6.5 PRC Build

Your wrong. Im an outfitter here in Montana. Not sure what hype looks like where your from. But we are seeing some pretty **** impressive results on Elk and big Mule deer at long range since we started using this caliber. The caliber is absolutely devastating with the 156 bergers. The 284 just doesnt perform on elk like the PRC does. This is real world experience not arm chair ballistics.

The 6.5 PRC is a very viable cartridge, but using 140-156gr bullets I'd be inclined to call it a draw between the 6.5x284 and 6.5 PRC based on real world results on game, and real world ballistics…

The 6.5 PRC is a very viable cartridge, but using 140-156gr bullets I'd be inclined to call it a draw between the 6.5x284 and 6.5 PRC based on real world results on game, and real world ballistics…
Maybe but you need a 26" barrel and long actuon to get the 6,5x284 to shine. The 6.5 PRC doesnt. That makes a big difference in true mountain hunting. Getting guns in scabbards, back packs, through blow down timber ect....That extra length doesnt sound like much but it really is. The 6.5 PRC wins hounds down as a lightweight mountain gun.

Maybe but you need a 26" barrel and long actuon to get the 6,5x284 to shine. The 6.5 PRC doesnt. That makes a big difference in true mountain hunting. Getting guns in scabbards, back packs, through blow down timber ect....That extra length doesnt sound like much but it really is. The 6.5 PRC wins hounds down as a lightweight mountain gun.

No, not based on what I have seen. Barrel length /velocity relationship between the two is pretty close. As much as we would like it to be so, there is not a magical difference between the two cartridges with comparable rifles/loads.

Last edited:
Sorry with your analysis but the "Length" and makes a BIG DIFFERENCE is false and that "The 6.5 PRC wins hounds down as a lightweight mountain gun".
Please define how you came up with this statement and how the 6.5 PRC is so much better?
First I will say the cons on the 6.5X284
It is a rebated case and can cause feeding issues
Short Action-Medium Action-Long Action -DEPENDING on the COAL and bullets you use.
Factory Ammo - Limited
After that the 6.5X284 has been used by thousands of shooters in both taking game and competition for YEARS!
I won't bring up all the cons of the 6.5PRC. I do think that it is a good cartridge!

Your should also use spell check!

Please let us know how "The 6.5 PRC wins hounds down as a lightweight mountain gun".
Is not the weight of the rifle determined by the components assembled in the rifle???
NOT THE CALIBER!!!

"Maybe but you need a 26" barrel and long actuon to get the 6,5x284 to shine". "The 6.5 PRC doesn't." -
PLEASE BACK UP THAT STATEMENT
IF A BULLET WITH THE SAME WEIGHT, SAME DIAMETER IS TRAVELING AT THE SAME VELOSITY-WILL IT NOT HAVE THE SAME IMPACT???

You did not show where the 6.5PRC has more velocity with a shorter barrel than the 6.5X284

I am in fact a 6.5X 284 fan, but if you are going to compare calibers make sure that you have facts and no need to knock down an older caliber for a newer one. The 6.5PRC also has it's misgivings, but it is still a great 6.5 caliber. I am sure that in a few years that there will be more 6.5s.
Thanks
Len