7mm prc

ann brezinski

thoughts on this round for hunting elk at long range and what would be your bullet choice .just askingif you already have used it on elk how did you like the way it preformed

Mine has killed two cow elk but I was not the shooter. One at 320 and another at 860. The one at 320 took one behind the shoulder and stayed on her feet long enough to chamber another round and tipped over, the one at 860 was a high shoulder shot and dumped like you dropped a car on her back. Both were killed with factory 180 eldm ammo. It shot so well I didn't bother developing a load for it. I love this caliber and wouldn't hesitate to put the same load on a big bull elk out to 1000 yards. As a guy who has spent a ton of time behind a 7mm rem mag and various other bigger and smaller 284 cal rifles this has absolutely been my favorite. It hits the sweet spot in my opinion. There are those who will say blah blah 7mm rem mag does the same blah blah. Don't listen to them, this calibers a beast and it has a lot of potential if you handload.

thoughts on this round for hunting elk at long range and what would be your bullet choice
Kills just fine. Took a cow last fall, though not "long range" …she popped up 30 yards in front of me. Hammered her with 155 gr. Hammer Hunter (MV 3160 fps). She didn't go far.

IMG_1270.jpeg

I'm a 7RM fan, 80% of my 50 year life I've admired it to the fullest.
It's a goner, compared to 7PRC I do believe.
Same here. Progress is a thing. Better cartridge and chamber design. Better saami twist rates in factory rifles.

7RM isn't going anywhere, there's millions of them out there and they're popular on every continent. It's too established for the PRC to make it extinct but it will certainly (and is) having its sales cut into and will continue to. No cartridge has gained as much popularity in modern times as quickly as the 7PRC.

New to this forum, far from a newbie hunting. Picked up a Fierce CT Rage 7mm PRC topped off with a Zeiss V6. Shooting factory Hornady 180gr ELD-M at the moment, but have 100pcs of ADG brass and an assortment of bullets waiting (including a box of Berger 190gr Hybrid Hunters and 170gr Hammer Hunter Tipped). So far, only poked holes in paper and am very pleased with the accuracy. Hornady has stretched the velocity a bit (using a Garmin Xero) but the accuracy is very good. IMO, the 7mm PRC was never meant to surpass a 7mm Rem Mag, just do it a little better. Mag box for longer bullets, throated and twisted for longer bullets... I'm happy with it and also happy that need has nothing to do with it, 100% a want!