built. I've told my smith he can take his time because I cannot come across enough components to feel confident with the caliber from a reloading aspect. I've got what I would need to get going but have only been able to come across two box of loaded ammo cause I cannot come across brass without paying dumb amounts for 50 or 100rds. Which I'm not willing to do yet. Numbers look good but debating on selling what I have and going a different 6.5 route.
Honestly I wouldn't let that worry me. Over Time with the Ruger/Hornady partnership there's going to be plenty of components and factory ammo.

Note: I don't have one nor am I planning to have a 6.5PRC but I would not let those considerations play on me if I were considering it.

If I should ever shoot out my 6.5LRM I'll probably just do a straight 6.5-375Ruger with a 30 degree neck so I don't have to rely on single source brass from one company.

I'm having a 6.5 PRC built. I've told my smith he can take his time because I cannot come across enough components to feel confident with the caliber from a reloading aspect. I've got what I would need to get going but have only been able to come across two box of loaded ammo cause I cannot come across brass without paying dumb amounts for 50 or 100rds. Which I'm not willing to do yet. Numbers look good but debating on selling what I have and going a different 6.5 route.
I've been a 6.5 nut for many years, mostly shooting the 6.5x284N. Taken dozens of animals out to +1000 yards. Put good bullet in the right place with the right load, and it works for me. At its introduction a few years back, I was quite intrigued by the 6.5PRC, but decided to wait it out, giving the market a chance to offer a greater variety of components, particularly brass. Seems worse today then it was back then….So I have not bought one yet. I do have a few buddies that have 6.5 PRC's and have noted that when using the same high intensity powders/bullets, I have no problem at all duplicating the ballistic performance/accuracy with my 6.5x284's. My desire for a 6.5 PRC has lessened, and I remain quite content with my 6.5x284's.
I must say that I am grateful for the introduction of the 6.5PRC. Since it's introduction, I have had no issue at all acquiring my preferred, Lapua brass for my 6.5x284's……Just took a delivery of 100 cases yesterday!

So each their own?
Meaning, people plinking long range at big game with inadequate ammo is "nah…….ok?
There's an argument that it's enough cartridge to kill an elk at long range because it technically is. Better hit it perfect and hopefully he's in an area he can run several hundred yards before expiring and still be recovered.

As hunters it isn't our job to tell other hunters what to do or how to do it. We're all on the same team and should not be divided so easily.

I've been a 6.5 nut for many years, mostly shooting the 6.5x284N. Taken dozens of animals out to +1000 yards. Put good bullet in the right place with the right load, and it works for me. At its introduction a few years back, I was quite intrigued by the 6.5PRC, but decided to wait it out, giving the market a chance to offer a greater variety of components, particularly brass. Seems worse today then it was back then….So I have not bought one yet. I do have a few buddies that have 6.5 PRC's and have noted that when using the same high intensity powders/bullets, I have no problem at all duplicating the ballistic performance/accuracy with my 6.5x284's. My desire for a 6.5 PRC has lessened, and I remain quite content with my 6.5x284's.
I must say that I am grateful for the introduction of the 6.5PRC. Since it's introduction, I have had no issue at all acquiring my preferred, Lapua brass for my 6.5x284's……Just took a delivery of 100 cases yesterday!
New stuff always intrigues people for sure. I was not crazy about it as well, since I have a pile of 6.5-284 stuff, but figured it was worth a test. If running a short barrel and short action the PRC is wicked good. If running a medium or long action and more standard-ish barrel, the 6.5-284 is still king in my mind... for all the reason you stated. For me it really boiled down to compromises of what I was trying to achieve. I have zero desire to part ways with my 6.5-284 stuff even if it just sits on the shelf for now.

So each their own?
Meaning, people plinking long range at big game with inadequate ammo is "nah…….ok?
It means people of free will can choose what they want to shoot. Long range is subjective and lack of practice has always been a bigger factor than lack of horse power. At any range.

To me a 6.5 prc is not a 1k yard elk cartridge but to each there own I guess.
It is an elk killer at whatever distance the bullet will still have enough velocity to open up isn't it? When I ran numbers at elevation for my 6.5 PRC set up, I am pretty sure I was good on paper out around 1200 yards.

I used to think energy at impact was the most important thing until somebody pointed out to me the energy at the muzzle of a 44 mag was like 700 ft lbs is all. Now I focus on the minimum FPS my bullet will perform (open up). That becomes my new maximum effective range for that rig.

I bought a 6.5 PRC Seekin Havek 3 years ago and love it. I purchased it to shoot long range steel with and it hasn't let me down, but what I have learned in that 3 years was a eye opener for me. Before I started shooting long range I would take out my hunting gun (300 Rum go big or go home) and make sure it was sighted in and shoot 2 to 4 shots at 200 yards and call it good and go hunting, not spending anytime behind the gun. What i have learned sense is that it's not how big a gun you shoot as it is to know how to put the bullet in the boiler room every time. Shooting a 1000 yards has it challenges and risk's no different then a archer who chooses to shoot a elk at 60 to 80 yards ( I've killed 5 for 6 at these ranges, the one I screwed up on was 45yards and I guessed it at 50 and hit him high sad lesson to learn to never shoot without knowing exactly my range). The point i'm make is you have to spend the time behind the gun or bow and know your limits. I have sense sold the 300 Rum and I'm planning on just using my PRC for Elk in the future when I'm to old to do it with a Bow.
Good luck and happy shooting.

