7mm PRC

I would think that working up a load for the 7mm Rem Mag on H4831 the 58 grs seem light, but that is what is shown. The Rem PRC is a 26" barrel length, and the 7mmRM is 24". Hodgdon on shows 24" in the & PRC.
Bottom line I got it back from the smith. Trigger change to TriggerTex, and muzzel brake. Action bedded. It was workjed over from what Rem sent out. Did blueprinted the action at this time. Leaving to Mexico-North tomorrow for several months. i am to go get with my brother there and see what we can come up with.
Be safe, you don't want the gringo hunters chasing you.

I loaded the Berger 180 VLD Hunting with H1000, ADG brass, and CCI 34 primers. 68.6 grains is a true winner at a COL of 3.300" and 3.3340". Both groups were sub-MOA and put me near 3k fps. 3.300" yielded 2980 fps and 3.3340" yielded 2993 fps with SDs of 5.0 and 6.7, respectively. I got very light ejector marks when I shot 69.8 grains. It was 28 degrees when I shot these loads.
Hi Countrykang8,
I am helping a friend reload for his rifle with the same Berger. How far off the lands is the 3.340 load?

Thanks,

PH

Aren't all of them similar in performance? I mean, not enough to affect anything?
That depends on if it's to SAAMI specs or not. Yes, a custom barrel with a faster twist in any of them will be as good or better than a 7mm PRC. But that's not what the intention is. It's for shooting 175-180gr VLD style bullets out of a factory rifle with factory ammo. Do any of those other SAAMI chamberings offer that?

My 3 longest shots I ever made was with a 7mm Rem. Mag.back in Montana when I lived there for 20+ years ,.... In the good years of Montana,1966 to 1987 I had ton's of BLM Land and a lot of Ranchers land to hunt. I made a Cow Elk shot near Yellowstone Park in the late season
she was uphill about ,HELL I really do not know I was using a 160 Speer with 69.5 grains of 4831 First shot I held about 2 feet over her back,waited and snow flew under her lungs about even with her hooves,,she just stood there looked around ,I jacked a nother round in and put the cross hairs about 6 feet maybe a little more and pulled the trigger,waited for about 6 seconds and she dropped like lightening hit her,was using a R77,24" and 4-12 Redfield. She never quivered and when I got there she was laying down hill in about 3 1/2 feet of snow,it was Jan. about a -25 and cold as hell. The bullet cut the top of her heart off and was lodged under the skin on the other side,weighed 160 with no mushroom went between 2 ribs and lodged between 2 ribs. Samme load took 2 big Antelope at around 500 and a big Muley at right at 450 ,no bullets on any of those as complet pass through. Never owned a crony back then ,loaded to hunt and eat. I just bought a 7mm PRC Wilderness and really love it I have not shot it as of yet ,have about 13#'s of LRT and some 180 ELD Match and some 190 A Tips Waiting for weather to warm a little.would like in the 60's and no wind, and waiting for my foot to heal,at 77 I do not bounce very good anymore!! Don't wear tennis shoes and climb on a ladder,the 2 do not mix well !! As for the Remington I really loved the Cartridge ,but evry one I ever owned had to have the throat lengthened if I wanted to shoot 175 's and Remington made the mistake of putting too slow of a twist on it. I really think had they listened to the Longe Rang guy's the Cartridge would have been a Lightning Rod. This Bergara will likely be my last as I have always loved the .284 Caliber, my first one was a 700 ADL that I stuck the stock and Action together,no real bedding kits back then ,especially in Montana ,Old gun Smith told me to use body putty with epoxy and lots of Paste wax,well screwed up some wear putting it together! But man did it shoot!! That was 1967. This is now and the Bergara is as close to getting what I want without going to a Smith. I do not shoot anything other than paper anymore as I have a ton of memories from Montana and N.Dakota in the mid to late 60's, Pete

