7mm PRC

Mike apple

Interesting read here about the 7mm PRC if you can Wade through....weed past all the 6mm talk at first of the article. Basically what I gather is it's faster and can shoot heavier bullets than a 7mm but not as fast as the 28 nosler and above the same as my current 7mm stw. I can't shoot as heavy of a bullet due to my 1:9.25 twist but other than that about the same. Your thoughts??

Interesting read here about the 7mm PRC if you can Wade through....weed past all the 6mm talk at first of the article. Basically what I gather is it's faster and can shoot heavier bullets than a 7mm but not as fast as the 28 nosler and above the same as my current 7mm stw. I can't shoot as heavy of a bullet due to my 1:9.25 twist but other than that about the same. Your thoughts??
I think it is between a 7MM and the 7 STW in performance from what I understand.

You have to think about it outside of the box. This new cartridge does not change the science of cartridge making. They say that you can load heavier bullets in this cartridge and the barrels have a faster twist. This cartridge was literally built with the factory ammo user in mind to allow them to use a heavier bullet with a high BC. To reloaders, the twist and being able to shoot a heavier bullet has never been a problem for us especially when you have your rifle built to the specs that you want. It was made with the factory ammo user in mind to solve the problem of people complaining about no high BC options. Its pretty smart of them to cater to that as it makes up most of the population of hunters.

I can push a 170 gr bullet out of a 24" barrel around 3050 fps while reloading for a 7 RM. The 7 PRC would probably be about the same. I say all this and I have a 7 PRC. I just got it because I like tinkering with stuff.

So far, my new 7PRC doesn't seem to be any better than my old 7WSM. They both shoot the same bullets at similar velocities. Tailored loads for the 7WSM are shooting smaller groups than the 7PRC @ the 400yd line. It's kind of surprising since the 7WSM is using crappy Winchester brass and the 7PRC loads are built with Peterson brass.

We'll see how things progress

So far, my new 7PRC doesn't seem to be any better than my old 7WSM. They both shoot the same bullets at similar velocities. Tailored loads for the 7WSM are shooting smaller groups than the 7PRC @ the 400yd line. It's kind of surprising since the 7WSM is using crappy Winchester brass and the 7PRC loads are built with Peterson brass.

Spot on my friend, my 7wsm out ran this prc by 100 fps with 140-150 class bullets using cheap components. And in theory (sales marketing), with the twist it carries on factory guns it should shoot those heavy factories better than a rem mag but in my findings and reading every post on this site about the prc, more guys than not aren't getting those numbers. It's a good cartridge, but Hornady and their minions pumped it up to be something it's not, rainbows and unicorns

Reminds me of the 6.8 Western compared to say the 270 WSM, or the old Rem. 6mm compared to say one of the 6.5 cartridges out there in that there's not a lot of difference. I think IF I ever were to get a version of the 6.5 I'd have to go with the 6.5x300 just to get a noticeable difference. The same could be said for the various .284 cartridges too. Anything that keeps a guy in that 2950-3200 MVEL. hits the sweet spot as long as you are able to spin those heavier, longer bullets.

You will have a better chance of finding fairy wings right now, than 7STW brass, or ammo. 7PRC is a little better. Think what is going to happen two or more years from now. What cartridge is going to be available, or the components of ? Don't back yourself into a spot where you have to set the rifle aside because you have nothing to feed it.

Seems like the velocities will be barrel dependent when comparing 7mm RM to the 7 PRC. My new 7mm RM has a 1-8" twist and since it's on a Remington action I can seated out the 180 gr ELDM's I intend to run. I don't have any good magnum powders so I'll have to sight in and break in my barrel using IMR 4350. I don't expect to be much above 2800 fps.

I recently rebarreled my 7 Rem mag to a 7 PRC. Used a Shilen 26" Heavy Palma barrel. It's shoots great as far as I'm concerned.
I don't hunt so I just ring steel with it out to 850 yards for now. A new 1200 yard is supposed to open soon near me
The Hornady 175 and 180's are very accurate
No problem ringing 4" steels at 850 with either one

I recently rebarreled my 7 Rem mag to a 7 PRC. Used a Shilen 26" Heavy Palma barrel. It's shoots great as far as I'm concerned.
I don't hunt so I just ring steel with it out to 850 yards for now. A new 1200 yard is supposed to open soon near me
The Hornady 175 and 180's are very accurate
No problem ringing 4" steels at 850 with either one

Nice shooting 👍👍

IMO - the limit is case size and action length. Longer bullets are not optimally designed to run in a short action. If we are talking about a factory reamer, in a short action with the longer 175gr and above bullets everyone wants to run, you have to shove the bullet so far down into the case to fit the stock mag, that you are losing powder capacity. Which then we end up back with WSM and old Rem Mag velocities.

Run a Med action with a med length mag, and now we are changing the game - the bullet can be seated optimized to the chamber and case so we can maximize capacity.

New powders help, faster twist only helps bullet stabilization out of a shorter barrel not velocity. Again, save weight with a 22 or 24" #2 contour which, ewwwww LOL

To me, everyone is chasing lighter rifles which is not my thing. Hornady is chasing more sales, fine. If you don't have a 7mm and want something you can load for AND find factory ammo almost everywhere, great. Get one.

IMO - the limit is case size and action length. Longer bullets are not optimally designed to run in a short action. If we are talking about a factory reamer, in a short action with the longer 175gr and above bullets everyone wants to run, you have to shove the bullet so far down into the case to fit the stock mag, that you are losing powder capacity. Which then we end up back with WSM and old Rem Mag velocities.

Run a Med action with a med length mag, and now we are changing the game - the bullet can be seated optimized to the chamber and case so we can maximize capacity.

New powders help, faster twist only helps bullet stabilization out of a shorter barrel not velocity. Again, save weight with a 22 or 24" #2 contour which, ewwwww LOL

To me, everyone is chasing lighter rifles which is not my thing. Hornady is chasing more sales, fine. If you don't have a 7mm and want something you can load for AND find factory ammo almost everywhere, great. Get one.
But the 7 PRC is designed to run in a LONG action. So, there is no over all length issues here.

Seems like the velocities will be barrel dependent when comparing 7mm RM to the 7 PRC. My new 7mm RM has a 1-8" twist and since it's on a Remington action I can seated out the 180 gr ELDM's I intend to run. I don't have any good magnum powders so I'll have to sight in and break in my barrel using IMR 4350. I don't expect to be much above 2800 fps.
This ^^^^^^^^^
The 700LA provides great maximum magazine COAL coupled with properly throated barrel and twist for longer higher BC bullets will embarrass the PRC. If you have RL26 Pixie Dust, even more so....