6.5-7mm prc

To each their own, but I don't get the short barrel fad. 20 vs 26" isn't that big of a deal when we're talking about a long range rifle and carrying it around. The extra 150-200fps is worth it to me.
Shorter barrels are not exactly a fad- Rem 600 Mohawk, model 7 being examples- they've been around a long time. Whether you prefer shorter or longer is great, if it is what you want. Personally, it depends on where and what I'm hunting. I find that 22 - 24" barrels fit most of my needs. Due to variables beyond my control- such as western winds and animal behavior- I'll likely limit shots to 800 yds or less.

So just to clarify, are you saying there are people who are taking Hornady 7 mm PRC and necking it up to 30 cal? If so, I would like the details cause I googled it and didn't really find anything.

Or do you mean taking the 300 PRC case and necking it down to 7 mm?
Necking up the 7PRC to 30 cal.
Furman on LRO. and Alex Wheeler are testing it.

Shorter barrels are not exactly a fad- Rem 600 Mohawk, model 7 being examples- they've been around a long time. Whether you prefer shorter or longer is great, if it is what you want. Personally, it depends on where and what I'm hunting. I find that 22 - 24" barrels fit most of my needs. Due to variables beyond my control- such as western winds and animal behavior- I'll likely limit shots to 800 yds or less.
I went with a short barrel (18") because I run a TBAC ultra 9 suppressor. I ran the suppressor with a 22" barrel and it was still too long.

I'm very new to the idea of "wildcatting." It seems with the right knowledge and tooling, just about anything is attemptable. So this seems as good a place to ask as any: are there any rules/limitations? For example, I have thought that, what I would call, a 6.5-280AI would be a neat cartridge. (I have a lot of 280AI brass, and I love the 6.5 ballistic numbers.) Perhaps it already exists with a different name, but I am unaware of it. Is that a realistic concept to explore?