Attachments

• 58087460088__B08CAB67-8CD8-48C2-9EDB-D8596027B23C.JPG
    58087460088__B08CAB67-8CD8-48C2-9EDB-D8596027B23C.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
It is an elk killer at whatever distance the bullet will still have enough velocity to open up isn't it? When I ran numbers at elevation for my 6.5 PRC set up, I am pretty sure I was good on paper out around 1200 yards.

I used to think energy at impact was the most important thing until somebody pointed out to me the energy at the muzzle of a 44 mag was like 700 ft lbs is all. Now I focus on the minimum FPS my bullet will perform (open up). That becomes my new maximum effective range for that rig.
That is the entire point about TERMINAL BALLISTICS. Most people fail to take science into the argument and just run with some myth called Knock Down PowA. It boils down to impact velocity, bullet design, impact point, and energy. Energy being the least important for the simple fact that energy has to be transferred to the target and that is very subjective. For example, if you shoot a 50 cal at 2800 fps with 5000 ft lbs of energy, it sounds wicked. What if that bullet is armor piercing...... in this case the bullet will not expand, will not transfer much of the energy, it will pass through and continue its path to something that will actually stop it. What good is that? Some will then say its the frontal area..... yep ok, good point. The difference between a .264 and .308 is .044 thou. Is that really an arguable point?

There's an argument that it's enough cartridge to kill an elk at long range because it technically is. Better hit it perfect and hopefully he's in an area he can run several hundred yards before expiring and still be recovered.

As hunters it isn't our job to tell other hunters what to do or how to do it. We're all on the same team and should not be divided so easily.
very well said! we should all take in consideration of being united hunters at the very least.

Very well said!

Good Luck with your new rifle. I have four 6.5's in several calibers and love them all. My 6.5 x 284 is my sweetheart in this realm but I am having a new 6.5 PRC built and can't wait to get it. I want to second or third the comments about long range shooting being a very serious game. It takes lots and lots of practice before a person should even consider taking a shot at any live animal at anywhere close to 1000 yards. There is such a big difference between shooting steel on a range and hitting animals with the precision needed to make a clean/quick kill. There are numerous rifle/caliber combination that are more than capable of dispatching game at 1000 yards and beyond but not that many people that spend the time behind their rifle, learning their ballistics, how to read the wind or how to read the animal so you can make a clean ethical kill. I think you are going to love the new rifle in the 6.5 PRC.

I bought a 6.5 PRC Seekin Havek 3 years ago and love it. I purchased it to shoot long range steel with and it hasn't let me down, but what I have learned in that 3 years was a eye opener for me. Before I started shooting long range I would take out my hunting gun (300 Rum go big or go home) and make sure it was sighted in and shoot 2 to 4 shots at 200 yards and call it good and go hunting, not spending anytime behind the gun. What i have learned sense is that it's not how big a gun you shoot as it is to know how to put the bullet in the boiler room every time. Shooting a 1000 yards has it challenges and risk's no different then a archer who chooses to shoot a elk at 60 to 80 yards ( I've killed 5 for 6 at these ranges, the one I screwed up on was 45yards and I guessed it at 50 and hit him high sad lesson to learn to never shoot without knowing exactly my range). The point i'm make is you have to spend the time behind the gun or bow and know your limits. I have sense sold the 300 Rum and I'm planning on just using my PRC for Elk in the future when I'm to old to do it with a Bow.
Good luck and happy shooting.
Funny - I sold my 300 rum and 300 wby and 270 wsm after I killed my first elk with my PRC. Lol. Since it became my primary big game rifle, it has killed bears, elk and mulies and done an exceptional job. I was never a 6.5 supporter but I have found they kill way above their pay grade. Its a little heavy- I think I am just over 10lbs with scope and bipod, so I just bought a 12.5" barrel 308 to use for short range work out to 500 yds.

I am not ready to commit to my magnum days being over, I would like another 30 or 28 Nosler one day, but realistically I have my long range hunting covered with the 6.5 PRC and short range stuff with the 308.

Funny - I sold my 300 rum and 300 wby and 270 wsm after I killed my first elk with my PRC. Lol. Since it became my primary big game rifle, it has killed bears, elk and mulies and done an exceptional job. I was never a 6.5 supporter but I have found they kill way above their pay grade. Its a little heavy- I think I am just over 10lbs with scope and bipod, so I just bought a 12.5" barrel 308 to use for short range work out to 500 yds.

I am not ready to commit to my magnum days being over, I would like another 30 or 28 Nosler one day, but realistically I have my long range hunting covered with the 6.5 PRC and short range stuff with the 308.
Nice set ups. Here is my short range rig...
9300CB41-B35E-4E42-BECC-0257804DDE03.jpeg

Recent Posts