7mm PRC

Does anyone have real world info and not hype unless Im missing something I cant see this cartridge doing more than 7mm rem ,7mm wsm,7mm stw and so on using 175 gr nosler partition just curious
Heres the deal. Compared to say a 7 mag ( stw is not a valid comparison) the saami twist on a 7 prc is 8 versus 9 for the 7 mag. Makes a difference shooting heavy long bullets. Factory rifles are barreled with saami twist almost exclusively. Also the neck is longer relative to case length so long bullets are not seated into powder space.makes a difference. It's made for guys buying factory rifles shooting factory ammo. In short most people. Not the guy who reloads building a custom rifle. In that regard it's an improvement over the 7 mag.

Mossberg Patriot
7MM PRC
175 ELD-X bullet
Asiatic water buffalo ~1k pounds
1 shot and it flopped over after taking a single step.
Old Army buddy and I were chasing one today in Texas.
41363 (1).jpeg

The last one I help chase required 7 x 180 grain core-lockts to the point of the shoulder to bring it down and even then I used a 357 magnum at powder burn distance to finally dispatch it.

Amazingly tough critters and this picture does not do the size of this thing any justice sadly.

Does anyone have real world info and not hype unless Im missing something I cant see this cartridge doing more than 7mm rem ,7mm wsm,7mm stw and so on using 175 gr nosler partition just curious
Are you wanting to buy off the shelf ammo or are you reloading with the 175 partition? I haven't heard of that combo yet and as someone else stated, the PRC wasn't built for a bullet like that. If that's the bullet you must have then I'd pick up a rem mag and call it good. Rem mag brass is cheaper by about $30-60 per 100 pieces if you reload.
If you want to shoot longer than about 500 yards, then chose another bullet and go PRC with off the shelf or reload ammo. I stuck with 7RM but went 20" barrel, with an 8 twist.

Heres the deal. Compared to say a 7 mag ( stw is not a valid comparison) the saami twist on a 7 prc is 8 versus 9 for the 7 mag. Makes a difference shooting heavy long bullets. Factory rifles are barreled with saami twist almost exclusively. Also the neck is longer relative to case length so long bullets are not seated into powder space.makes a difference. It's made for guys buying factory rifles shooting factory ammo. In short most people. Not the guy who reloads building a custom rifle. In that regard it's an improvement over the 7 mag.
Why wouldn't the stw be a solid comparison the claim on prc is having velocities in 3000 to 3200 fps range which is why I asked the question as to real world info or testing

Why wouldn't the stw be a solid comparison the claim on prc is having velocities in 3000 to 3200 fps range which is why I asked the question as to real world info or testing
The Stw has a larger case capacity than a 7 mag or prc.

Thats correct however the claim is having the prc is getting velosities as the mag or stw hince real world info ,experience etc it seems to hype for gun sales

What bullet and who is claiming 3200fps out of a 7prc?

I'm only aware of 6 factory loads so far for the PRC.

Federal 175 ELDX @3000
Federal 155 TA @3100
Federal 170 TA @????
Hornady 160 CX @3000
Hornady 175 ELDX @3000
Hornady 180 ELDM @2975

Last edited:
Who is claiming that the 7mm PRC is comparable to the 7STW? Hornady?
Nobody is saying that (besides maybe the OP here). Hornady says it a modernized 7mm magnum. Fast twist, no belt, fits in a 3.4" magazine and 2900-2950 fps with 180s out of a shorter barrel.

The STW is hamstrung by the twist rate and overly long case. A better comparison to the STW would be a 28 Nosler or 7mm RUM, I think those three are in a different class.

The only comparison that should be made to a 7mm PRC is the 7mm Rem Mag, but that is often compared to a 7mm WSM and SAUM. All three of those, with factory chamberings and SAAMI specs lack the 1:8 twist (so do the bigger 7mm magnums).

No, the 7mm PRC isn't the fastest, or best 7mm magnum ever made, Hornady has never claimed that, they just modernized it. So to answer the question - what can a 7mm PRC do that other 7mm magnums can't? Shoot 180gr VLD bullets with a SAAMI spec barrel and chamber.

Last edited: