6.5 prc, 7wsm or 7mm rm?

My vote is the 7RM - I have two of them. One is a custom build on a 700 action with a 27" heavy sporter barrel, T3 Terminator break, and JAE stock. The other is a rem 700 sendero at almost a third the cost, but shoots as good as the custom build. Both these rifle can kill elk out to ~800 yards. Get into reloading, it's addictive. You have a great selection of projectiles from hornady and Berger + others, that do not require too much tuning. I shoot the Berger 168g classic hunter with great results on deer sized game! Plan on switching to the new Berger 175g elite hunter, this will pickup the weight and BC a little.
I don't have any experience with the 6.5PRC, but I had a 6.5 Creedmoor (sold), and from my point of view these don't cut the mustard for your intended purpose?

What ever you decide. - Go have fun and enjoy the baby!
..M
40E56348-B38E-4ABA-82C2-5903BF31C4C0.jpeg

Im looking for one last quality rifle before I have another kid. This rifle will likely be the last one for a few years as my shooting has diminished already. I want the rifle to be a all around, target and hunting rifle. Weight doesn't bother me, I'm in good shape. I would like the ability to ring steel at 1k and hunt elk if needed. I've considered a 6.5cm, but I don't know if it's enough for elk. I don't reload, and will probably shoot 2-250 rounds a year out of the rifle. My budget is around 3-3500 for the rifle alone.
30 Nosler or 300 PRC, nuff said.

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like the 7mm or 6.5prc would be the best options at this point. I'm starting my search for a rifle!

The OP's criteria was 6.5 PRC, 7mm WSM or 7mm RM, if you think the OP should look outside those listed calibers? Then I counter that the 300 Norma Magnum or 338 Edge are up for consideration?

..M
I will go with you on that. I love all calibers. It is such a wonderful thing we have all the different chamberings available to us. As for using the gun for elk, bigger is better.

Rem mag either if you reload or not. Factory 162 eldx go for ~1.45$/pop, or cheapest 140 grains go for less than 70 cents. Can even find 162eldx hand loaded for like ~1.3$/pop at decent fps (higher than factory). Or really good loads for 3.5-4$ from coppercreekammo (2850-3050fps depending on grains), they can also develop a load for you. Im sure folks here can recommend other companies that do reloads. Also you can send used brass to reloaders and then price goes significantly lower. Or you can start reloading yourself. By the way you can save shitload of money by buying browning x bolt hells canyon long range rifle, for ~1200$, it has 8 twist, and is reallllyyy good rifle for the money.

Agreed, "Respect the Classics" Go old school and shoot the 7 mm RM in a good gun, then top it with great optics and you will be doing fine. Finding the right ammo or having some custom stuff made for you will dial you in. The first year, you may shoot it a bit more and then it will be dialed and ready for seasons. Plus your baby will be older and you'll have your hands full - congrats on the kid !!

Ps. I own and love my 7 WSM, but I load and spend $ on brass that is hard to get. My kids are gone from the house, so I now spend what I spent on food for 2 boys on fun stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.