6.5 saum or 7mm saum

You could also run them in a Win 70 S/A and get 3.1" COAL.

My choice would be the 7mm SS as you have ADG factory cases available now. That with the 180 ELD would make a nice hunter for just about anything in the power ability of the cartridge, For banging steel at the LR limits the 197 SMK would be interesting. Just make sure you get a barrel with enough twist to cover any bullet you might ever want to shoot.

You could also run them in a Win 70 S/A and get 3.1" COAL.

My choice would be the 7mm SS as you have ADG factory cases available now. That with the 180 ELD would make a nice hunter for just about anything in the power ability of the cartridge, For banging steel at the LR limits the 197 SMK would be interesting. Just make sure you get a barrel with enough twist to cover any bullet you might ever want to shoot.
I have seen 7mm ss for sale built on a long action. What is the point of that if it is designed specifically for a short action?

I have seen 7mm ss for sale built on a long action. What is the point of that if it is designed specifically for a short action?
There is a .28 Sherman cartridge, which is designed for long actions, and based off a highly modified and improved .270 Winchester parent case.

The SS (Sherman Shortmag) cartridges are designed specifically for short actions.

The only thing I can figure is maybe someone only had a long action on-hand and didn't have the cash to buy a short action?

I believe Rich has a smith to make savage prefits. there was a tread a while ago and price was reasonable.

There is a .28 Sherman cartridge, which is designed for long actions, and based off a highly modified and improved .270 Winchester parent case.

The SS (Sherman Shortmag) cartridges are designed specifically for short actions.

The only thing I can figure is maybe someone only had a long action on-hand and didn't have the cash to buy a short action?
It was built on a 700 long action. Would there be a need to run a ss cartridge on a long action? Any benifits at all?

It was built on a 700 long action. Would there be a need to run a ss cartridge on a long action? Any benifits at all?
Not that I'm aware of... A magnum 700 short action bolt, receiver, and magazine box & follower should be enough to run the SS cartridges without need of modification... At least that's what I gathered from conversations with Rich.

For 100% assurance, I'd shoot him a PM, and ask him all your questions. He's a great guy, and doesn't mind talking to customers or potential customers about his cartridges.

Not that I'm aware of... A magnum 700 short action bolt, receiver, and magazine box & follower should be enough to run the SS cartridges without need of modification... At least that's what I gathered from conversations with Rich.

For 100% assurance, I'd shoot him a PM, and ask him all your questions. He's a great guy, and doesn't mind talking to customers or potential customers about his cartridges.
I would love to build a 7mm ss. Just don't want to go through all the waiting. If I'm patient enough I might just be able to find one for sale.

I would love to build a 7mm ss. Just don't want to go through all the waiting. If I'm patient enough I might just be able to find one for sale.
He sells reamers and dies, so all you need to do is order both from him, and get a 1:8 twist 7mm barrel blank in the contour of your choice. Find you a good smith with a short wait time, and you'll be set.

I know a smith in the Elko, Nevada area that built and shoots a 7mmSS. Don't remember what action he did his on. He has done three Sherman's for me as well and all shoot very well.

He sells reamers and dies, so all you need to do is order both from him, and get a 1:8 twist 7mm barrel blank in the contour of your choice. Find you a good smith with a short wait time, and you'll be set.
I'm thinking about going with a Stiller action. Finding someone in the area that does good work is my main concern

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.