6.5-7mm prc

I'm very new to the idea of "wildcatting." It seems with the right knowledge and tooling, just about anything is attemptable. So this seems as good a place to ask as any: are there any rules/limitations? For example, I have thought that, what I would call, a 6.5-280AI would be a neat cartridge. (I have a lot of 280AI brass, and I love the 6.5 ballistic numbers.) Perhaps it already exists with a different name, but I am unaware of it. Is that a realistic concept to explore?
Yes it feasible and would be great.

Check out the Sherman wildcat website. He been doing something similar for years.

I'm very new to the idea of "wildcatting." It seems with the right knowledge and tooling, just about anything is attemptable. So this seems as good a place to ask as any: are there any rules/limitations? For example, I have thought that, what I would call, a 6.5-280AI would be a neat cartridge. (I have a lot of 280AI brass, and I love the 6.5 ballistic numbers.) Perhaps it already exists with a different name, but I am unaware of it. Is that a realistic concept to explore?
I love mine every time I load up and go to the NRA Whittington center that rifle is in the truck. Easy shooting hammer I have taken it out to 1120 yds very accurate cartridge.

This is a tough thread! It takes a derailing and keeps on going. Back to the 6.5-7prc. I think I will improve the shoulder, not so much for case capacity but for brass life. I am playing with a 22 creedmoor build now, but will start gathering parts for the 6.5-7prc improved. Someone should come up with a good chamber design, as long as they don't shorten the neck to much or make the shoulder angle crazy steep trying to gain powder capacity, This will be a true long range hammer.

Unknown munitions on their shoot2hunt podcast mentioned they are starting their 6.5 7prc imp. build. I had hope they would just neck it down. Also mention doing a 6mm 7prc not improved. Should be interesting to follow. Both will be short barrels, 20", I would like to see the results in a 26" or longer barrel. I don't recall if they said they would +P these rifles or not. They already offer both calibers based on the saum case with good results.

In addition to the ones mentioned above, you can look into the 6.5-284 or 6.5x55 AI.

Unknown munitions on their shoot2hunt podcast mentioned they are starting their 6.5 7prc imp. build. I had hope they would just neck it down. Also mention doing a 6mm 7prc not improved. Should be interesting to follow. Both will be short barrels, 20", I would like to see the results in a 26" or longer barrel. I don't recall if they said they would +P these rifles or not. They already offer both calibers based on the saum case with good results.
I talked to Jake at UM and his wife is running a 20" 6.5 SAUM +P shooting 156s at 3050. They have the reamer for the 6.5-7PRC IMP but have not started load development for it yet. They are going to +P it since they are licensed to do that.
Lance Kenyon also told me about his buddy who is shooting a 6.5 MEGA and pushing 156s at 3250fps from a 26" barrel. You can get head stamped brass for that from Sherman.
It looks like all 4 of these cartridges are within 50fps of each other from equal length barrels. I don't like medium length actions and I'm not a SA fanbois. I have no problems running a LA if it makes it easy. So really it comes down to whether you want the easy button of necking down the 7PRC using SAAMI dies with a smaller neck bushing and be done, or fire forming cases for the improved version and buying custom dies.

Last edited:
I talked to Jake at UM and his wife is running a 20" 6.5 SAUM +P shooting 156s at 3050. They have the reamer for the 6.5-7PRC IMP but have not started load development for it yet. They are going to +P it since they are licensed to do that.
Lance Kenyon also told me about his buddy who is shooting a 6.5 MEGA and pushing 156s at 3250fps from a 26" barrel. You can get head stamped brass for that from Sherman.
It looks like all 4 of these cartridges are within 50fps of each other from equal length barrels. I don't like medium length actions and I'm not a SA fanbois. I have no problems running a LA if it makes it easy. So really it comes down to whether you want the easy button of necking down the 7PRC using SAAMI dies with a smaller neck bushing and be done, or fire forming cases for the improved version and buying custom dies.
Don't forget 6.5 Max.
76-77grs H20

Recent Posts