6.5 PRC or 6.5 SAUM?

Went round and round with this myself. Decided on the 6.5 ss. Fits in a short action better and price on brass is not much difference. Excited to get started with it in March!

What about the 6.5SS. I have two. Love them. Fits a bit better in an SA, with seating the bullets out a bit further in the same COAL. 40° shoulder is very efficiently as well.

I have built several 6.5 PRC and really like them, they all shoot lights out with factory and hand loads.
With that said my next two builds in the hopper will be a 6.5 SS built on a Defiance Rebel (2.99) Short Action BDL bottom metal and a 6.5 Sherman Max built on a Defiance Deviant Ultra Light "XM" Defiance (Sunny Hill) BDL bottom metal. Just looking to try something off the beaten path.

Last edited:
My Switch barrel is getting spun up here this month I debated on PRC,SAUM or the 6.5 Max. For the extra little effort I'm going 6.5 Max with a 23 " 1-7.5 twist to run 156 I'm guessing but it should push them well over 3K with N570 and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot elk with it. If your going to run a SAUM then check out the Max.

I have built several 6.5 PRC and really like them, they all shoot lights out with factory and hand loads.
With that said my next two builds in the hopper will be a 6.5 SS built on a Defiance Rebel (2.99) Short Action BDL bottom metal and a 6.5 Sherman Max built on a Defiance Deviant Ultra Light "XM" Defiance (Sunny Hill) BDL bottom metal. Just looking to try something off the beaten path.
I'd be very interested in seeing what the max does. What barrel length you going to run?

I was going to have a PRC built up but after reading up on the 6.5SS I went that route instead. Should be here in about another 6 weeks.

I'd be very interested in seeing what the max does. What barrel length you going to run?
I plan on running a 24" Proof Carbon Fiber Sendero Contour mirroring the 6.5 PRC in the attached picture which is also built on a "XM" action. The only difference is I will be using a Defiance Ultralght action instead of a Defiance Rebel action. Colors will change to OD green on the 6.5 Max build.

IMG_1431.jpg

You'll get that easily I think. I was hoping it'd do 3200 from a 26" w/o pressure. But who knows!
With my LA Sherman 26" pipe I was getting 3305 with a 140 after barrel broke in I tried some 160 matrix was right around 3160 and the max is supposed to out run Sherman so we should both be good but as you say who knows but there's some comparison for you.

I just received my Defiance action and am getting ready to order a Proof 1-7.5 twist barrel. My question is there any advantage of a SAUM over a PRC? I strictly handload and I want a 24" barrel. This will be for deer, steel and possibly elk out to 700 yards?
I tend to buy for the long term and select calibers/cartridges the same way. The PRC will almost certainly have much more "sticking power" in the decades to come and a much greater selection of brass available once the market gets saturated.

The Saum's will have a niche following for a long time but they will steadily dwindle in numbers over time and the availability of brass will dwindle along with them.

Man no offense but hope you are wrong I'm having one built rigjt now. Been watching this thread for awhile as I too was on the fence but the SAUM from a handloading and hunting just seems to call to me

I tend to buy for the long term and select calibers/cartridges the same way. The PRC will almost certainly have much more "sticking power" in the decades to come and a much greater selection of brass available once the market gets saturated.

The Saum's will have a niche following for a long time but they will steadily dwindle in numbers over time and the availability of brass will dwindle along with them.
This was my only hesitation with my 6.5 SS build that I just started. "Business Continuity" is a big deal where i work and once a year we have to run through the scenario of "what if so and so (Rich Sherman in this case) gets hit by a bus tomorrow, how do we keep this train on the tracks moving forward without him?" and we have well documented plans on just how to do that.

I wondered if 2-5-10-15+ years down the road if the Sherman cartridges will still be there along with the components. But if the brass and reamers did ever dry up we're only a simple barrel swap away from having the latest and greatest cartridge again. Yeah you do lose the investment into the brass and dies but at that point we'll have likely gotten our money out of them.

This was my only hesitation with my 6.5 SS build that I just started. "Business Continuity" is a big deal where i work and once a year we have to run through the scenario of "what if so and so (Rich Sherman in this case) gets hit by a bus tomorrow, how do we keep this train on the tracks moving forward without him?" and we have well documented plans on just how to do that.

I wondered if 2-5-10-15+ years down the road if the Sherman cartridges will still be there along with the components. But if the brass and reamers did ever dry up we're only a simple barrel swap away from having the latest and greatest cartridge again. Yeah you do lose the investment into the brass and dies but at that point we'll have likely gotten our money out of them.
That's a **** good point! Or you just buy enough brass to burn the barrel or two, out when you first invest into the cartridge.