6.5 PRC Build

Oh really???

And no, nobody can go buy a box of ammo and a rifle over the counter and go shoot at 1000 yards. That is why I call it marketing HYPE! It's not realistic. They make you THINK it is, so you'll buy into their ********, and buy their products, but it's not.
Can do. Done it. With a PRC and off the shelf 147 ELD-M's. :)🤠👍

I've done it with a bone stock Tikka 6.5CM and American gunners. A lot has changed in 3 years, thousands and thousands of 6.5 PRC shots being just some of them. When Mud said that, he felt he was right. However, as most comments in social media don't age well, this one is no different. Since then, we have more shooters running the PRC than we do the 6.5x284. How do I know? Availability. It's simple. Will this argument ever die? Doubtful. Someone resurrected a 3 year old thread… that's where we are as a people I guess.
Shoot what you want, don't be stupid and remember that unless you're married to it, its opinion doesn't matter

ps, my intro to LR was a 6.5x284. Don't have one anymore, but I do own a really nice 6.5PRC

Agreed. Lot of guys using the Hornady factory ammo for LRH and PRS competition with good results. But if changing lot#'s it would be wise to confirm long range POI. At 1000 yards it doesn't take much process/component variation to miss a 10" vital area. I know a few hunters/shooters that learned this the hard way.

Agreed. Lot of guys using the Hornady factory ammo for LRH and PRS competition with good results. But if changing lot#'s it would be wise to confirm long range POI. At 1000 yards it doesn't take much process/component variation to miss a 10" vital area. I know a few hunters/shooters that learned this the hard way.
For sure. Same as with handloads... I always do some long-range verification shots before hunting with any ammo.

I've done it with a bone stock Tikka 6.5CM and American gunners. A lot has changed in 3 years, thousands and thousands of 6.5 PRC shots being just some of them. When Mud said that, he felt he was right. However, as most comments in social media don't age well, this one is no different. Since then, we have more shooters running the PRC than we do the 6.5x284. How do I know? Availability. It's simple. Will this argument ever die? Doubtful. Someone resurrected a 3 year old thread… that's where we are as a people I guess.
Shoot what you want, don't be stupid and remember that unless you're married to it, its opinion doesn't matter

ps, my intro to LR was a 6.5x284. Don't have one anymore, but I do own a really nice 6.5PRC
I still have a 6.5x284. Love it. And no hate for Mud - good guy he is. I just have an aversion to strong, absolute statements about perspective & relative issues in general. That's where we start missing each other, and what drives folks apart too often. ;) We all need a little more love these days - and need to give it too. 😍

hi guys,
I tried a search on the topic and couldn't find any threads so appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Long story short, I've been planning and saving for a 6.5-284 build and now wonder about a 6.5 PRC instead.

Thoughts?

Where should I go for latter if that is best path?

Thanks,

Jeff
I just bought a factory 6.5 prc early this year. When I bought, there weren't a whole lot of options for brass, recommended powders were almost impossible to find and bullets were scarce. Just last week I saw my first box of factory Hornady rounds. In the end, I was diligent and was able to find all the required parts to load some rounds and now there are even more options with ADG, Lapua, Peterson, etc for brass. I don't have any Hornady brass myself, but a friend of mine is on his 8th load with them. I ended up going with Hammer bullets cause they are easily available. I'm happy with my purchase and it will be my main hunting rifle. Just build whatever you want and have fun with it.

I have a custom 6.5 Creedmoor, not sure I need a PRC but hate hard kicking magnums. the 6.5 PRC seems like almost a replacement for the Creedmoor. I'm toying with selling the Creedmoor and building a PRC.

P3141635.jpg

My 6.5 PRC X-bolt Pro with the old SWFA scope. Now it has a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 W/ G3 reticle.

Nice choice of Rifle 6.5 PRC and scope 418yds with 143 eldx Middle pic looking back at the barn where I shot from.
Scope is a swfa 3x15 44mm Mil reticle

Attachments

• Buck 4.jpg
    Buck 4.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
  • Buck 3.jpg
    Buck 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • Deer 5.jpg
    Deer 5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 69
Stick with a 6.5x284 or .260 AI... Don't fall into the 6.5 PRC hype.
Your wrong. Im an outfitter here in Montana. Not sure what hype looks like where your from. But we are seeing some pretty **** impressive results on Elk and big Mule deer at long range since we started using this caliber. The caliber is absolutely devastating with the 156 bergers. The 284 just doesnt perform on elk like the PRC does. This is real world experience not arm chair ballistics.

Your wrong. Im an outfitter here in Montana. Not sure what hype looks like where your from. But we are seeing some pretty **** impressive results on Elk and big Mule deer at long range since we started using this caliber. The caliber is absolutely devastating with the 156 bergers. The 284 just doesnt perform on elk like the PRC does. This is real world experience not arm chair ballistics.
This debate between the 6.5 PRC and 6.5X284 could go on for another 200 posts and a few years. There will most likely be another cartridge built in a few years where shooters say it is better than the 6.5 PRC. Realistically both calibers are almost ballistically identical. You can find the Pros and Cons with both cases, but if you match the 6.5X284 against the 6.5PRC with the same barrel length, twist rate, velocity and same bullet they are going to do the same an elk. The biggest disadvantage for the 6.5X284 is that there are limited factory loads compared to the 6.5 PRC.