My 3 longest shots I ever made was with a 7mm Rem. Mag.back in Montana when I lived there for 20+ years ,.... In the good years of Montana,1966 to 1987 I had ton's of BLM Land and a lot of Ranchers land to hunt. I made a Cow Elk shot near Yellowstone Park in the late season
she was uphill about ,HELL I really do not know I was using a 160 Speer with 69.5 grains of 4831 First shot I held about 2 feet over her back,waited and snow flew under her lungs about even with her hooves,,she just stood there looked around ,I jacked a nother round in and put the cross hairs about 6 feet maybe a little more and pulled the trigger,waited for about 6 seconds and she dropped like lightening hit her,was using a R77,24" and 4-12 Redfield. She never quivered and when I got there she was laying down hill in about 3 1/2 feet of snow,it was Jan. about a -25 and cold as hell. The bullet cut the top of her heart off and was lodged under the skin on the other side,weighed 160 with no mushroom went between 2 ribs and lodged between 2 ribs. Samme load took 2 big Antelope at around 500 and a big Muley at right at 450 ,no bullets on any of those as complet pass through. Never owned a crony back then ,loaded to hunt and eat. I just bought a 7mm PRC Wilderness and really love it I have not shot it as of yet ,have about 13#'s of LRT and some 180 ELD Match and some 190 A Tips Waiting for weather to warm a little.would like in the 60's and no wind, and waiting for my foot to heal,at 77 I do not bounce very good anymore!! Don't wear tennis shoes and climb on a ladder,the 2 do not mix well !! As for the Remington I really loved the Cartridge ,but evry one I ever owned had to have the throat lengthened if I wanted to shoot 175 's and Remington made the mistake of putting too slow of a twist on it. I really think had they listened to the Longe Rang guy's the Cartridge would have been a Lightning Rod. This Bergara will likely be my last as I have always loved the .284 Caliber, my first one was a 700 ADL that I stuck the stock and Action together,no real bedding kits back then ,especially in Montana ,Old gun Smith told me to use body putty with epoxy and lots of Paste wax,well screwed up some wear putting it together! But man did it shoot!! That was 1967. This is now and the Bergara is as close to getting what I want without going to a Smith. I do not shoot anything other than paper anymore as I have a ton of memories from Montana and N.Dakota in the mid to late 60's, Pete
MT is a great state!
Hunted with the Copenhavers out of Ovando in the 1980's.
Had a 340 Wby that was the Hammer of Thor.
You brought back some great memories.

Thanks!

I hunted the BearTooths ,The Big Snowies ,Pryor Mountains,so darn much BLM,National Forest land one could hunt forever and be lucky if he or she would see another hunter,if you were lucky to find a Rancher that bordered his land to BLM or National Forest you were in heaven. One of my favorite place to Bow and Gun hunt was the Missouri Breaks on the C M Russel National Wild Life Refuge. When hunting Elk with a Bow you would likely see 150-200 head of Elk every day. one time my Bubby and his wife and I were up there and made camp before the hunt started the next day. We see anot of sign,went back to camp made dinner and had a couple Beers around the fire. I told Bob,'m going to try my luck at Bugling,grabed a toilet paper tube ,remembering what different Bulls sound like exhaled and sucked in all the air I could while using my throat and let out a big one...........Bob's wife said s--t and Bob said do it again I was half dizzy but did it again and about a mile away you could hear a faint respond. This went on back and forth for about 10 minutes, did not have a answer for another 4 or 5 minutes I challenged him again he answered and was only about 40 to 50 yds. from us,campfire was bright as hell he circled us and challenged me again, Bob's Wife said don't answer him,I did not and we sat there about 1/2 hour put the fire out and hit the hay as 4 A.M. would come fast.We got up had some coffee took breakfast bars and headed out to where we had seen a lot of sign and seen a bunch oh cows but no Bulls,had a few loners pass about 2 to 300 yards away god rifle shot but great viewing for archers. about 11:30 I sad lets go back to camp eat lunch rest a little and head back out around 3:30, then I said lets see how close he got to camp we walked and were at a spot that we could see the tent at about 50 yds through the trees,looking for sign on the ground and all of a sudden that SOB crashed out of the under brush ,he was lying down and he put his rack back over his *** and was breaking branches about 2" in dia. running like a Quarter Horse. he was the only Monarch I had ever seen in all my years of hunting, when I think back on it I out smarted him but he outsmarted us,I'm glad he got away, as a mount on the wall is not like seeing him in the wild, challenging him and and him leaving with his life. I am almost certain no one ever got him and he died the way he was supposed to. I had talked to the Fish and Game Biologist the next spring and they had been up checking for cals and he said the found some huge sheds from a 8 pointer,I kinda smiled and it made me feel better, Pete

What bullet and who is claiming 3200fps out of a 7prc?

I'm only aware of 6 factory loads so far for the PRC.

Federal 175 ELDX @3000
Federal 155 TA @3100
Federal 170 TA @2950
Hornady 160 CX @3000
Hornady 175 ELDX @3000
Hornady 180 ELDM @2975
Weatherby has added 3 loads

175 Berger Elite Hunter @2925
177 Hammer Custom @2925
150 Swift Scirocco @3050

Weatherby has added 3 loads

175 Berger Elite Hunter @2925
177 Hammer Custom @2925
150 Swift Scirocco @3050
I just shot a friend's 7mm PRC on Friday and he had the 160 gr Hornady CX load. We got no where near the advertised velocities. I will say the rifle has a 22" barrel, but even if you added 50fps per inch, we were still 100 fps off advertised velocities.