6.5 PRC

Ranger21

I had a very successful 2021 hunting season. My highlight was after harvesting a cow elk at 1,053 yards with my ruger Hawkeye Mark 2, it was a long poke however, bullet was fast enough to do what it was meant to do and the elk never new what hit her, she went down like a ton of bricks, however after doing my homework and reading my ballistics out for that range I was concerned how weak the bullet had gotten, speed was fine just the power behind was a little nerving, therefore I bought a 6.5 prc in a howa, bur after looking and handling it I was concerned with the houge stocks flexibility, and the trigger I did not like at all, once I starting penciling stock, trigger and embedment I was like no, so I sold it and invested in a seekins havok PH2 in a 6.5 PRC, I hope I made the right decision and feel free to comment.

Pretty impressive cartridge with 156 bergers and n570. I don't like reloading for it because of the swell near the base but there's no denying it's efficiency. I prefer the 6.5-300 but it definitely needs more powder to equal or better. I'm not sure how hard it is to rebarrel that rifle but that's something I weigh heavy these days if I plan on shooting it a lot. Will be good to hear how it works for you

I had a great shooting 6.5 prc but it's gone now !! It was a awesome shooter with 156 Berger's and was fun to bang steel with. And with great ballistics also but the PRC was just not for me so it's gone. People go crazy for the PRC and they are great cartridge but I don't want to own a gun that it's almost impossible to find reloading components for even though I hoarded like a mofo before I got the PRC.

I had a very successful 2021 hunting season. My highlight was after harvesting a cow elk at 1,053 yards with my ruger Hawkeye Mark 2, it was a long poke however, bullet was fast enough to do what it was meant to do and the elk never new what hit her, she went down like a ton of bricks, however after doing my homework and reading my ballistics out for that range I was concerned how weak the bullet had gotten, speed was fine just the power behind was a little nerving, therefore I bought a 6.5 prc in a howa, bur after looking and handling it I was concerned with the houge stocks flexibility, and the trigger I did not like at all, once I starting penciling stock, trigger and embedment I was like no, so I sold it and invested in a seekins havok PH2 in a 6.5 PRC, I hope I made the right decision and feel free to comment.
This is rather simplistic but "Placement over Displacement".

Use a quality constructed bullet and put it where it belongs and you succeed.

Personally I'm one that likes massive energy too so I tend to shoot things that are both heavy and move really fast but it boils down really to the bullet and where you put it.

Remember the 6.5x55 has been killing all large game in the northern countries and Africa for more than a century and for most of that time without even the use of modern bullets.

I never bought into the hype of the 6.5's till I spent a year shooting a .260 Rem at everything.

I have bigger rounds but the truth of the matter is they are not needed when you put the bullet where it belongs.

l'd say you're probably on the right track. Shoot what you are comfortable with and shoot well and you'll have a whole lot of success.

To me a 6.5 prc is not a 1k yard elk cartridge but to each there own I guess.
It's clearly just an opinion but the reality is that is more shooter than cartridge at that point as long as terminal ballistics criteria is met. The PRC generally meets the criteria depending on which rule you choose to follow. I run a PRC, 6.5-284's prior to that, I don't really consider it a 1k elk rifle either but have no doubt it will get the job done if I need it to. Still runs over 1900 fps and 1300 lbs where I am at 1k.

Seekins is a fine choice.

I'm having a 6.5 PRC built. I've told my smith he can take his time because I cannot come across enough components to feel confident with the caliber from a reloading aspect. I've got what I would need to get going but have only been able to come across two box of loaded ammo cause I cannot come across brass without paying dumb amounts for 50 or 100rds. Which I'm not willing to do yet. Numbers look good but debating on selling what I have and going a different 6.5 route.

I'm having a 6.5 PRC built. I've told my smith he can take his time because I cannot come across enough components to feel confident with the caliber from a reloading aspect. I've got what I would need to get going but have only been able to come across two box of loaded ammo cause I cannot come across brass without paying dumb amounts for 50 or 100rds. Which I'm not willing to do yet. Numbers look good but debating on selling what I have and going a different 6.5 route.
If you decide to sell components. Let me know.... I am always looking.

I respect that, I don't ever feel like I'll want to make a shot like that again, literally from the time the round goes off, it only takes a second for an animal to move enough and end up with an undesirable shot.
I got a whitetail at about 950 yds back in 2008 and know exactly where you are coming from.